Landslide Of Ps3 Good News

Discussion in 'Gaming' started by Balthier, Jan 28, 2007.

1. JLo

JLo Member

Xbox has had their headstart, now let other consoles reach their full potential before bad mouthing them. With all the hatred going on towards some of these consoles, you probably wouldn't even want to even see/touch one.

Imo, all shooters really should be played on PC. Controllers suck with FPS, and I actualy spent hours getting decent with FPS'ing on controllers only to be so dissapointed that it was honestly, ----ing ----.

Now, the whole RPG thing.. I can see how people bought the system for this. Just like people bought xbox360 for GoW and Halo 3, and Nintendo Wii for SSBB and Zelda. But honestly, you're paying a great deal of money for a couple of games. Ofcourse, if you have the money, go ahead.. But those who don't and do happen to by the console just a couple of releases, damn, you'll regret it.

And yeah, blu-ray increases the price on games. So not only are you buying a console that rips everyone off, you're now buying games which are more expensive. I would like a ps3 in the future when the games are released, but to have one right now? It seems like washing cash down the drain.

@Balthier,

"Believe what you want,whatever makes you happy.
    I rest my case."

I hope this was directed at yourself, too.

2. BuckVincent

BuckVincent Well-Known Member

Oh sure, I totally agree with you on a few points. I try to be as unbiased as I can, but naturally I will pull for my favorite console.

I think both the PS3 and 360 have awesome potential. I think the reason the PS3 is able to keep up in most of the gfx departments is becuase the developers saw what they were able to do with the 360 and applied to the PS3 versions of some games.

I also dont think we will see the consoles at full potential for another few months or so.

I think when they get a full SOLID line-up, it will be a good Console War.

3. xlink

xlink GR's Tech Enthusiast

we won't be able to see either consoles potential for several years, well paste their functional obsolecence.

the Xbox's Xenon CPU has three cores and each core has two threads for a total of 6 logical cores.

as it is, developers have a hard time of utilizing two fo those cores, yet alone the third.

and PS3's cell is even worse as it has a radical new architecture. In theory it's excellent, and some applications which are highly paralellizeable will run VERY VERY well on Cell, in excess of what is capable of being done on it. Games are not one of these things unfortunately. Though Cell is a strong floating point processor and games are highly demanding on floating point performance, actually utilizing that power will be a bitch, as it is most game developers on the PC market can't code for two CPUs all that well(same goes for the xbox 360), coding for Cells 6 SPEs and PPE is on a whole other level of difficulty from what I'm hearing.

then there is the GPU potential.
    RSX is a decent chip, sure it might be obsolete now since nVidia no longer is continuing development on the architecture(which they made over 5 years ago) but GPU specific optimizations can go very far. RSX is essentially just a downgraded version of the G70 GPU used in the GeForce 7800GTX. It's only about 10-15% slower than 2005s top GPU which is respectable. It uses a split-shader architecture(unlike it's successor G80 which uses a unified shader architecture)

And Xenos is an entirely diferent issue... Xenos is an entirely new architecture(newer than the PS3s even though it's out a year before, crazy huh) It's based on a unified shader architecture and contains a large amount of pixel shaders as compared to pixel pipelines. This makes Xenos particularly good at complex math. The downside is that in applications unoptimized for Xenoses unified shader architecture, there is around a 20-30% performance hit. As it is, the only game optimized for it would be Gears of War and that according to the developer was only a crude optimization. Unlike CPUs, it's fairly easy to write parallel core for GPUs so this won't be as hard as it is to code for the CPUs.

Xenos also has 10mb cache which greatly increases memory bandwidth on the video system, M$ claims this gives "free antialiasing" The only thing i can't comprehend is why so few games take advantage of this memory bandwidth...

So in all, expect more improvement on the xbox side, but don't be surprised by improvements on the PS3 side either, just nothing radical, develoeprs have already had 5 years to work with GPUs like the PS3s, 15 if you really want to get technical and are loose about the term like.

in the end though, the consumer is stuck with evil microsoft launching the better product cheaper in an attempt to get us hooked so we only turn to them(sort of like how they did with Windows, except unlike windows the xbox isn't crap, it's just overrated, but not crap). Then there is Sony which is an asshole corporation which only cares aout it's pocket book here and now, and depends on legions of fanboys to back them...

then there's nintendo which is a decent company which just so happens to sell their console for around 50-100$ more than it costs them to make... unlike the other two which sell their systems at a loss. Then they claim innovation for selling a relatively cheap motion sensing controller... and guasse what, it's th most innovative thing out of any of the three.

in short I'm displeased with all three of the companies

4. Galione

Galione Well-Known Member

honostly.... I have seen both play and I have to say that I have yet to see a major lag in the ps3 and and compared both madden 07's and the xbox 360 lagged like hell between plays when ps3 was effecient and ready to go.

Despite what ppl say sony has a better reputation than microsoft does when it comes to hardware..

and I have gotten the shaft twice from microsoft when my xbox went down three weeks after I purchased it and then later when I bought a 360 and it failed with the recall.

sony ok ps2 went down, called them. spent 7 bucks to get it to Irvine, CA (mind you I have had it for two yrs) They fix it.... send it back free of charge with another 90 warranty and visa gift card worth 20 bucks valid anywhere......

I have been taken care of right there... and it's stuff like that that will keep me buying their products..

o and if your wondering... when I called xbox division of microsoft they told me it would be 84 bucks plus shipping to fix my console cause they believed the overheating was because I stressed it...... I had left my ps3 run for months straight and it never..... NEVER had a bit of trouble with overheating..

5. .Slevin

.Slevin Senior Member

This just made my day :lol: