Laptop Vs Mac

Discussion in 'Gaming' started by King Damager, Apr 22, 2008.

1. King Damager

King Damager Well-Known Member

ok, so I know theres a similar topic below, but it's slightly different circumstances.

I'm thinking of getting a new laptop, well I have one, but I might change it.

Let's start by establishing a couple of things

- Money's not too much of a problem
    -I had one of the newest, most powerful Vaio's out for a week and a half on Vista, and am not exactly computer retarded, - Vista couldn't actually completly use the 4gb of ram offered by the vaio, and the vaio broke within the week and a half, because of a HARDWARE failure. Vista itself was ok, but itself definitely had it's flaws that I managed to find.

So, my choice is whether to keep the vaio when they give it back to me hopefully repaired, or get a mac.

either will be top of the range for the moment.

Now let's be honest, I have a perfectly good desktop, I'll play games on that, and I found that the vaio struggled to cope with vista and basic java games.

To be honest, all I want/ need out of the laptop/mac (all though now basically the same)

Proper graphical interfaces, and the ability to run high power graphics programs that work well.
    A good item to help organise stuff
    A compatible word processor etc...
    ability to chat to friends on msn
    itunes

Thats the basis.

and I know we all hate macs, but hey, let's give them a chance here? :P

and before we pick apart the fifty thousand holes in safari, and how easy they are to hack. - it's a lot less targeted, and well why does firefox exist? :P

In an ideal world we'd stick with Ubuntu, but right now I've got a Vaio running vista, or a Mac book ---.

Which, and why?

Thanks.

2. Ravr

Ravr _______________

macs seem to be reliable with editing programs as it is used alot in the proffesional graphics industries.. so if you only want that + some text editing etc.. i would go for a mac, but if you want too game at all, you should go for windows, as mac lacks games :P

3. King Damager

King Damager Well-Known Member

4. xlink

xlink GR's Tech Enthusiast

if complain that it won't use all 4GB
    and you say you're computer literate

one of the two things is false.
    ANSWER - USE 64bit version of the OS...

just know that if you go with apple you're paying a premium for software and the hardware isn't really any better as far as quality goes. if the software is worth the premium to you then go for it, if not, look elsewhere

both platforms have all of those.

5. pianoman0723

pianoman0723 Well-Known Member

both platforms have all of those.
    [/b][/quote]
    haha too true...

either has a relatively good GUI.
    adobe makes their products for mac first, but it works fine on windows.
    i prefer OSX's organizational system. more drag 'n drop.
    MSN is not a problem on either system (although i can recommend a wicked OSX client)
    itunes is apple software but its on both.

i say macbook ---. OSX is the standard for ----- graphic design so you wont run into any compatibility issues there. Apple tech support rocks but im sure you'll have very few problems with a top of line macbook.

plus theyre sexy.

6. xlink

xlink GR's Tech Enthusiast

64bit photoshop is coming out on windowss first.

7. Eksperimental

Eksperimental Well-Known Member

O RLY?

Haven't had a single problem with my Macbook '---', but there are other laptops out there that are just as good, and some that are definitely better.

You are paying a premium when it comes to Mac, but I was willing to pay that premium, and the Apple Tech Support is amazing. I have numerous friends who've recommended adding the additional 3 year Apple Care plan cause it was so good.

With a Windows based laptop, you're getting more 3rd party support, for Graphics programs, gaming, etc. Most programs that are made for both platforms will run fine on either machine, or else they most likely wouldn't have been released.

8. soar

soar Active Member

i have a mac currently and love it