Kalli's Epic Critique Thread

Discussion in 'Signatures' started by Kalli, Jul 18, 2007.

1. Kalli

Kalli Senior Member

Sorry guys....our electricity died on us last night...so all who posted last night I am getting ready to critique yours right now....so check back whenever you get on and it should be up.

2. Kalli

Kalli Senior Member

CarpeDiem -

Hmm, not really sure about this tag. I like the "feel" of the tag, but overall I am not feeling the tag too well, if you understand what I am trying to say.

I think the thing in the tag that I am liking the most is the soft feel with the colors. However, the soft feel also ruins the tag for me. I think you did a very nice job on the colors, which I think is the best part of the tag. I think the soft feel is a very nice thing for a tag, but I think that the effect was a tad overdone in this tag. Everything seems to be a tad too soft. I think that the overall blur effect could be a little less, and still with some sharper effects. The text I do not think was very well laid out either, especially with part of it being blurred as well. I think it would look better if that was crisp and was not effected by the softness of the tag.

I think the depth was very well laid out in this as well, however with all of the blur it kinda gets ruined. I would expect either the front or the back to be blurred, but not both. Even part of the center of the tag is blurred. I think it would be better if there was a difference in between each area within the depth, and not having it all the same. The flow however in the tag I think was done decently. There is some decent flow in the tag, however there are also some areas that disrupt the flow. The main area in the tag of that nature would be the right side in the back. Those star shaped effect that are pretty much going straight up ruin the overall feel of the flow for me. The last thing is that the two beams of light that go around the render kinda of feel a tad too strong for me. I think if they were either toned down or at least made a tad smaller it would look nice.

3. SkatZ

SkatZ Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

Btw Kalli. What about that big battle thingy? You're dropping it?

4. Kalli

Kalli Senior Member

C.u.b.e -

Well the first thing I am looking at is the canvas size. I think that a larger canvas size would be much nicer. The width I do not think is such a bad thing, but it is more the height that I am looking at. I think if you had the canvas size a tad more taller it would have looked better, and the text and render would not seem so crammed together in a small canvas. Also the text is just not the best. Afro text is not so bad, but I think with the canvas size that you made it take a tad too much space, especially with such a small render. Although, the cube text needs to be thrown out of the tag, because I am pretty sure you just have it there to have your name on the tag.

I think that the render is too small in the tag as well. It does not come off as your main focal at all, and I am pretty sure that is probably what you wanted to be your focal. The reason it is not is not just because of the size, but because you blurred the render as well. If it is not blurred, I am sorry but that is due to size. Also there is a lack of effects. There are a few c4d renders it looks like but that is about it, and even then they are too noticable and not very attractive. There is pretty much no depth in the tag either because the background of the tag just seems to be one solid color, then with lighting to appear different.

I think this tag could have been better, but your canvas size totally ruined the whole tag in my opinion.

5. Kalli

Kalli Senior Member

LostUchiha -

But there is a tomorrow, so does that mean I do not have to critique?! Hehe!

Well the first thing, and the thing that is bothering me the most is the text. I personally feel that the text has ruined the entire tag. It is kinda like a serious tag, and with some decent effects, but then the font type, color, and even placement just seem to destroy that. So the first thing in MY opinion would be to change the text you have used in the tag. The next thing I was taking a look at was the lighting source. I know many people use a soft brush as a lighting source, but most of the time they try to blend it in. In this case, I think that circle from the soft brush is a tad too obvious. Try just using a larger soft brush and just having about the bottom quarter of it actually on the tag. The placement of the light source however, was placed pretty much perfectly in the right place and almost just the right strength as well.

The effects are pretty nice, I will definitely say that. I like the mix, especially with the use of the wireframe. However, the wireframe to the left of the render I think needs to be toned down, or well kinda cut off sooner than how far up it goes. I like the wireframe, but the top of it that goes up next to the 'P' in the background tends to bug me, and that is what I start to focus on actually. Also the clipping mask I think needs to be trashed. I do not think a clipping mask is bad, but a clipping mask of the render's eyes just looks weird, at least placed right there over the effects. Then next, both of the bottom corners I think need to be transitioned a little differently. You have the messy type effects but then all of the sudden solid effects on the corners. Also the whole duplicate effects on the upper right kinda looks a tad odd, I think if that was toned down a little it would look quite nice. Also, the empty space effect on the left just looks out of place in my opinion.

