Myspace...is It Safe?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by SSPIMPLIVE, May 30, 2006.

1. SSPIMPLIVE

SSPIMPLIVE Well-Known Member

Well lets start a discussion on whether myspace is safe or not.

When posting a reply please try to give a good reason on why or why you don't think that myspace is a safe website for people to use.

*Example*
    I believe that myspace isn't a very safe site for people to be using because our local news did a report on it to find out how easy it is to find out where people live and other personal information.

This is a true story about a girl that lives in Virginia. One day a girl was walking home from school and could have swore she heard someone walking behind her. So she started to walk as fast as she could to get home. Once she was home she did what she did every day. She would come home and talk to a person that claimed to have been as old as she was and live on the other side of the country. So oneday in the middle of her softball game she noticed a man she had never seen before just staring at her continuously. Finally after her game the person followed here to see where she lived and once he found out he left to go to a restaraunt and to wait until her parents had gotten home. Once her parents were home the guy came over and talked to her father. About thirty minutes later her dad called here into the living room and to her surprise when she got down there she saw the same person that was looking at her at her softball game on her couch. So they started talking and the person said that he was a cop. They started talking about the conversation and how people lie about their ages to get to know you better and even do bad things to you. After this conversation she went back up to her room and made sure that she had deleted anyone that she didn't know on there.

This girl is lucky that this time it was a cop so therefore I believe that myspace is a danger for people to use.

2. dementia

dementia Well-Known Member

Your only as vulnerable as you make yourself out to be. If you give out personal information, let people on your friends list you dont know in real life, etc. then thats your fault. I am not saying being raped is a good thing, but it will sure as hell set an example to other kids to not release personal information.

I have seen 13 yearolds pronouncing themselves as 18 year olds and dressing up like skanks on myspace, those are the types of girls predators look for.

3. Teng

Teng Member

Myspace is no more dangerous than AIM or any other instant messaging or forum can be. It depends on, as Dementia said, whether or not you give out information. Myspace is just another way to do that, and probably more convenient. Just don't give out info, and don't accept people that you don't actually know.

4. SSPIMPLIVE

SSPIMPLIVE Well-Known Member

I agree with that because I know many people that lie about their age so that everyone can see their profile and in their profile it tells where they live and all the stuff people need to stalk them and do whatever they want to.

In the new broadcast they explained all that you have to do which I believe they shouldnt have done because there are probally people that would do it in my town.

5. .turkey

.turkey Well-Known Member

It's just so foolish how people think there aren't creeps in the world that would stalk them... or worse. Just don't give out any personal info. The most I would give is my name. (perhaps age)

6. Mcal

Mcal Well-Known Member

my health teacher told the same sxact story very scary but everyone talks to someone they dont know online u just have to be careful

7. GLAMOURofCORRUPTION

GLAMOURofCORRUPTION Well-Known Member

I don't use myspace, but when I signed up I used fake info ..

I don't belive personal info should be given out online.

8. Rufio

Rufio Well-Known Member

personally i think myspace is gay, but i dont really think it is that unsafe, i mean, it is always unsafe to post ---- about you on the internet, but there are so many people that do it

9. Broken

Broken Well-Known Member

Everything you do is unsafe nowadays, online anyways.
    MySpace is no different then MSN, Aim, Yahoo, or even when signing up for GR. Anything you go on can be tracked, or your phone numbers used.

So no, Myspace is not particularly dangerous.

10. Red Alert

Red Alert Senior Member

I agree if you have no common sense and are gullible stay off the internet its not safe out here :P

11. Broken

Broken Well-Known Member

Yesh.
    Old men rape you daily

12. DiabloDj1

DiabloDj1 Well-Known Member

The only people who have problems cuz of myspace are the ones that are complete douches...

kinda like what Dementia said, the 13 yr olds that dress like skanks and go as 18 yr olds

also agree with Red Alert.

13. .Nector Vectors.

.Nector Vectors. Well-Known Member

Hell. You could get a name of someone of online games.. Just by hacking onto the name of the computer..

then look it up in the phone book and BOOM.

14. DiabloDj1

DiabloDj1 Well-Known Member

Hi!

I'm Dave!

*3 days later...gets raped by the poster below*

15. GLAMOURofCORRUPTION

GLAMOURofCORRUPTION Well-Known Member

me. :P