Kalli's Epic Critique Thread

Discussion in 'Signatures' started by Kalli, Jul 18, 2007.

1. Kalli

Kalli Senior Member

Suspect, before I critique, this is one of those tags it is hard to tell exactly what you did. Do you happen to have a link to the stock or render?

2. Prince Zainx

Prince Zainx The Dark Prince

Alright
    I get exactly what you mean

Will see what I can do about this one :P

Thanks
    Van

3. Suspect

Suspect Senior Member

Original [​IMG] Mine [​IMG]

4. Kalli

Kalli Senior Member

Ok well sorry Suspect, I actually am getting off right now. I will critique your tag first thing when I get on tomorrow.

5. Suspect

Suspect Senior Member

No Problem ^^ Thanks.

6. Kalli

Kalli Senior Member

Suspect -

Well I have never been too big of a fan of the tall canvas sized tags, but this one is pretty decent. The first and very most thing I think should be done to this tag though is to emphasize the red in the tag. The 'Lust' text seems the most red out of anything, and I think that if you went in throughout the tag and emphasized the red on her dress and even lips, that the color and overall appeal of the tag would be improved quite a bit. Next what I was looking at is the left side of the tag and that line that goes up and down. I know the line is from the stock photo, but I think if you either clone stamped that out or possibly even just cropped that line out it would look better because as of right now it just seems random and out of place. What I was looking at next is the dark and light contrast throughout the tag. I think that if you got some darker areas throughout the tag, mainly on the girl in the photo, it would improve it just a tad.

Now, I like how you have the pen tool/brush effects that make it look like there are ribbons going throughout the tag. That fits very well into the tag, especially with the dress on her, it just seems to fit perfectly. However, that effect in the top right just seems to be a little of bad quality and almost over contrasted right there. I would suggest maybe trying to remove that completely from the tag. The last thing that I am looking at is the text. I like the "Lust' text, and I think it actually fits in the tag very well, and probably does not even really need any improvement on that. However, the 'Suspect' tag ruins the typography completely and even brings down the tag appeal a notch. I would suggest either making it more subtle or removing it, or possibly even just redoing it to make it fit in with the tag a bit more.

7. AnythingPink

AnythingPink Well-Known Member

Hello, Kalli. I really do love the advice you've given me. So maybe you can also CnC my latest, I feel like it needs improvement but I don't know what to do.. :(

[​IMG]

8. Kalli

Kalli Senior Member

Anything-Pink -

Hmm, lots of people seem to be doing the tall canvases lately. Oh well, I guess I am gonna have to get used to seeing these around. The first thing that is continuously catching my eye that needs improvement is the grass at the bottom of the tag. I think because the front of the tag is so blurred is a problem. I see what you are trying to do, mainly like a photograph focusing on the tree. However that extra branch type thing you added looks like it is even before the grass, which is peculiar considering the grass is blurred but it is not. Also with it having a slightly different contrast from the tree, it comes to look like it is almost out of place, and doesn't quite fit in just right as it should. Also there is a cirlce or 'O' in the middle of the tree, that kinda makes parts of it look a little under contrasted or foggy, and I would actually get rid of that.

The planet looks decent, except for the color (along with the sky). I think if the colors were more vibrant and not so foggy it would look better, so maybe just try clearing it up a tad bit. I like the bottom rings but the rings that you just see on the planet I think you could get rid of that second set. The little c4d speckles I think look good and you could maybe try adding a few more, just not as noticeable, meaning maybe with a lower opacity or what not. Also maybe try getting some good pen tool effects in this tag, I think that could look quite good as well. I think some good typography in this tag would look quite nice too because it has such a smooth feel to the tag, and with that border, it almost looks like the text is missing.

9. Majin

Majin Senior Member

Any chance on doing mine Kalli?

[​IMG]

10. Faith.09

Faith.09 Banned from GR

[​IMG]

If you ever get a chance, do this one too please :D (I will probably work on the lighting)

11. SiKeST

SiKeST Member

Wow, this looks pretty cool. I've always asked people to critique my sigs, but they just give really vague ones. Your critiques are in huge detail, and you'll be seeing a lot of my sigs after today. Here's my most recent one; I followed a lot of smudging tutorials, and I basically put in my personal touches and things that I've learned.

[​IMG]

Here's another of the same style, and was done before the first.

[​IMG]

Thanks a lot Kalli. Anytime is fine, I'm just looking forward the critique xD

12. Kalli

Kalli Senior Member

Ok you three, I am gonna run to get something to eat as I have not eaten yet today. But as soon as I get back I will start on all three.

13. Kalli

Kalli Senior Member

Vicer Exciser -

I have been sitting here for about 10 minutes just trying to sit and look at your tag. This is gonna be a pretty short critique as I really do not see that you did really much to the tag at all. What I can say though is that I like the idea of the tag, I just think that it didn't turn out as good as it could be with that idea. First off the text in the tag, both sets, are needing some major work. The first set by more of the focal, the font is just not the best itself, and because of the location added onto it, it makes it look even worse. It looks as though you just wanted it in the focal so you squeezed it in right there. Then the text in the bottom right just looks like you put it there so you could hae your name somewhat in the tag. I do like the 'A' and the 'B', I think those work very well and having the pen tool type as the line is interesting, but I am not sure it was brought out the best. I think part of the problem is just the tag is so big and the focal point is just right there, and I think more could be done with the whole Le Parkour thing like this in the tag.

14. Kalli

Kalli Senior Member

Tnuckington -

I am actually not really liking this tag at all, mainly because looking at it, is just comes off way too messy and chaotic. You mentioned you might work on lighting, so I will go ahead and start with that. Right now you currently have two small light sources, whether you put them there on purpose or not. The first is immediately to the left of the render, and the other is to the upper right of the render. Unfortunately, in aspect with the render, neither of those light sources work correctly in the tag. The direct light on the render is coming from the far left, possibly slightly in front of him. So having a small light source behind him does not work, and having one in the upper right does not seem to work at all either. Next I want to point out the flow of the tag, which currently there is none of. In a tag using so many effects and c4d renders, you need to make sure there is some sort of flow. Also a problem with that, is just using renders shows a lack of skill unfortunately, because there is nothing you do except layer options with c4d renders. I would try getting some sort of flow going on in a tag like this and it will improve it greatly.

One thing I have noticed in the tag that I do like is the text. I think though that it could stand out a tad more, and used in a more awesome way of the same type of usage you have now. I hope that makes sense to you because I know it was worded oddly. I also think that the coloring usage with all the renders was well chosen, and you also did a good job with that. The last thing though that I want to take a look at is the depth. Depth is a very important thing in most tags, especially using effects like this because it shows something great. The main thing though in this tag is that it is just so messy and chaotic, seeming as though there was no thought in the tag other than just shoving some c4d renders in there with another render.

15. fire179

fire179 New Member

Ok Kalli I am pretty new to the world of sig making and you seem to be the critique guruu. This is one of the first sigs I have ever done like I said I am still pretty new and I would like some hardcore critiqueing done if you have the time
    [​IMG]