My Cat

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by falcata55, Jul 30, 2008.

1. falcata55

falcata55 Well-Known Member

Well I got a cat about a week ago, and its 4 years old, living with its original owner for 3 years and another owner for 1 year, I now have the cat for a week 'so far'. Sounds pretty depressing for the cat i must say :(

but, I am going to take extremely good care of this cat and make sure that it is always safe. this is my first pet, and theres some things im not sure about.

my cat is a 4 year old neutered female persian cat.

alright so, what i noticed about my cat is that she gets very teary eyed often, and her fur under her eyes gets wet and dries up turning it a bit brown or something, is this normal for a cat or no?

purring: so a couple minutes ago i was petting her while she was about to go to sleep and i hear a purr, is this a good thing or a bad thing?

bathing: when bathing her, if she meows or tries to jump out of the shower, should i discontinue giving her baths or should i let her get used to it?

sometimes when i approach my cat, it doesnt run away, but some other times, shed run away and run up the stairs looking down to see if i would walk up, why is this?

a couple days ago, she was sneezing a LOT(maybe like 20 times in a row), is this normal?

so.. any suggestions for the cat? how do i get her to get used to the house and new people?

2. SM RxBandits

SM RxBandits Senior Member

purring its normal. cats dont like water. sneezing means the cat is probably sick. either a simple cold or possibly something worse.

3. Aedus

Aedus Senior Member

I don't know much, but there is a few things I know.

The eyes thing I don't know about, cant help with this question.

Purr'ing from a cat means it's relaxing / enjoying itself, when you pet it and it purrs it means you're doing it fine, so don't worry about that.

Bathing is a cats worst nightmare, they HATE water, but you must keep washing her. She will never get used to being washed but you have to do every now and again.

Cats are like people, they sometimes need their own space. She may run to the top of the stairs and look back down to check if you're coming up, maybe she wants to sleep on your bed or something? You can't tell. But unless they start to get angry when you approach there is nothing wrong, they are independent creatures and will sometimes want their own space and sometimes want a pet.

Sneezing is probably due to pollen, pets get hay fever and such too, nothing to worry about.

To get her used to the house and people just let her make herself at home, give her time, and space to settle in, it doesn't matter how nice you are to her, when she's ready to settle down she will, and you can't really influence that. Just be patient and treat her right and eventually she will be comfortable.

4. Renagade

Renagade Senior Member

Your cat is a puss-y

Seriously... Use google. You would find better answers there rather than on a Gaming/Graphics website.

5. zzapper

zzapper Well-Known Member

Probably the main reason she'll sometimes run away from you is, that she has to get used to you seeing you are a new owner.

6. annoyance

annoyance Member

let sleeping dogs lie..

7. Geox

Geox Well-Known Member

when a cat sneezes it means its going to rain...

also that i could be sick, but probobly not, cats very rarely get sick

8. Henri

Henri Well-Known Member

new cat owners how do i love them (iam a cat owner myself)

so your cat is a persian so sneezing trouble with breathing and the fur around her eyes and nose comes with that race thanks to their flat nose and fur, maybe the vet can give you some help/advice. A cat dislikes water maybe you should do it slowly and let her getting used to the water (why should you wash a cat anyway when she can perfectly groom theirselves) , persians also have long furr so unless you want a knot filled furr i suggest you coam it. if the sneezing comes with coughing than your precious furr ball has a sneeze disease than go to the vet asap. and as far as that she's running away from you is that she might not be accustomed to the new house or you yet, it took me an hour with lying on my back and gently calming the cat down before she is what she is now so i suggest fill a water bowl give her some food and let her calmy scout the house, hope that helps for you if all else fails than go to a licensed persian breeder those people can give you advice. for the rest be patient and spend alot of time and ill bet you have a healthy 4 year old furrball

9. Gurly

Gurly Well-Known Member

i have 2 cats myself one being persian :)

sneezing is quite common or sometimes its even a kinda cough normally results in a hairball or somthing
    but best advice i could suggest is if your worried a trip to the vet wouldnt hurt :)

cats hate water you dont need to bath them they clean themselfs way to oftern to worry bout bathing them.

If shes running away from you just leave her be for a while somtimes it takes a few weeks for a new cat to find her feet in a new home
    specially if shes been in 2 previous homes and has been moved on.
    cats are great company and loyal but they need to also know that you are not going to leave them or hurt them and that just takes time for them to trust you.

she will come to you as and when shes ready to :)
    I know its all new and you want to love hug pet stroke your cat but try not to over power her as that will scare her ;)
    Purring is good dont worry bout that
    one thing to look for is if her tail is going crazy that generally means shes annoyed or uncomfortable so id suggest back off a little bit and let her calm down

as for the eye i know what your talking about my persian gets it sometimes it generally turns out to be nothing but and can be cleaned up with a wet cotton wool ball.
    but again if persits id take her to the vet to get her checked out just to make sure she hasnt got some kind of infection
    other than that just give her some time to settle in
    some cats settle right away some are more timid.

JUst as a general thing id do
    as you have only just got her personally id take her to the vet to get her checked out for flees worming last time she had her booster jabs
    unless you already know all this information from the previous owner, but sometimes its best to check for yourself to avoid later complications :)

10. dementia

dementia Well-Known Member

Treat cats like you treat women.

Beat them to the point where they don't put up a fight.

11. Sanity Penguin

Sanity Penguin My sex is on fire

lol, I knew that one was coming :P

12. dementia

dementia Well-Known Member

=D

13. Dusk`

Dusk` Senior Member

ZIIIIIING

14. IamRag

IamRag Well-Known Member

If a cat runs away from you, its most likely startled.
    Or in its playfull mood.

15. Sock

Sock Well-Known Member

Sit on your cat. Then put a picture of yourself in front of it. Stay sitting on it for a few hours. That way it knows you're the boss.

Repeat this if ever necessary.