Kalli's Epic Critique Thread

Discussion in 'Signatures' started by Kalli, Jul 18, 2007.

1. Kalli

Kalli Senior Member

Loukas29 -

Ok well the first thing that I am gonna start off with in this tag is the typography, because it needs to go. Typography is not something that you ever should just throw into a tag just so you have your name in it. In this case, with a tag like this where it is just basically C4D, a lot of people will actually choose not to put any typography in their tag whatsoever. Typography is just another form of art, just like your effects, and you should always put a lot of thought into it like anything else. Also, simple is usually 80% the time, the best way to lean towards. Next off I want to point out that there is really no flow nor depth in this tag, and that is a very important aspect in any abstract tag. What this tag seems as though what you did, was just get some c4d renders and then stuck them in there and started doing some random effects, and this is what came out of it. I would really suggest looking up some abstract tutorials to get some idea of creating depth and flow. Depth is decently easy, because with a tag like this dark/light contrast can create a perfect look of depth with nothing else. Lastly, I want to point out the problem with the light source in this one. The light source, just seems again randomly placed within the tag with not much thought. Also, it seems to be very strong, yet you have no darker areas in the tag to even the lighting out. Also, maybe try toning it down, because right now it is decently strong and seems to be where the focal is, and you really do not want the light source to be the focal.

2. Kalli

Kalli Senior Member

Anything-Pink -

Hey do not even worry about it, you are totally welcome to come in here every single day that I am on and I will critique! That is totally why I made this thread to give critique, and that would be lame to do otherwise.

Ok like always, starting with the second tag. Yea, the render is definitely of some bad quality, and unfortunately that right there can completely ruin a tag, except for a few small cases which I have seen in the past. Those instances those, the point of the tag was suppose to be of some bad quality. What is really killing me though in this tag is how the color and contrast of the effects completely over do the render itself. That is something you want to be careful with because you do not want to distract from the focal too much. What I would have suggest though with the render, is have tried to get the colors of the render to stand out more, or even had just made some major contrast change to it, and then made the tag a black and white. The effects are decent in the tag, but they just do not seem to work with that render too well, but are not that bad. Lastly though, the text needs to be removed or fixed. That typography looks as though the only reason it is there is for the name to be on the tag, and you never want to do that. I can not stress this hard enough, always take time in the typography of the tag.

It is actually funny, that second tag reminds of me of my latest tag quite a bit.

[​IMG]

Now I will go ahead and do your first tag before I go get something to eat because I am hungry. Now this tag could have definitely turned into something very nice if you actually put some more time and effort into it. The concept of the tag was very nice, but there are some downsides in this one as well. The first of which are the effects over the render itself. I would suggest removing those, so the render is actually on top of the effects, because right now it just looks like something either is on her arm, or just wasn't erased fully. The make-up is not that bad, not great, but definitely better than I have seen from other people in the past. I would suggest though that you make it at least near the color of the effects, because right now, although it does stand out, it looks out of place in my personal opinion. Next I would suggest totally getting rid of the border you have chosen to use. You might be able to use a good maybe just black two bar border, but no border might work just as well. The text is decent, and I can tell you put some thought into it but the text 'sweet' kinda does not fit in there with the other. I would also suggest moving the text closer, and trying a few different other font types. The font is decent, but there is just something about it that I do not like.

3. dinges

dinges Senior Member

kalli
    this one plz :P

[​IMG]

4. JWJ

JWJ Well-Known Member

Cool thread! Perhaps you could give me come critique on this tag:

[​IMG]

5. .ZERO

.ZERO Nigga wit a PSD

Rule 3, post 1.

6. Kalli

Kalli Senior Member

Hey All, sorry but I am gonna be busy with family here at my house, and then going to St. Louis for a family reunion. So I will not be able to maintain this for about a week. I should be back after the 4th of July weekend though.

7. Ikuzo

Ikuzo Well-Known Member

I'll post some next week :D Awesome thread you got here!