Just Got A Imac

Discussion in 'Gaming' started by JWJ, Feb 14, 2008.

1. JWJ

JWJ Well-Known Member

Well, I Just bought an iMac and I was looking at getting back into gaming. I'm wondering what is the best software for graphics?

Thanks in advance. ^_^

2. MattMann

MattMann Well-Known Member

Windows and then reformat it..... jk

Before everyone and their mom says it im going to say it first. PHOTOSHOP.

3. xlink

xlink GR's Tech Enthusiast

windows XP. dead serious.

gaming and OSX aren't exactly what one considers a good combination.

Run the native version of WoW on OSX. Then run WoW on XP(natively NOT in parallels).
    run Doom III on OSX, then on XP
    run halo combat evolved on OSX then on XP.
    play Battlefield 2142 on OSX then on XP.

while doing this use identical settings and record frame rates

if you meant console gaming, then ^^photoshop

4. MattMann

MattMann Well-Known Member

You should try it in boot camp then you could atleast keep your OSX and dual boot.

5. xlink

^never said he couldn't do that.

At any given time I've got 5+ diferent OSes installed on my computer. Ubuntu linux x86-64, ubuntu x86-32, PC linux, Windows XP, winserver03, vista, vista x64, modified version of 2000, beta for winserver08 you name it.

6. dothedew

dothedew Well-Known Member

Dual boot XP with it.... There isnt many games for OSX and like xlink said about fps.
    Its accels in PS though.

7. xlink

yup.

Apple insists on "stability" so they forbid most 3rd parties from developing drivers.
    this results in really poor 3d performance since ATi and nVidia have quite complex chipsets and Apple, well I won't get too far into it. Let's just say ATi and nVidia's OSX drivers are on par with ATI's linux drivers

8. JWJ

JWJ Well-Known Member

Whoops! I must have phrased it wrong. When I said for graphics, I meant for graphics creation and editing. Sorry for the confusion.

Photoshop is still the best (even for apple) huh?

9. BiG-ReD

BiG-ReD Well-Known Member

yea id get photoshop, and if you edit videos id get Final Cut --- or something like that

10. dothedew

dothedew Well-Known Member

Photoshop was basically desgined on Apple and made for, it even has more features I believe on Apple computers.
    In college all the computer science, engineering computers, are all Win XP ------ and everything that runs photoshop is an Imac.
    Teachers said they run graphics extensive programs like PS better than windows.

But hey, PS runs on my windows computer, so I dont feel the need to buy a Apple.

11. xlink

Apple pays adobe big $$$ to make sure photoshop runs best on their platform.

so yes photoshop does run best in OSX. Now a $500PC will run PS better than a $500 mac due to having better hardware(apple has a really high markup) but that's besides the point

and I'll be honest, while I don't think OSX is worth the cost to me as an individual a lot fo people do and if you're one of the OSX is fairly stable and isn't that bad as an OS, it's just the drivers suck(and that's apple's fault because they really limit what 3rd parties can do)

12. Eksperimental

Eksperimental Well-Known Member

Apple's added some of the EA line up such as Battlefield 2142, Madden 08, Tiger Woods 08, basically their big hitters, but yah as for gaming not one of the best choices, but anything in media and graphic creation, Macs are really well suited and more than fully capable. As for Final Cut, I wouldn't recommend unless you are an extremely fast learner. I found it to be an extremely tedious program to learn, and still only know some of the basics, and have been on Mac's for the past 3 years.

The double boot though is definitely a good idea if you're interested in gaming on your iMac. What are your specs on it?

13. DanTheGreat

DanTheGreat Well-Known Member

no decent gamer would be caught dead with an iMac.

14. JWJ

JWJ Well-Known Member

24-inch: 1920 by 1200 pixels screen

2.8GHz Intel Core 2 Extreme processor

3 Gb of Memory

350 Gb Hard Drive

It's just the 24" iMac that you'd see in an Apple Store.

15. pianoman0723

pianoman0723 Well-Known Member

that's a pretty decent machine. one hell of a lot better than my imac... but really, gaming? you could boot xp or try to make due with indie, id, EA cider, epic, or aspyr games. now, id and epic are two fantastic developers but like xlink said, apple doesnt let people touch their stuff, so it's not as good. but gears of war is coming out sometime and so is UT3.

BUT thats not what you really asked about right? Graphic design? Photoshop. like everyone else said, it runs better on OSX than it does on XP. plus its easier to multitask (i.e. have a tutorial open in preview in the background and work on the sig at the same time).