Magazine

Discussion in 'Crew Leader Discussion' started by Logicaly, Feb 4, 2009.

1. Logicaly

Logicaly Senior Member

Originaly posted by Asar:

Thoughts on this everyone?

I know we have tried a magazine in the past, and every time it has failed, it has been ran by staff, members, etc, and it never seems to work out. However, rather then instantly shooting down the idea, lets find a way to make this idea work. If we can, then we have no problems implementing it as part of this site.

2. Shaggy

Shaggy Administrator Staff Member

Well if crew members are running it, as it is there baby, it might have a better chance. If its something they can show off as a crew, it could hold up more.

3. [.BC.] Dr. Pepsi

[.BC.] Dr. Pepsi Well-Known Member

i think it has more to do with the natural cycles of activity. Folks get more and less busy with real-world events as the year progresses. for example, the magazine may do very well for a while, and then die while everyone's doing finals or something.

first, the magazine should be opt-in. mandatory production only leads to resentment - if someone never wanted to do something in the first place, you can't expect them to do a good job on it. plus, nobody's getting paid for this.

second, after finding the members who WANT to participate, don't whittle the number down. the key to making it work is having redundancy in production. If one member gets busy and can't produce, put 'em on "injured reserve" and tell the second strings it's their turn to step in. that way, when the cycles of inactivity take out some of your members for a while, the magazine stays strong.

4. Logicaly

Logicaly Senior Member

I dont want this idea to die out. If the crews are interested in doing this, and staying active with it, you will have the backing of the staff on this.

5. Scooby.05

Scooby.05 Senior Member

Yea, I would like to get some of the other crews interested in this maybe have a few pages for each crew to show off there work or anything they want.

6. Renagade

Renagade Senior Member

Problem is, we don't know the formatting requirements, etc.

7. Scooby.05

Scooby.05 Senior Member

<div align="right">Design info
    One page = 896x1830 pixels
    This is some sorta freeware I downloaded and it only supports 10 pages - first page is cover/10th page is backcover
    All bgs should match, currently we're using this (by MerDeNoms)
    Usable logo</div>

That was the info we was using for AF's mag.

8. Prince Zainx

Prince Zainx The Dark Prince

The entire magazine idea is really good to begin with. I believe that all of the Active Crews on GR should get something like that going on just to show that they are a GameRenders Crew, to show of their new designs / latest artwork / whips / etc. The one thing that would be cool is when you click on the images you can actually see the bigger format. I know that as of now when you double click on the Magazine Page you can see the full size which is 896x1830 this but the pop-up of each image would be a bit better. Not saying that this script Asar is using is bad or anything but just my opinion on that.

If you guys would like I can set up one Huge XML Portfolio call it Game Renders Crews and in that Portfolio have a Category naming each one of the GR Crews where they can post stuff about themselves or something.

I bought a couple of XML Websites as this idea was given out on HD as well and am currently setting up a Mega Portfolio sort of thing for them as well. A preview of what I'm thinking for the GR Crews can be seen here. Everything can be changed to liking if I'm not wrong. I haven't gotten that much time to play around due to Classes and Life, but if I put my mind to it I can customize that so it bring about all the pictures and things that Asar put into that Magazine up there. Just to show off each crew.

Moreover, if you guys would like I can set it up so each GR Crew can get their own XML Portfolio, customized to their liking if needed and there instead of having one huge categories for their crew members, they can have one category per member to display his / her art there. Can also add a small about us image if you like as well.

While I'm at it I will set up an example if I get time to show you guys what I mean.

Give me your thoughts and we will go from there.

Prince ;)

9. Logicaly

Logicaly Senior Member

It can not be hosted outside of GR, thats the main rule im tossing out there right now.

10. Scooby.05

Scooby.05 Senior Member

SP/Sanity Penguin is able to do all the adding to the magazine and stuff since he was doing AF's magazine.

Maybe host it somewhere on gr's host and have SP and Dem able to work on it or something and we would give them the images.

11. Prince Zainx

I never said anything about hosting it outside of GR :huh:...was just giving my opinion and providing a backup example of what I meant.

Prince.

12. Logicaly

Logicaly Senior Member

I doubt Dem would be interested in doing it. I would really like it setup to where the staff doesnt have to do it, more so an admin doesnt have to do it, as the admins are busy as it is...so if we could some how set it up to be in a post or something, that would be the easiest option.

13. Prince Zainx

How about we have a dedicated forum somewhere in the crew forums, or better yet make a Custom Page for it.

And as for the hosting give someone either the chance to a hosting account somewhere like as in GRCrewMag.gamerenders.com and we can host it there? Either all of us or the leaders of the Magazine can get access to that FTP Account and Upload / Update / Edit things?

It would make like much easier on Admins and Staff :)

Prince.

14. Logicaly

Logicaly Senior Member

I will talk to shaggy about getting access to a subdomain for the magazine.

15. Logicaly

Logicaly Senior Member

So heres what I have worked out with Shaggy. The magazine can have a subdomain on the site. However, Sanity Penguin and myself will be the only ones with access, me just as a precaution, and Sanity Penguin will be the one that all the data goes through, so he can get it all setup. So if Sanity Penguin wants to do it, then we can make this happen.