Is Gr A Sinking Ship?

Discussion in 'Spam Heaven' started by //CrazyHorse, Apr 23, 2008.

1. Zohair

Zohair Formerly zohBOT

Greesy Pete only loves nudity! YES ONLY THAT OMG

<object width="425" height="350"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/obhzsRnGxt8"></param><param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/obhzsRnGxt8" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="350"></embed></object>

2. Jay

Jay Well-Known Member

Wall of text crits Jay for 24,480.
    Jay dies.

3. KimKiyaa

KimKiyaa Well-Known Member

Isn't there always a huge group of posts during a school year about "OMG GR DYING' when people don't realize that activity drops when people have a thing called school?

4. Dior

Dior -1xx,x00 credits.

Surprisingly, this isn't one of them kind of posts. He is merely trying to point out why he thinks it's slowly killed itself.

... which it is not.

5. Wynter

Wynter Senior Member

Activity isn't completely doused by people going ot school.. People are at school for, what, 6 hours per day? People work for a little longer perhaps.. Blaming the lack of activity on the fact that it is the middle of a school term just doesn't cut it.
    I told the members of BC that I was inactive due to starting a course and not having time, but the main reason is the fact that this forum is crammed full of idiots who like to spend their time insulting rather than ammending people. These sort of comments go completely unmoderated too, and in general, people don't like to be insulted, whether it be online or face to face.

Prime example:

I'll get comments back saying 'If you dont like it, gtfo' etc... That's my point.. Most people don't like it, and they leave. To be a member at GR, it is more of a requirement that you must be able to take a joke rather than wanting to learn more about GFX..
    I agree with the creator of this thread about GR bieng a sinking ship. Little things that make a forum look more ----- (like the smilies etc) is one minor problem, but it is my belief that it goes much, much deeper than that.
    But! No doubt I'll get flamed or some sarcastic comments back because it seems no one can put up a valid arguement anymore.. And even if they can, it will be worded in a way to insult rather than simply disagree.

6. DemsLover

DemsLover Senior Member

COPYPASTA

7. //CrazyHorse

//CrazyHorse Well-Known Member

I think this could be one of the main reasons for my getting a hostile response. Most people who agree with me have already left. At least one person is here, like me, to go down with the ship. :P

But, really. To everyone who has shot me down, namaste. The forum needs people like you. To honor the place where the owner's bottom line and public perception of naysayers becomes one.

8. dinges

dinges Senior Member

are you kidding me?
    this place has been on the bottom of the ocean for years
    not that I mind though

9. LL5

LL5 Senior Member

Everyone who has posted here saying GR is fine is deluded. It's known for a while that GR is dying and "new" ideas are being put into place which seems to be making the place far worse. Blocking the word p.ro is a prime example. P.ro is used a lot for technology and games. The blocked words are ridiculous aswell as other things. The new v4 will not be better than it is now. It will drive away a lot of people. New designers won't even be recognized. There's a reason we aren't a ---.fessional forum. 1. DA. 2. Community. No new members means no new conversations. Where do you suppose these people who are "p.ro" started. At the bottom. If new members aren't involved Graphics will become more and more focussed on just good designers. Throughout the internet.

10. r3m1x

r3m1x Well-Known Member

GR isn't dying. When GR first started up, people joined because it was cool and they wanted to see if what GR had to offer was right for them. Most of them tried making tutorials and renders which is why there is a huge amount of bad renders and tutorials someone in the depths of GR. Then the people that figured out that this isn't for them left, and this is whats left. Thats why the general quality of renders, resources, and tutorials has gone up, and the member count has gone down. Kinda seems like GR survival of the fittest.

11. Fallen

Fallen Senior Member

I think the reason that all of the poor tag makers are leaving are because of the comments that were said above. It doesn't seem like GR is really trying to help younger designers improve, a lot of people just either ignore the topic, or they flame. Which doesn't make a young designer want to stay. All they feel like is crap, and it doesn't help their self-esteem. I also HATE all people who post in the graphics section, and copy and paste, "Nice job, keep it up" onto about 15 threads in about 2 minutes to get their post count and credits up.

12. dementia

dementia Well-Known Member

Your right, were not, because for the past how many years we have catered to the new users on the site, and look at where it has gotten us.

13. //CrazyHorse

//CrazyHorse Well-Known Member

I don't follow... Are you saying that new users will cause your forum to end up in the toilet?
    If so, doesn't anyone else think it's a little dangerous to have admins who hate new users?

I think the more people who post, the more my point is proven. o_O

14. dementia

dementia Well-Known Member

New users does not equal site growing and increasing activity. The activity of a site is NOT dependent on the amount of users, but, you guessed it, activity from said members. GR has become a zone for new people to come in, freely take whatever they want, and then leave, without supplying a reason to stay. Thats fine and dandy and all, but were not going to cater to those individuals and try to make them stay as much anymore like we have been. Hence the reason for GR v4 being a stance in the opposite direction to attract already developed artists for mature art discussion rather than all of the current discussions about what brushes or c4d are hot atm.

I would appreciate it if you didn't try to twist my words when you know their true meaning.

15. Mezrec

Mezrec Well-Known Member

Not really sure anymore. I say somewhere...
    YES!
    Thats exactly why i stopped posting here, all my friends have left or gotten ------y and i get flamed constantly.
    Or just "yo , great job woo!"

Nobody reall likes helping on GR anymore..

GR is and will always be, a PILE
    Oh well, i've stuck around. I figure it'll get better eventually

Thats because the new members are found by majin and all the other wonderful people of GR and attacked for not being amazing.
    Very few supportive people on this website.
    So none of us can flourish.
    As noted, i stopped posting here becfause i just got effed in the A for not being perfect.

God damit, FINALLY a few people acknowledge this fact. Gah!!

And now for my words.

GR is a pile.
    It will always be one.
    But sometimes it surprisess me, tahts why I stay.

I havent given up on GR just yet.
    Neither should you :)
    I mean, hell, it's been 4 years for you, dont leave now!