Ipod Or Psp?

Discussion in 'Spam Heaven' started by Trax, May 12, 2006.

1. Trax

Trax Well-Known Member

I'm thinking of buying either one. I am not sure which to buy so I want your opinion. I'm sure their prices are relatively the same at my country. 800 a piece (iPod 2GB and PSP Basic Package).

2. xlink

xlink GR's Tech Enthusiast

get the PSP most likely
    iPods are overpriced for what you get

or you could get a zen...

3. .HaVoC.

.HaVoC. ┌∩┐(-_-)┌∩┐

get the iPod

4. Trax

Trax Well-Known Member

And guys, please state a reason. Don't just come in and say "Ipod coz sony suxx0rs!!1!".

5. xlink

well what reason is there to say other than that for slightly more you get a gaming system tossed in, you know sony makes it's money from systems off royalties and not from the actual system itself...

6. oO BMW M3 Oo

oO BMW M3 Oo Well-Known Member

Enough said.​

7. thestarofdeath

thestarofdeath Well-Known Member

Ipod. Smaller, More portable

8. UV Moose

UV Moose Well-Known Member

Well, I have an iPod, and my friend has a PSP, and personally after trying and tinkering it with awhile, I've gonna have to go for the iPod, here's the reasons:

1. Size - the iPod (especially the 30 Gig Video) is amazingly small compared to the PSP (which you really can't comfortably fit in your pocket)

2. Practicality - on the media side, both work basically the same, but the first problem is that with the PSP you need to get a memory stick, and they're pretty expensive depending on how big you want them (the 1 Gig runs at about $50) The iPod has it's memory built in. Also, for the iPod, if you really don't like changing your music into ACC format (which is the default for iPods) you can download a freeware program called Rockbox which lets you play MP3s

3. Accessories - Now, you probably don't care much about this, but just want to say, the iPod has more crap that you can add onto it than the PSP :lol:

4. Overall price - Okay, now I know that whatever thing you get, you're not really going to pay for a lot of the stuff :lol: But what I mean by this is: How much do you need to actually get practical use out of it. For the PSP, you need to buy the system, then the memory stick for videos and music, and also the games (which run about $30-40) for the iPod, you just buy it, and if you have music, you can go and use it without really buying anything else

5. Upkeep - To put this as simple as possible... the iPods a much simpler and smaller machine. Let me elaborate: First, the screen. While both are scatched easily, the PSP's has a much bigger surface area, which makes it harder to protect. Additionally, you need to worry about the keys and control sticks. Also, the iPod is a more sturdy machine. Now, I'm not just BSing, with me, I had my iPod fall for a good ten feet into pavement (accidentially, of course :lol:) and the problems were only cosmetic (There were dents on the side of the case and some scatches, but nothing that would stop me from playing) With my friend's PSP, he put it in his back pocket and sat down without knowing it was there on a wooden chair, and the scrren was completely broken and the Circle button was pressed in so far that he could use it

Also, so that it doesn't seem like I'm just bashing on the PSP, here's the good points for it:

- Huge, well lit screen (perfect for movies)
    - Able to use the internet when at hotspots (though, like Rockbox, it does take a bit of tweaking)
    - Able to play games (which are basically like the PS2 ones, but with longer load times and without another analog stick)
    - Able to do a lot of customization from the getgo (like custom wallpapers)

Hope that helped ya ^_^

9. fuse

fuse Well-Known Member

Zen or other less expensive mp3 player. If you don't like PSP's games and don't want to shell out extra money for a memory stick, it's not really worth getting. :P

10. xlink

umm aren't 1GB memory sticks relatively cheap? cheaper than replacing the battery in an iPod after a year and a half

11. Chilled

Chilled Senior Member

get the psp, it ill cost more with the memory stick and everything but not only can you listen to music, you can play other people online, actually browse the net..play games, and look at pictures.

12. ^Gurkins.

^Gurkins. Well-Known Member

Ipod, unless you are buying a 1.5 PSP(or lower) from ebay.
    The PSP is ok but nothing personally intrests me with it other than homebrew.

13. Palgie

Palgie Well-Known Member

i have both and to be very honest i prefer a video ipod, psp also have extra charges for the games £25 a pop, less games you have the worse the psp gets, but the ipod is huge and easyly used without getting noticed 2 mutch and with no extra charge its alot cheaper than the psp, the video quality is exelent and i think iv got 20+ movies on my ipod still room for atleast another 20 more :| (legaly ovcourse) and i think personaly ipod (video) is the one to go for. unless your a hardcore gamer with no price budget...

Merged Post:

yes you can browse the net but its pritty mutch useless as you need the wap key etc in most cases and whats the point going on the psp and having a slow page load spead when if your getting a wirless connection from your pc then you might aswell be on your pc :|. Yes you can play people online but mainly you need to be near them unless you get a game that you can connect to others. so unless you know more than one person with a psp its not very entertaining, also the risk of the psp getting stolen is about 70% more than the ipod because you playing games so it would be waisting money, also if you get the video ipod you can view pictures aswell as video's so the only extra benifit of getting a psp is the games but the size of the psp you cant exactly but on 100's - 1000's of tracks onto it and barley fit 2 films on so overall i think Ipod video is my choice.

Thanks

14. UV Tipio.

UV Tipio. Well-Known Member

PSP with a better mem card.. than you basicly have an iPod and a psp..

15. FawkinFresh

FawkinFresh Well-Known Member

ipod, best if you get the video ipod.