Kalli's Epic Critique Thread

Discussion in 'Signatures' started by Kalli, Jul 18, 2007.

1. Kalli

Kalli Senior Member

Pyramid Raped -

The first thing I would have to suggest is making your canvas size smaller. With such a large canvas size a lot of things can go wrong and it can make the tag look less as good as it possibly might actually be. Aside from the canvas size, the first thing I was taking a look at were the scan lines going horizontal across the whole tag. Scan lines can occasionally be used in a tag, but usually for them to look nice it has got to be a small amount. Since they were used across the whole tag it actually detracts from the tag, so I would suggest maybe actually removing them all together. The other thing I am not liking a whole lot is the text. The text in this tag actually stands out more than anything else, even more then the render. So I would actually try toning it down a little, and maybe even just using a simple font instead of a grunge font.

The last few things I was looking at were flow and depth, and then also the lighting. There does not really seem to be any flow in the tag at all. I can find some depth in the tag, although I can say I wish there a tad more depth to the tag, meaning I wish there were more up front effects to the tag. Also some up front effects would also help the flow of the tag. Right now there just is not any, it is just all random and I think flow would really improve the tag. Also the lighting in the tag I think is right on with the direction and placement, however the strength and transition I think could use a little improvement. The light to dark transition from the lighting seems to be a little too sudden, and maybe having it transition a little more would like nice. Also the lighting ON the render just seems to be a tad strong and I think would look nicer if it were to be toned down just a little.

2. Kalli

Kalli Senior Member

Volmorous -

Well the first thing that I am looking at and will tell you right now 90% of the graphics society will tell you to get rid of is your border. The 1px and 2px borders are just BAD! They tend to be more popular amongst the beginners because they feel the need that they actually do need a border. I will tell you right now, borders are uneccessary, and I actually pretty much refuse to ever use a border on one of my tags. The next thing I was look at was the effects related to the render. They just do not seem to really go well together. Also, with the bad render blending in this tag, it almost looks as though you made a tag, then decided you wanted a render in it so you added one and tried to blend it in. I think it is more the color though, but the render blending does not help. Maybe try doing a b.w version of the tag and see if that helps.

However, also the effects are not the greatest. They do seem a tad blurred and I think if there were some sharper areas in the tag, that it might improve the overall tag. Also I am not really feeling any depth in the tag, and I think it would look a lot better if you added maybe some darker areas or some sharper effects because that could increase the depth in the tag. Also, I would suggest working on the text a bit more. The text seems to be faded and that does not really look all that well. Maybe try adding the text AFTER everything, having it your last layer so nothing effects it. Also play with it some more with size, and color, and placement, and even the font type. Take time on your text, and you can really come out with some nice results.

3. Kalli

Kalli Senior Member

TRU3 R3GR3T -

Unfortunately, it is pretty obvious that you have been away for awhile, well depending on how good you were before. The first and I think the most main thing about the tag is the quality. The tag is looking of very bad quality. I am not sure if it is the render, the effects you used, or maybe some type of filter you might have used on the entire tag. But I would suggest in future, trying to get some better quality, because bad quality can ruin the entire tag. Next thing I am looking at are the effects over the render. In some cases that is ok as long as it is put together well, but in this case it just looks messy. It looks like you just put some overall effects in there without any thought, but you should have erased the effects that were put over the render, because right now it just looks bad.

Also there is nor depth or flow in the tag. Those are two of the most important things you want to have in a tag like this. Flow will make the tag nice to look at and depth just adds a certain something to the tag that just improves the overall look of the tag. It looks like you tried to create some depth by blurring and sharpening, but unfortunately that will just not always work unless you do it where it looks like it was not forced. Also the effects in general need to be worked on, especially your light source effect. The lens flare flash effect is never a good way to go for a light source. I would get rid of that and bring out a soft brush and use that as a light source because that will look much smoother and much nicer. Also, never just add text to add text. Make sure when working with the text, you take time and actually try several different options, and usually the best is the most simple.

4. Xioushi

Xioushi Well-Known Member

Hey Kalli, just finished this sig, please tell me what you think about it. :)

[​IMG]

Thanks. <3

5. jjfreight

jjfreight Well-Known Member

How about mine, Kalli. Current.

6. Vendetta357

Vendetta357 Well-Known Member

Please and thankyou.

[​IMG]
    V1

[​IMG]
    V2

Text help?

7. .fallen

.fallen Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

finished that one last night, not too sure how i feel about it but mine aswell give it a shot

8. :KP:

:KP: Well-Known Member

imma try this for the first time :P be warned its messy, and that its been a month or two

[​IMG]

9. TheLiquid

TheLiquid Member

Here's mine.. Sorry for adding to the big lineup lol..

[​IMG]

10. Cheap_Indian

Cheap_Indian Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

3. 2. 1. Go! :P

11. Kalamadorel

Kalamadorel Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

Looks pretty popular so i thought i\'d join the queue ^^

12. bdiddie

bdiddie Well-Known Member

got another one for ya

[​IMG]

13. Kalli

Kalli Senior Member

Oh wow...I really need to pay attention to how I leave my status. Ok well I have nine tags to critique, this might take awhile.

14. Crazy Monkey

Crazy Monkey Member

Crit my sig please .

Thanks. -.-

15. Kalli

Kalli Senior Member

Hey guys, sorry none of the tags have been critiqued that you have posted. I have been pretty busy with work, but I have to get up early tomorrow for a package delivery, so I will have almost all day because I don't work until late. So I will get these all done tomorrow, I promise!