Is Al Gore Wrong?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by SomeThingCreepy, Mar 11, 2007.

1. SomeThingCreepy

SomeThingCreepy Well-Known Member

So typically, it would seem that most legit scientists, or 99.99% scientists believe that global warming is an issue and is a man-made problem. Most people who don't support it were either bribed by Exxon or something or other.

Following An Inconvenient Truth, here is an actually consolidated (maybe even scientific) documentary arguing completely the contrary of man-made global warming (though it would appear that it does not disagree with global warming itself).

Read it and decide for yourself. Is global warming natural, or man made? If it's natural, does that mean that even the small window of 30 years we have to curb its effects is false, and that we're just doomed, period?

Here is a great documentary that I would STRONGLY recommend.

http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=90...811497638&hl=en

- Earth's 4.5 billion year history is one long story of climate change. There were several periods in history, notably the Medi------ Warm Period and the Holocene Maximum, which were much warmer than today. In the 17th century, Europe experienced the Little Ice Age, where temperatures were so consistently chilly that ice skaters revelled on the completely frozen London Thames.

- From the 1940's until the 1980's, the Earth experienced a significant cooling period, despite the fact that industrial production and release of CO2 vastly accelerated during this time. This led to political and media scaremongering about global cooling, the threat that the earth was in the midst of a new ice age. The documentary featured telling clips from alarmist documentaries at the time that implored us to try and reverse the trend of worldwide temparature decrease or face meterological apocalypse.

- Antarctic ice core samples show that the rise in carbon dioxide levels lags behind temperature rise by 800 years, therefore cannot be the cause of it. The documentary exposes how Al Gore, in his film Inconvenient Truth, deliberately reverses these figures to claim CO2 causes temperature change, when in fact the opposite is the case.

What are your views?

2. ferret

ferret Well-Known Member

My view:

It's happened before (i.e. ice ages, heat periods - all proven), and it's happening again today. "Scaremongering" is what really makes the issue big.

That is not to say that dumping huge amounts of CO2 into the atmosphere is OK, either. It's certainly not helping the situation, but it's not as significant as people like Gore say it is.

3. .Celestial

.Celestial Well-Known Member

I don't care. It's not going to effect my generation too much.

4. XxCarbinexX

XxCarbinexX Well-Known Member

I think that global warming exists, but it's not man's fault.

5. blahablaheek

blahablaheek Well-Known Member

But what about next generations, maybe your children (if you ever have any/already have some)

I believe that CO2 is doing very little to do this. All of this is natural. Earth heats up, melts, something drastic happens w/ the currents, cools everything down, it all goes back to normal, restarts.

6. xlink

xlink GR's Tech Enthusiast

if Co2 traps heat in, doesn't it also shield us from receiving heat in?

Edit
    for the record, my house is 2 miles from the beach and 62 feat above sea level.

I WANT BEACH FRONT PROEPRTY

7. oasis420

oasis420 Senior Member

i dont think its as bad as the media makes it out to be....

and al gore is a joke lol mr. "i invented the internet" haha

8. Majin

Majin Senior Member

The earth itself goes through changes, i mean only 10,000 ago we had an ice age? For that to happen the earths temprature must change drastically. And if im correct or i missed something 10,000years ago man did not have the technology we posses today therefore i doubt could cause an ice age to happen.

So my view, global warming is not man made, it's just the earth having a hissy fit.

9. ChiefNX

ChiefNX Well-Known Member

Again, initial carbon dioxide increase was the result of feedback from a Milakovitch cycle, causing vastly greater temperature rises than we can attribute to the effects of the cycle itself.

It's a real shame that this programme was even allowed to be shown in the first place. People will believe anything on television, especially when it tells them exactly what they want to hear.

10. Fr0sty

Fr0sty Well-Known Member

maybe in small details? but global warming is a fact and it should be our number one priority cuz if we dont have an earth to live on no other things matter.

11. becks

becks Well-Known Member

god knws whos right or wrong when it comes to global warming.but i can say it is making difference though coz summers in england are getting hotter!

12. Andrew

Andrew Well-Known Member

He never claimed to invent the internet, he took credit for bringing it into the education system - which he did.

13. SM RxBandits

SM RxBandits Senior Member

of course hes right. hes done his research and he is a very smart person. its all true.

14. SomeThingCreepy

SomeThingCreepy Well-Known Member

You do realize that the correlation between carbon dioxide and temperatures is strange. Temperature rises THEN CO2 rises. Not the other way around. If you watched the video you'd understand. CO2 makes up like 0.0001% (rough estimate) of the atmosphere. Water vapor is 95% of the green house gases.

In fact, if green house gases WERE in fact, a reason as to why global warming was happening, including CO2, take into consideration that Volcanoes, vegetation, and the ocean make up 95% of the CO2 released. Humans and everything that we have mechanically produced takes up the other 5%. CO2 is not a reason as to why the temperature rises. Temperatures rise, then CO2 rises.

During the Medievel times, the world was so much more warm than it is now. 8,000 years ago, it was even Warmer than that! The ice caps didn't melt and flood with world. Why would it this time? It's just a cycle. It happens all the time.

15. ferret

ferret Well-Known Member

Tell you what: you want the CO2 levels to go down? Stop breathing. Hypocrites ;).