Laptop

Discussion in 'Gaming' started by azn_rebel99, Jun 8, 2009.

1. azn_rebel99

azn_rebel99 Well-Known Member

So I'm headed off the college soon and I need a laptop. My question is.. Mac or PC? and if PC which one should I get? Cost really isn't an issue, but I'm down for saving as much as I can.

2. Sock

Sock Well-Known Member

I'm in the same boat.

Need something with quite a bit of ram (4gb).

Not sure if DDR3 is noticably better than DDR2.

3. inverse

inverse Banned from GR

Get a Mac. You won't regret it.

4. Nicasus

Nicasus Well-Known Member

Real simple: If you look at the specs of a Mac laptop, write them all down. Find a PC with similar specs. Look at the price tag and notice it's 50%-60% cheaper.

Make your decision.

Only thing I like about Mac are their cases. But if you want to pay over a thousand dollars because it's white and has an apple on the back, be my guest.

Or get a netbook if you want the battery to last for a long time. The Asus EEE 1000's can go up to 6 hours if you keep it simple (internet, Word documents etc.)

Only when you put in triple channel, because of the higher latencies I still prefer DDR2 when it comes to single or dual channel memory.

5. Ravr

Ravr _______________

what you need 4GB for?

oh and i see nice is replying, i know he is going to say apple same stuff but more expensive and all.. but the OS is better than xp.vista imo :P

but windows 7 is really good. so if you want to use windows 7 end this year go for a normal laptop :P

6. Ravr

Ravr _______________

god i'm awsome i had it right :D

7. Nicasus

Their OS is better suited for Graphics, but for school... wat.
    There are also other ways to get your hands on their OS if you know what I mean.

You can run OSX perfectly on a PC.

8. inverse

inverse Banned from GR

You're joking if you think OSX will run natively on a PC. It WONT. It requires a good knowledge of the hardware, the software, and the ins and outs of Unix based command lines (terminal) to even think of getting OSX running on your PC. You have NO support from Apple, as they endorse their computers as a whole, and won't take a second to help someone trying to run OSX on a PC.

OSX is a superior operating system to Windows in many ways, and will not be a hindrance to school work (may be an advantage, as the free-ware available for Mac is of a much higher standard than Windows).

All fanboyism aside, the ONLY thing that Windows based OEM PCs have an advantage over Macs is price per ghz/mb/gb/geforce. And call me crazy, but I am prepared to pay a 40% markup to get a slim, durable, lightweight, solidly built, aesthetically pleasing, jawdropping piece of machinery.

Not to mention, the latest MacBook pros with the hybrid video card setup, not only have a very, very good battery life (5-8 hours depending on model and usage), they are some of the best performing laptops on the market.

Other than some of the very high end Toshi or Lenovo ultraportables, none of the OEM windows laptops look good, or have very good build quality (lots of plastic parts, a lot of excess weight).

You're comparing Apples (literally) to Oranges, with nothing other than specs. There are more important things in a laptop than pure grunt. (which is a pretty irrelevent fact since the MBPs have plenty of that)

9. Nicasus

Yet my laptop is running fine on OSX.

10. Sk8erboi

Sk8erboi New Member

The Mac OSX is too gud.......................

11. UnBilo

UnBilo Active Member

Id stick with windows for several reasons.

You already know how to use it and are familiar with it.
    Everything you own will still be compatiable with it and wont be if you get a MAC.
    PRICE, Windows will be much, much cheaper.

Why change something thats not broken?

12. Zohair

Zohair Formerly zohBOT

Dell might be the company that you should be looking for with that sort of a demand for high performance, their XPS systems are also good.

13. Sock

Sock Well-Known Member

I'm looking to do music production, which actually ends up eating up a lot of ram, for those of you wondering.

Gaming isn't what I'll be doing with this machine.

14. Nicasus

Stick to DDR2. If you want to switch to DDR3, get a motherboard with triple channel memory.
    Music production can easily be done with DDR2.

15. UnBilo

UnBilo Active Member

OH DDR3 isn't worth it unless your getting a i7 machine which I dont think you are as its a laptop. Yeah stick DDR2 for now will save you big money I would imagine.