Lan Questions

Discussion in 'Gaming' started by SniperStud, Jul 26, 2006.

1. SniperStud

SniperStud Well-Known Member

so i have a wireless adapter for my pc, and my router is all hooked up upstairs in my house, but i have anotehr desktop downstiars so i want to run a ethernet cord from my pc to the other desktop but i cant get the internet connection to go on the other desktop, i am using linksys equipment and running windows xp... if anyone oculd help me my msn is [email protected] thank you
    -Stud

2. Equivalent Exchange

Equivalent Exchange Well-Known Member

You cant use a normal ethernet cable for this.

It needs to be a cat5 cable.

Reason being...

Normally, in a reouter to computer setup, the cables would make one output go to the input of the other, and vice versa.

However, try and do the same thing computer to computer, and your left with input going to input, output going to output.

Obviosuly that wouldnt work.

The cat5 cable switched things around so you have output to input like you should.

3. SniperStud

but i have connection for my pc i cant run the connection to the next pc? with etherent? cause i thought sure you could

4. Zer0.

Zer0. Well-Known Member

Nope, not that I'm aware of, hopefully you have a DFI Lanparty? best LAN mobos right there...

5. SniperStud

anymore ideas?

6. Equivalent Exchange

Equivalent Exchange Well-Known Member

An ethernet cable wont work, no.

Input to Input wont get you anywhere.

A cat5 cable is is what you need to network computer directly to computer. I've got one, done it before, and it works fine.

7. .RaMBo

.RaMBo Well-Known Member

Well a router's job is to assign IP's to each pc that it connects to and route traffic. Basically what you might have to do is manually assign a static IP to each computer so it has an address. Then I would also change the WORKGROUP for both computers and assign it the same WORKGROUP for both. Try that.