Learning To Play The Drums

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by LondonGoneWild, Dec 4, 2007.

1. LondonGoneWild

LondonGoneWild Banned from GR

Hello, I have recently started to play the drums. I already have a set of my Father's Ludwigs, and I really need hlep on where to go next. I have already gotten down the basic 4/4 rock beat, but I don't know where to go from there. Any help or advice you drummers could give would be very appreciated.

Thanks,
    LGW

2. killer_kyle

killer_kyle Well-Known Member

Sign up for drumming lessons from a drummer in your area. My brother got his drums a few years ago and signed up for lessons from some cool guy that the store where he bought the drums from recommended. he learned real fast and it really helped him a lot. And I don't think they are very expensive either, but I guess that depends on where you take them. :P

3. JDonta31

JDonta31 New Member

hey man i started drumming like 5 or 6 six years ago and i love it. it takes awhile to get the basics down but once u get the feel for it its like riding a bike!

4. Shig

Shig Active Member

I've heard that playing enough Rock Band can somewhat help you in learning the drums.

5. LondonGoneWild

Thanks for the response, but I probably won't be able to afford lessons per se. I would rather go the self-taught route with the help of a metronome, but I really need to know where to try working on next.

Eh, neither of your posts really had anything to do with what I asked in the thread; especially comment 3.

6. SM RxBandits

SM RxBandits Senior Member

no no no no

practice. buy a basic drumming book and they will teach you the basic rudiments, then you can see if you still like drums, and if you do get lessons from someone.

7. LondonGoneWild

Yeh, I've been pretty much practicing by ear. I started Monday, and I can play Back in Black now, so I think I'm doing pretty good for starting within the week.

8. inverse

inverse Banned from GR

Dude, if you're serious about learning any instrument, you gotta get the basics down first. If you don't get the basics mastered right from the get go, you'll find after a few years of playing, you'll hit a wall, where your technique isn't sufficient, but it's far too hard to completely change your technique. Doing so sometimes makes it harder to play than when you first began.

Methods of learning from best to worst

A ) Go learn from a teacher. Any teacher, as long as they're a good drummer. Even a skilled friend is enough, as long as they can monitor your playing and progression.

B ) Get a good instructional book or DVD and follow it like it's the bible.

C ) ------ around, listen to music, and try and copy. This is a poor method of learning, but if you aren't interested in being really good, it should be enough.

9. `Revolution

`Revolution Well-Known Member

Well, when I started to learn drums, I didn't even own a set. I signed up at our local music store, because they had teachers there also. With the drums, what you really want to learn to do is make your own beat. Not follow someone else's. Once you get the basics down though, all it takes is lots of practice, I did a minimum of 40 minutes a day for about half a year, and I play in a band now. So it turned out al right. Just keep practicing.

10. manicboy

manicboy Well-Known Member

I've played drums for over a year now.

I recommend that you get drum lessons, from a good teacher. I have lessons at school, and the guy is pretty old, but damn, is he good at drums, he has loads of years of experience. I really, really recommend you get a tutor, because you might have a technique that goes so far, then you can't go no further.

I first start out without a drum kit, just took lessons, see if I liked it, then about a month later if was my birthday, and got a cheap drum kit, then my next birthday I got a Mapex M Birch series, and love it.

Yeah. I really recommend getting lessons, that way, you'll get good, with a good technique, and get good quick if learnt correctly.

11. travmanx

travmanx Senior Member

I am a drummer, I play on Pearl Exports (9 piece) and K Custom Zildjian Cymbals. I have been in many bands before and have taught lessons for people just starting.

I would recommend buying a book preferably something simple like Alfred's begining drumset method then go to something that just has rhythms you can play The Drummer's Cookbook by John Pckering (which has over 200).

From where you are at I would work on maybe some other rhythms such as

HH x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-
    SD ----x-------x---
    BD x-----x---x-----

Sorry if you cannot read tabs.

Can you read sheet music?

DONT DO WHAT I DID. About a year into playing I thought I was great and tried songs way to over my limit, but i thought I could handle. Watching my vidz I sounded like crap and glad nobody saw that hah.

If nothing else there are plenty of good lessons on youtube

12. Faith.09

Faith.09 Banned from GR

cool