Need A New Browser

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by akirauk, Sep 27, 2005.

1. BurninH2O

BurninH2O Senior Member

ok IE 7 is so buggy so don't even think about it.

2. Jimipal56

Jimipal56 Member

FIrefox all the way baby.

3. BurninH2O

BurninH2O Senior Member

yes but which version u prefer?

4. XMasterX

XMasterX Well-Known Member

I use both FF and O... hence my sig down there..

I use Opera more these days, I dunno, I just like to save my tabs... :D

5. XxLostXx

XxLostXx Well-Known Member

Actually I'll rephrase that:

Ditch sh!t old IE and go to http://www.getfirefox.com

That's your best bet :D

6. Jimit87

Jimit87 Well-Known Member

i use firfox old version and IE the most.

7. Ami

Ami Well-Known Member

FIREFOX

~alex B)

8. ViperAFK

ViperAFK Well-Known Member

I mainly use firefox, opera is good too, the two best IMO.

9. got chris?

got chris? Well-Known Member

i just have ie.

10. xlink

xlink GR's Tech Enthusiast

http://iesucks.com

anone using IE should continue to use it though as their using it assures that my FF and Opera stay intargetted.

11. HaSh

HaSh Well-Known Member

opera is 100 times better then firefox, i switched from firefox to opera and i had a bunch of mods installed in ff to make it faster and opera was wayy faster just bye itself, and opera has a built in bittorrent.

12. Evolution Concepts

Evolution Concepts Well-Known Member

i dont care what anyone says FIREFOX pwns everythng..

13. T E M P L A R

T E M P L A R Well-Known Member

14. Gloamgeist

Gloamgeist Well-Known Member

BIG POST!!! You may not want to read it all. :P But it may interest a few people.
    I use Mozilla (NOT Firefox) And no Mozilla and Mozilla FF are NOT one and the same.
    If anyone cares to read it, below is a conversation I had on another forum some time ago.
    This isn't all of the topic, but it is most of what was said about browsers.
    By the way, when it says Iggy, that's me. ;)

</div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE ("Iggy")</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'>
    You may like Opera better then FireFox. It has more of an IE feel to it now, but also has tabs like FireFox and Mozilla. It also has better security and is more standards compliant then IE. Hell these days any other browser is more standards compliant then IE! lol

They have made some changes to it since the last time I checked it out. I like what they did, but I will stick to Mozilla. I'm picky. I don't even like FireFox!  lol
    If they ever mess up Mozilla I just might go to Opera. If it keeps changing for the better anyway. Not unless they mess Mozilla up though.[/b][/quote]

</div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE ("Kabuki")</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'>personaly, firefox and opera can lick my _____. IE has given me the best experience with the least problems. Iv had problems viewing a few websites with mozilla, and the last time i used opera, i dont think it was even possible to stay cookied in anywhere.[/b][/quote]

</div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE ("Iggy")</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'>Yeah, you can have problems viewing some websites with Mozilla or any other non IE browsers.
    It's not because there is anything wrong with mozilla or that IE is better, because it is not.

The problem comes from the fact that IE is not standards compliant AND the fact that Microsoft adds thier own crap that no one else has (they even have thier own version of Java, and got sued because they should not, but they have the money so...) AND if you use Microsoft Frontpage (which many people do) to make your pages it will be pretty much for IE only unless you know what you are doing and add the correct html.

It got that way because the vast majority of people learned of, and started getting on the net after Microsoft added IE to Windows, and not knowing anything about the web and that being the only browser on windows, that is what they used first. Being new to everything PC they just used what was there. Got used to it, and kept using it.

Multiply that by millions of noobs not knowing any other way, by a number of years, and IE becomes by far the most used browser.
    Then add to that, that for a short time (a very short time) IE was actually the best browser, which brought more people to IE that used to use Netscape, and you can see why so many pages are written for IE only. In Microsoft Frontpage.

That is changing though. More people are using other browsers. The more people switch the more pages will be written to standards. Then Microsoft will make IE standards compliant, and it will start all over again.

Except it is doubtfull that IE will ever have 95% of browser users using IE ever again. To many people are learning. They have already lost control. IE will just be another browser and they will have to fix it.

http://www.brainstormsandraves.com/archives/2004/07/18/ie6/

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2004/06/28/cert_ditch_explorer/

http://news.zdnet.com/2100-1009_22-5250697.html

http://www.vitta.org.au/news/index.php?feed=5

http://www.support-forums.com/showthread.php?t=813

...and on and on and on.[/b][/quote]

</div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE ("ugly")</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'>My brain hurts[/b][/quote]

</div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE ("Kabuki")</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'>that was a great post, and right now im downloading opera lol. Plus i like the idea of so many possible addons and skins.[/b][/quote]

</div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE ("Iggy")</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'>lol  Opera! Ick!  lol  I'm a Mozilla man. I don't even like FireFox! lol

A new browser does take some time getting used to. If you really do need it, IE is alway there for you. It is real hard to get rid of. lol
    You can get rid of it, but you kinda need it for windows update.
    ...and that page that you really want to see but can't because it is IE only.
    I'm glad I come across less an less of those these days.  :)[/b][/quote]

</div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE ("Kabuki")</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'>Mozilla makes a mozilla browser and firefox??[/b][/quote]

</div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE ("Iggy")</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'>Yeah, Mozilla is the browser that FireFox is based off of.
    Mozilla comes with a browser, an e-mail and newsgroup client, IRC  client, and HTML editor. All integrated.

They made FireFox as a stand-alone browser. That way it could be smaller.

I would use FireFox if is was just the Mozilla browser by itself, but they made some changes that I don't like in the way that it works.
    So I just install the Mozilla browser by itself. You don't have to have all that other stuff if you don't want it, but you do have to download the larger install program.

There are a number of things you can do in Mozilla that you can't do in FireFox. There are some of the functions that I use all the time in Mozilla that are just not there in FireFox. Or a pain to get to.

Plus the skin I have on XP doesn't work well with FF. When I have multiple tabs open I can't read the page info on the tabs because they have black text on a black background. Same thing at the bottom of the browser.

FireFox is the only program on my computer that has that problem, so I know it is something they did to FF.

FF and Mozilla look very much alike. You can use most add-ons in either browser. For now anyway. That will slowly change as each browser is updated down the road and they become more and more different.[/b][/quote]

</div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE ("Safire")</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'>At first I didn't like mozilla firefox but that is all I use now[/b][/quote]

</div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE ("Iggy")</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'>Yeah, it does take a bit of getting used to a new browser. I've had to do it a few times. Most of the time it was getting used to a new browser that had more features. Nothing has more then Mozilla does though. Which is another reason I don't care for FireFox. It is missing to many features that I use all the time.

Opera seems to have a lot of features too, but I only played with it for a bit. I was impressed with it though.[/b][/quote]

15. rajarshi

rajarshi Well-Known Member

All browsers are pretty much the same .. I'm forced to use IE at office, and at home, I use Opera and Firefox .. from what i've noticed, for absolute newbies, a well patched IE is good enuf .. but as ur need grow, Opera and Firefox Excel ... I feel that Firefox is a tad faster than Opera .. but the default Opera has lots more features ... and esp ver8.5 and above .. which are freeware and have no ad bars.