Martial Arts

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by CrimsonSinx, Dec 27, 2004.

1. CrimsonSinx

CrimsonSinx Well-Known Member

Well Albert. Those kids are most likely "jerks" because they didnt take their training seriuosly. I remeber just starting Tae Kwon Do. As I continued to train, I noticed a big difference in my attitude toward many things. If you dont get anyhting out of it, not just physical, but mental, then you have not taken your training seriously at all. You should be able to notice a difference in yourself, let alone have tohers notice. Thats when you know, what you have worked for, has paid off.

2. .Ewok

.Ewok Well-Known Member

I don't do Martial Arts myself, but I love watching it :D

Offtopic: Extol, named after the metal band Extol?

3. dual

dual Guest

Karate is not over rated. And muai tai is the best full contact "sport"

4. CWD

CWD Well-Known Member

I Box!

Its Fun.

During The Summer I Will Start Taking Capuera ( Brazilian Art of Dance-Fighting, Very Hard. )

Im From Brazil so it figures....

5. CrimsonSinx

heh, sorry Ewonkee, no. I didnt even know there was a band named Extol. And nont get me wrong, I like rock, but mut of never heard of them. Heh, sorry if thats a disapointment.

6. .Ewok

.Ewok Well-Known Member

Well it isn't a dissapointment :)
    Extol isn't very wellknown, so it would have been a surprise to me if you DID know them, hehe.
    Maybe you should give it a try: perhaps you like it :lol:

7. frodro

frodro Well-Known Member

ya dual my bro thats 27 has done martial arts since he was 13
    he did muai tai for quite a few years he liked it and capuera
    is very hard and cool to watch :D

8. CrimsonSinx

Wow, i gess more people on Game Renders do Martail Arts than I thought.

OffTopic:Sure Ewoknee, I will give em' a try.

9. imwellhung

imwellhung Well-Known Member

i do the drunken monkey. :D

10. AnythingPink

AnythingPink Well-Known Member

Last year I took Lee Koon Hung Choy Lay Fut Kung Fu for about 5-6 months straight until my dad pulled me out.. (*sigh*)

I loved it, great work out, I learned a lot of defensive and offensive techniques, including ones used in ground fighting (jiu jitsu). My Sifu there was a very traditional and at times strict guy.. Which was a good thing since it helped me to learn everything I was taught the correct way.

11. ferret

ferret Well-Known Member

Martial arts are a great confidence builder.

With me, it's not so much about winning fights as it is about restraint. Martial arts teaches you that better than most anything else. You know full well what you are capable of, and you are confident enough to use your skills when necessary. I was taught when and how to f*ck somebody up. I rarely had to use it. When I did, the fights were over in seconds; training and confidence in that training is more than enough in a fight. An elbow strike applied properly is pretty awesome to watch.

I never saw the big deal about ninjitsu. I think it's the anime connection, though it's nothing like what you see in the movies. It is not what it's cracked up to be; it's good in its own regard, but it is not the be-all-end-all of the martial arts world. There is no single greatest art, despite what students (and those who have never set foot on a mat) will say.

I take judo currently, and have completed and placed in a few local tournaments. I have taken jiu-jitsu classes to work on my ground fighting, as well as a few introductory muy-thai courses that my center offers. It's good to cross-train; one martial art does not teach you everything.

Judo taught me throws, leg sweeps, and how to keep the opponent off balance.

Jiu-jitsu taught me how to better make the opponent submit after I took him to the ground.

Muy-thai taught me the kicks, punches, and elbow-strikes that the above two don't allow.

I think that combination will serve me well if/when I get into MMA.

12. Amazing

Amazing Well-Known Member

kk, Ill give you my own experience and take from it what you will.

I am a black belt in tkd, I have gone to nationals and placed in sparring and forms and I have been on a few demo teams in the past. I don't do it anymore but I would encourage anyone who is interested to get into a martial art whatever it is.

With that said, TKD is the most worthless martial art you can take. Hard to explain but compared to muay thai, Brazilian ju-jitsu, etc it really lacks. If you are taking it just to be active then it doesn't matter, but if you ever want to be competitive in MMA or whatever I would finish tkd and move on to another martial art. (I say finish because it shows strong discipline)

If you don't plan on being competitive just enjoy it, you will learn self discipline, self respect and you will be active, something i'm
    not atm xD. If you do get your black belt, put it on a resume, I have gotten quite a few comments from people who have read my resume before, they always end up being positive.

13. VideoGames

VideoGames Well-Known Member

no

14. Mortified Penguin

Mortified Penguin Senior Member

Pretty sure I love you right now. <3

15. }SoC{SainT

}SoC{SainT Well-Known Member

My school teaches a lot of traditional style (probably something to do with my grandmaster fighting in the Korean war and using his knowledge to kill). Yes, I'd mix it with something else after earning a black belt, but it isn't worthless if taught correctly. Now, if you go to a McDojang, then it's worthless.

I should be low blue now (haven't heard definitive results from the test), so I don't even have the black belt part down yet :P