Memoirs Of A Geisha

Discussion in 'Movies' started by Creesco, Jan 26, 2006.

1. Creesco

Creesco Well-Known Member

One of my favorite books is now one of my favorite movies.
    NOTE: Contains some spoilers

Screenplay and acting:
    Two words, well a few. Excellent and true. The acting was so great it was like looking into the real deal. All of the actors played their role as if they're were dealing with the issues of the movie. One of my favorite parts of the moive was how each actor or actress talked, some had thick japanese accents or westernized accents. Such as Sayuri's accent remained japanese because she did not be introduced with anyone who wasn't from another country until the end. Where as Pumpkin's accent changed dramaticly from japanese to american.

Visuals, audio and effects:
    Breath taking. The mood of the scenary blended well with the emotions of Chiyo(later becomes Sayuri). The lighting wasn't brought out until she meet the Chairman which then became very bright, except durning parts of fear and pain. Most of the audio is all olden japanese shammens playing. With some vocals added to make the sharpness of the strings being plucked sound like angels singing. It wasn't until the end where the music became american.

Notes:
    The movie remained very well to the book but missed alot of information in the beginning to tell you who the characters are. In a sense you wouldn't know who...I can't rememeber his name but anyways you would need to read the book in order to understand who the characters are.

Cons:
    Missed important info like introducing the characters. I relly didn't like it being started from the moment Chiyo and her sister were sold.

Pros: List above
    8.5/10.0

2. Blazeman

Blazeman Am I Evil?

I haven't seen it yet but after this review i'm actually going to go check it out tomorrow.

Nice Review :)

3. minxette

minxette Well-Known Member

Still haven't seen it even though it's possibly my favorite book...

And Chiyo and Satsu get sold so early in the book that not TOO much is missed by that, really, I wouldn't think.

4. Creesco

Creesco Well-Known Member

but you do miss out on them meeting that one guy's name I can't remeber at the moment. To me, it was an important part.

5. minxette

minxette Well-Known Member

Tanaka?

Yeah, that is a fairly important part....