Lens?

Discussion in 'Camera Drawn' started by flipnotic, Aug 9, 2009.

1. flipnotic

flipnotic Well-Known Member

Well because I only recently bought my Canon, I'm kind of mal-equipped.. I figured it was time to buy a lens. I was wondering what your guys' reccomendation for a nice starter lens would be. (I'm not insanely rich, either :lol: )

I was thinking either a Macro, for some nice close ups, or some sort of Wide-angle for nice landscapes, thoughts?

2. Papermache

Papermache Well-Known Member

I think I remember you saying you had a kit zoom lens? The type of lens you get depends on what type of photography you would like to get into. If you are interested in everything, I would recommend a long zoom telephoto lens for your second lens. I just got a Nikon 70-300mm and it has changed the photography experience dramatically.

If you plan on taking studio or portrait shots, look for a 50-70mm prime (fixed focal length) lens.
    If you plan on taking macro shots, get a macro lens.
    If you plan on taking landscape shots, a nice 14mm wide angle, or a fixed focal 30-40mm prime lens (usually -------wide angle).

My two current lenses, 18-105mm and 70-300mm cover everything I can imagine aside from macro and super-wide angle and super telephoto.

3. flipnotic

flipnotic Well-Known Member

I currently have a 18-55mm (kit lens) and a 50mm fixed lens.

I'm really into night shots (cityscapes, etc.) and nature (animals, insects, plans and landscapes)

4. Papermache

Papermache Well-Known Member

Your fixed lens should work excellent at night. A longer prime or zoom might be beneficial as well. For animals you want 300+mm. 300-400 is the most affordable at about 500-2000 dollar range as most 500-600mm's range from 5000-15000 dollars. Insects and plants you will want 1:1 macro, 2:1 is alright, but you won't get any super close insect shots with those. Make sure you have a good tripod and a wireless remote for night shots as well. Sorry I am having trouble stringing words together, my mind is fuzzy.