6. `RGB

`RGB Well-Known Member

might aswell post a new one up for cnc
    i dont get it anywhere else ^_^

[​IMG]

7. Kalli

Kalli Senior Member

Skatz -

I will eventually get it going, but not til the start of next year. Right now, I am just too busy, and actually do not really have the cash to have the prizes. Then also, I am gonna be out of town from the 22nd - 2nd. So I MIGHT start it up if I get my laptop before I leave, otherwise I will not start it back up til 2008. Plus, I have to do the sign up sheet again and start from round one since half the contestants changed their name or left GR.

As for your tag, I personally like the style of it. However, there are still some downsides that I would LOVE to see in a different tag of the same style. First off, the duplicate bar on the left I think could be trashed. I think the tag would look much better at that same length, just with some extended effects on the sides of the tag. I am loving the colors of the tag, especially with that red, it makes the tag itself look amazing, even if it were a crap tag. However, the effects on the left middle are a little crowded in my opinion, and could either be toned down a little or just spread out a tad more, or more with sharpness and blurring.

I also think it would look nice if there were a few more effects in the background, instead of just the pen tool lines. I think it would look nice, maybe if there were some lightened blurred c4ds, or something in the back. Also maybe if you got rid of that border, or tried a different border it would help as well, I am personally not too fond of any types of borders though. Last are those two circles with I believe clipping masks. I think the small circle is placed perfectly but I think if the larger circle were moved down just a tad bit so it stays within the outline of the area in the back it would look nice, as though there are holes inside of it and not just two circles.

8. `RGB

`RGB Well-Known Member

yeh
    the duplicate bar i forgot too finish smudging haha

the sig itself isnt finished 100%, but its a working progress
    thanks anyway, i will fix it

9. Kalli

Kalli Senior Member

*rqb -

You do realize I have NOT critiqued your tag yet right? That was for Skatz...

10. `RGB

`RGB Well-Known Member

hahahahahaha
    just my luck

well ive looked at it twice, and fixed some bad points anyway..

[​IMG]

11. Kalli

Kalli Senior Member

Alright, well Im heading in for a shower because I have work in a few hours...but as soon as I get back I will give you a critique.

12. `RGB

`RGB Well-Known Member

ok thanks kalli

13. CarpeDiem

CarpeDiem Well-Known Member

Thanks, I appreciate it. I should have spent more time with the blurring/sharpening. Also, the "star effects" are from the background stock. Thanks again for the critique I'll keep it all in mind.

14. SkatZ

SkatZ Well-Known Member

Yeah. Thanks for that.

15. Kalli

Kalli Senior Member

*rqb -

Sorry for the delay m8. But I am done with my shower, but this will be my last for the night everyone, unless I decide to do any more when I get home.

Well the biggest thing that I am looking at and seeing in the tag is the smudging. It kinda makes the tag bland with the way the smudging looks. I am not sure if you were trying to get a cloud effect, fog effect, or maybe just exactly what you have, but unfortunately in my opinion it has ruined the tag. I think mainly because it is too overwhelming. If you had made it so that there was just a little, or just not as much over the render it would have looked much better. Because of it being so much, there is no flow in the tag at all, and there is very little depth except for one small area in the tag. I am curious though, is that the effect you were going for or were you going for more of a cloud effect?

Also, the render in the background seems to be a tad low quality, although it is nothing I would say that ruins the tag. The next thing I was taking a look at was the lighting in the tag. It looks like you have the light placement down pretty good, but the strength and the transition needs a little work. It seems as though there are three strengthening spots with the lighting. Looks like there is one on the top and two on the bottom, however there should never be three, and very rarely should there even be two. Also because they are so strong, it needs a lot more transitioning into darkness, and in this tag it seems to be a tad too sudden. The other thing is the lack of effects. There is nothing really going on in the tag. I think it would look a lot better with some blurred and sharpened effects, maybe even a few c4d renders just to bring some speckles in or something. Also with that too, you can create some better depth and some nice flow if you so choose to.