Just saying

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Unforgiven Soul, Jul 24, 2010.

1. Unforgiven Soul

Unforgiven Soul Senior Member

Um this has nothing to do with GR in general.. but signatures in general.

Back in my day.. when i actually cared about making sigs and poured my heart into them people where making so many different kinds of sigs.

Hell i remember when smudge was first discovered.. this caused a natural reaction.. everyone had to smudge.. but even then, the sigs looked different just smudged.. anyway I'm posting because i have an issue with this new fad.. everyone's tag's now have 50 billion C4D's like they are new or something.. and there usually very bright and BIG in general with small vector pieces here and there... Of course the renders change and the concepts change but the overall outcome is the same... so i guess what I'm asking is for some good artists to come forth and end this stupid trend!!! i want to see a "Good" sig that isn't C4D'ed out the ass then blurred into the background like its the only thing to do with tags. I want to see a tag that looks like a picture... not a 3D puke fest behind a render with random colors thrown in to make it look like its suppose to be there.

Do they even exist anymore?

I guess its because GR is like the tag site i go to anymore.. but idk.

2. Lefthanded

Lefthanded Gentlemen of Leisure

I think sigs just went out of style and people stopped taking note of them so the artists didnt really care.

3. Hatton92

Hatton92 Senior Member

Old school grunge ftw :D

I also remember, just before the c4d craze, the sprite signatures :)

4. 1.000 Watts

1.000 Watts Senior Member

Don't even talk about sprite sigs... Hahaha. Those really were nothing but c4d and some smudging..

I completely hear you loud and clear though, man. I noticed that GR goes through a LOT of sig/tag/whatever fads. Once one "style" is accepted and liked by at least half of the regular posters, it sticks and stays for a while. No matter how easy or graphically primitive.

I think the problem is, most people don't really spend a lot of time on signatures, so the "technique" never really gets TOO advanced.. Don't get me wrong, I know some members around here do spend decent time on their work, and it usually shows... But most of the time, when going a long with tutorials, or making a signature going along with the currently accepted style, you never really find yourself spending upwards of an hour or two.

I think one of the main issues is that a piece that is truly a graphically advanced piece would not be as flashy or "cool" in most cases as the fad styles. A very sleek, unique and clean piece could and SHOULD take hours of work for multiple days (talking professional here) and it wouldn't attract much attention at all from most members here because, let's face it, most of the members here are not technically "graphic designers"... Most are just kids with photoshop that want to learn the program in and out. And I respect that. I was that way for a good 5 years, and now I'm an actual designer who does actual jobs for people and is going to college for it.

I think even if we tried to change the current fad of sigs here there wouldn't be a very strong possibility of a turn around because as I said, most people here are trying to learn the program and get good at it. If people were making professional-grade designs, it would be intimidating and the newer kids wouldn't be able to keep up and it would probably be intimidating to an extent. Know what I'm saying?

And as Helpful thinking said: Grunge signatures. 'Nuff said.

5. Chimpy

Chimpy Well-Known Member

i always loved the vector style and the sprite fad was awesome tho lol made me want to play old games. but i agree with you everyone loves that damn C4D fad. ill be impressed when ppl create a 3D object/character in C4D/Maya and use it in their sig instead of those odd spikey, crazy 3D scribble scrabble thingys everyone uses lol.

6. Ravr

Ravr _______________

i never use or have used c4d at all. maybe in 1 or 2 sigs to try it out but it never worked out.

i only use the smudge tool.

7. Lefthanded

Lefthanded Gentlemen of Leisure

im gonna revolutionize the sig world with my minimalist style ok guys?!