Law HELP.. What is an Indemnity Letter and Should I sign it?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Zohair, Jan 10, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Zohair

Zohair Formerly zohBOT

Okay, so I've got a bit of a situation here and need some help and guidance in understand whether I should go ahead with it or if I should stop and seek legal counselling.

I'm in the process of obtaining my late father's End of Service Benefits from his company and that company has been delaying the process for the past 2 years, asking me to bring heaps of papers and getting them attested and all. It has been all quite hectic for me as I work in a different city and getting the documents and all has been hard for me since I can't travel everyday.

Anyhow, fast forward to yesterday. I threatened them to go to the court if my late Father's EOSB isn't released before the end of this month. In reply, they sent me an email asking me to sign an indemnity letter. I read on the internet about the letter and understood that it protects a firm from a lawsuit if the individual decides to file one against the firm in order to seek the compensation against the damages.

After reading the article here (http://www.wisegeek.com/what-is-indemnity.htm), I became suspicious that the company might hold back the cheque and never give it to me, leaving me and my family helpless and without the ability to file a lawsuit against the company in question. Or maybe they will deduct a significant amount of money from the actual payable amount.

Now, I'm left wondering whether I should sign the Indemnity letter or not.. If anyone around has even the slightest of knowledge please enlighten me, it's an important matter for me. Our family needs financial support and we need to claim our rightful money since my late father worked for the company for 27 years and gave his best to them.

Thank you for reading, I appreciate your concern.

2. Nicasus

Nicasus Well-Known Member

1. Get the address of the company's CEO

2. Kidnap the spouse (and children if there are any).

3. Cut off a finger or an ear and send it to him, along with a letter saying you want your money.

That's the only letter you should be signing.

3. Neuron

Neuron Senior Member

Don't sign it. Call your lawyer.

4. Zohair

Zohair Formerly zohBOT

I sorted it out.

5. Zohair

Zohair Formerly zohBOT

Closed.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.