Kalli's Epic Critique Thread

Discussion in 'Signatures' started by Kalli, Jul 18, 2007.

1. Kalli

Kalli Senior Member

<div align="center">[​IMG]
    Please Read Rules Before Posting

UPDATE:</span> First I want to apologize to anyone who last posted who I did NOT critique. I have had a lot of stuff going on lately, but am somewhat settled and will try to occasionally get on here. So I am sorry, but will try my best to get on at least once a day to help out a few people each day. Forgive me if it takes me awhile to get back to my top critiquing, but I will try my best to keep up to my old standards.

Ok well I am finally starting my very own critique thread. Many people are always asking me to critique their Tag and I always end up forgetting. This will be my best way to make sure I get everyone who wants their tag critiqued. However, if this does get out of hand with flaming and people getting upset, I will immediately close this thread and will no longer critique anyone.

Now most of you are asking how I am gonna keep this up with so many people. That is very simple. When I am not here, I will not allow anyone to post their tags. Anyone who does I will not critique that tag and will not critique any tags of theirs for a full week. So yes, spamming does have its consiquences in here.

Finally, when I am gone you WILL know it. I will post in the Topic Description whether I am here to critique or whether I am currently away.

Ok well I want this to be a good thing....so there are VERY few rules that are needed to follow. They are only to make it fair to everyone.

<span style="color:red">1 - No More Than One Tag A Day (Except For Updated After CnC)
    2 - Please No Back Talk
    3 - When I Am Gone, Do NOT Post A Tag
    4 - Tag Must Be In Post (Not In Signature)

So now with that all said, let us begin!
    </div>

2. [.BC.] KriPTiQ

[.BC.] KriPTiQ Well-Known Member

W00T first post.

Hack away!

3. Kalli

Kalli Senior Member

Decadence - Please Read Rule 4

4. [.BC.] KriPTiQ

Lol that wasn't there when I posted.

[​IMG]

5. Kalli

Kalli Senior Member

Decadence - I think the overall feel of this tag is pretty nice, however there are still areas within the tag that if they were fixed/improved would make the tag much better. The first thing that I noticed that I did not like about the tag, is the colors within it seem kinda of dull. I think if there were some better colors, or if even these were more contrasted to look more pleasing it might look nice. The next thing that did it for me was the lighting. Like there is a light source, but it looks fake. Like I don't see a light, I just see a lighter color part of the background. The effects in the tag are pretty nice, and the smudging is decent, however those circles next to her head kinda of bug me, and maybe are a bit too much right there. The clipping mask is not bad, but maybe a little long imo.

6. [.BC.] KriPTiQ

Yea I think the lighting really needs help but I'm not the best at that. I liked the colors and the masks but thanks a bunch for your CC.

7. Kalli

Kalli Senior Member

You're Welcome!

Merged Post:

Ok well it is dead tonight so I am getting off. I will be back on tomorrow.

8. Kalli

Kalli Senior Member

Good Morning Everyone!

9. Harry

Harry Well-Known Member

i kinda go away from my style on this one... aka my current...

[​IMG]

personally, idk what to think..

10. Kalli

Kalli Senior Member

Harry -

I would have to say that your current is a better style for you, at least for the time being. This tag is not the best tag as it has quite a few things in it that could be much better. The first thing I thought to myself when I looked at the tag was that the render and the background do not fit well together. When using a render or stock, you have to make sure the style of effects along with the color will compliment the render/stock itself. In this case it just looks like the render got shoved in there almost on an abstract tag.

The second thing I think could use some improvement are the colors and contrast themselves. First off, the colors are not all that appealing in the tag as they are a bit too bright, and then having being over-contrasted, it makes them look even worse. Also the lighting you have used was not done the best. I think the lighting might look better if it was not so contrasted, but as of right now it looks forced to me. Meaning, that there are just two bright spots on each side of the tag.

Next would be your text. You did a good job when you went simple, because in my opinion, simple is almost always the best. However, in this case it is a bit too simple. It almost looks like you just quickly placed some small text in your tag. A word of advice, if you are going to add text, never do it in a rush. Experiment with sizes and fonts until you find that right font. Lastly, would be the effects. There is no flow and no real depth to the tag at all, which I think might have to mainly do with it being so contrasted. It looks like you used some decent effects, but those two widened lines going each way, just looks like forced flow. Never just have flow in front of the tag, with random in the back. That just makes the overall tag look messy.

11. `sparks

`sparks Jcoca

Wow. Talk about nice critique O_O

[​IMG]

12. Kalli

Kalli Senior Member

Aspect -

No I am not going easy on you since you are in BC....hehe. Anyway about the tag. I think your last tag was a LOT better on that....emphasis a lot on that. This tag kind of just looks like you whipped up something really quick and were not really trying at all. The very first thing I noticed about the tag that I did not like was the text. The whole tag itself seems kinda like faded in color, but then you have this text that looks like it was just slapped on almost. The color is vibrant much compared to the rest of the tag. Also the font choice and color just does not appeal all that much to me.

The next thing that I noticed was two things actually. First was the color of the tag, and then also the lighting as well. I know you have trouble with this, but this would be the main thing I would say you should practice on. The colors just seem very dull and boring...there is no vibrance in the tag at all, which is what can usually make or break a tag. Also the lighting is VERY strong and is in such a small place. With a light source that strong you want to make sure is spreads throughout the tag at a good rate. Also maybe try moving the light source up a little bit so you do not really see the center of the source.

Two more things and I am done, I swear. The first is the sprite. I like how you tried to either get a depth perception in there, or maybe just a kinda of motion feel. You blurred the bottom of the sprite, but you also blurred around the sprite. I would say either do one or the other, and then maybe even sharpen up which one you decided not to in areas. Then finally is the effects you have in here. They are very minimal and on the left it hurts the tag. It is so empty however, in the entire tag that it makes the tag feel unfinished. So maybe try adding some more effects in areas...blurring the background maybe slightly and ever sharpening up spots in the front to give it some depth. Depth is what is lacking a lot in here.

Merged Post:

Ok well since no one seems to be wanting me to CnC right now, I am gonna head off for awhile. I will be back on later.

13. Kalli

Kalli Senior Member

Ok I am back now. Post Away.

14. demonflair

demonflair Well-Known Member

Ok, I made this sig today, I want to know what do you think about it:

[​IMG]

15. Kalli

Kalli Senior Member

Demonflair -

The overall tag is nice, but I think that it could be a lot better. The first thing I noticed when I was looked at the tag though was the lighting. The light to dark contrast of the light source in the tag is way too fast. The light source looks completely out of place in the tag and does not really look like a light source. It also does not fit well with the render itself. The lighting on the render is not subtle, but it is not strong, it is right in between. Yet your light source is VERY strong compared to the rest of the tag. It also just sits in the upper right corner, it needs to kinda of expand. It needs to flow into darkness, not just cut off immediately.

The overall tag however seems kinda dark to me. However, that might just have to do with the render being so dark. So I would maybe suggest that you lighten up the render...it is so dark it is hard to even make out what the render is. Doing that also might compliment the brighter light source you have set in the tag. The effects are pretty nice, but there seems to be nothing in the background. I would think if you added a bit more back there it might look a little better. Lastly would have to be that D and the chain. They both just look out of place and the chain itself seems to disrupt the flow of the tag.