Iphone V. Blackberry

Discussion in 'Gaming' started by White Tiger, Apr 29, 2008.

1. White Tiger

White Tiger Well-Known Member

I am considering going from my phone to either a Blackberry or an iPhone. I know the iPhone has a lot more features, least ot my knowledge, but it's a good bit more expensive. Which is the best option in terms of functionality and price?

2. bluefalcon_ad

bluefalcon_ad Well-Known Member

3. xX ParaDox

xX ParaDox Well-Known Member

Not really, because most of its critics from that page are fixed.
    Can customize ringtones with your own mp3s: Fixed
    Can record video: Possible when jalibroken.
    Can send MMS messages: Fixed
    Voice dialing: Fixed
    Can record voice: Possible when jailbroken.
    Instant messaging: Possible through the Safari web browser or a 3rd party app when jalibroken.
    Can't do fundamental tasks like copy & paste text: Can partly do [Mail, Notes, & Safari] when jailbroken from an app.

But personally, if email is more a high priority, get the blackberry. Otherwise its your choice of any smartphone that can do what you need.

4. //CrazyHorse

//CrazyHorse Well-Known Member

actually the blackberry has more features.
    iPhone has no turn-by-turn GPS, no clickable links in sms messages, a weaker camera (1.3 megapixels whereas blackberry is 2.0), no Exchange support (yet), and no mp3 ringtones.

That said, the iPhone software kicks RIM's ass. It really does. Not necessarily in features, but in ease of use. Plus you can surf the real, legitimate internet on the iPhone. The closest thing the blackberry has is Opera. (though neither of them has support for flash. yet.) That and listening to MP3's on the blackberry sucks. You can shove like 4 gigs of space in there at the most, and the gui for music listening is crap. Same for the BB software for windows: absolutely worthless.

I'm using the Pearl, and overall I'm really impressed with it, but I'd still trade it for the iPhone tomorrow, given the chance.

5. Leetsauce

Leetsauce Well-Known Member

Or look at the symbian, or windows mobile platforms for more headroom on performance.
    Go for power, no gimmics.

6. wildsorrow

wildsorrow Well-Known Member

If you're a student, you shouldn't get any of them.
    If you're a student in Japan, you should get them both, you got money to waste.
    If you're a student in England, your phone bill will eat you alive and you shouldn't get any of them.
    If you're a student in America, and you don't have an mp3 or mp4 player already, you are living in the 20th century and should get the iphone to give yourself "hope".

If you like email = Blackberry
    If you use itunes = Iphone
    If you get lost all the time = Blackberry
    If you are easily fascinated by swishy animations = iphone
    If you got small fingers = Blackberry
    If you want to get robbed = iphone mostly
    If you want to look grown up and cool = Blackberry
    If you want to feel the wrath of Apple's customer services = iphone
    If you want super cool instant messaging = Blackberry
    If you want decent music and videos = iphone
    If you already got an mp3 player = Blackberry
    If you don't like pressing buttons = iphone

-

7. Ghosn

Ghosn Well-Known Member

Actually if you Jailbreak the iPhone you can edit any system sound on your iPhone including ringtone.

8. FTWrath

FTWrath Well-Known Member

Um the videos i have on my blackberry are better quality than the one son my iPod. It detects 1500 colors. I love it to death. I have the new curve. The applications you can put on there are endless and most are free.
    Google provides free google nav, i always use it.
    Just about everything is customizable and i still to thisn day find new things to do on it.
    Pictures quality is as good as a digital camera almost. 1600 by 1200 photos and quality on them is great.
    I overall love it.
    I'm 6'4 220 pounds and i have big fingers and it's no problem for me to text, in fact i probably send around 300-500 a day.

iPhone doesn't have more features.
    For your blackberry you don't even need to download apps to your computer before adding them to your phone. Just go on Opera (an app you can download and install) and direct it to the link of the app and it will install it immediately.
    Sites like http://crackberry.com are great examples of what you can do with you blackberry.
    If you want freedom and customization go with the blackberry.
    I asked myself the same question when i was upgrading my phone last month and the blackberry was the best choice I've made in a long time.

9. Ghosn

Ghosn Well-Known Member

Um. Once you jailbreak your iPhone, it'll will install an app called Installer, which allows you to download and install direct to the iPhone all for free, about 5-10 new apps are added each day.
    Imo, the iPhone is a lot more customizable.
    You can change the background and icons, the Carrier Image of the iPhone (if you really wanted to), Customize your WiFi bars, any of the sliders (eg: the slider where you use to unlock the iPhone. Mines a Puma logo atm), change the Springboard strings (instead of saying Slide To Unlock, you can type I love my iPhone or w/e).
    There are also many great games you can also play if you want, such as: NES (Emulator), PS1 (Emulator), Gameboy (Emulator), Sega Genesis (Emulator), Tetris, Falling Sand, Doom, rRootage and much much more.

Here are some pics:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

10. nanSTA

nanSTA Senior Member

Once you Jailbreak it, iPhone does wonders...iPhone wins.

11. CaptainPeanuts

CaptainPeanuts Senior Member

I have owned both, and I got rid of the iPhone after a month... even with it jailbreaked. I use my BB now every day. The email system, the BB servers, everything about the BB I like better. I have the BB 8800 from T-Mobile, and I got it for $150. Far less than the price tag you'll see on the iPhone. If your college has an integrated BB Enterprise Server, then it should be a no brainer. Either way, don't expect to get off with a cheap phone bill. To use all the features on either phone is going to cost you $20 / month or more. Here are some of the superior features I have found over the iPhone.

Scheduling and Appointments are a lot easier and can be shared with any Outlook Calendar
    Support for BB is top notch. In addition to the forums, BB tech support normally gets back to me in less than 2 hours for any issue.
    A BB is more user friendly with integrating with your PC.
    Messaging capabilities are great.
    There is a ton of third party software out.
    BB has already been proven. They have been around for years longer than the iPhone....

12. wildsorrow

wildsorrow Well-Known Member

A phrase I've been hearing alot is "jailbreak".

Why do I have to "jailbreak" my iphone (if I had one) in-order to make it cool?
    Why isn't the iphone cool enough as it is?
    What if I didn't know how to "jailbreak" it?

"Iphone can do this IF you jailbreak it...."

Why is there an "if"?

Why isn't there a full stop on "iphone can do this..."

-

13. Oroboro

Oroboro Well-Known Member

because it has the potential to be awesome,but apple is gay and you have to jailbreak it to make it awesome
    its the same thing with sony and the ps3, except you cant mod the ps3. so it just kinda sucks *gamewise*

and to answer the question i have an iphone and i seriously love it,although if your a student you should defiantely get the blackberry

14. Ghosn

Ghosn Well-Known Member

There is an "if" because Apple is evil, The firmware is "jailed" therefore only allowing Apple Apps on to the iPhone. Only if you jailbreak the firmware till you can get third party apps (such as: read below). Although Apple is always releasing new firmware to patch the security weaknesses people will still be able to hack it.
    Although, iPhone has released the SDK for developers.

15. Neuron

Neuron Senior Member

My girlfriend has an iPhone, I've used it a good number of times.

It totally crushes anything a Blackberry could offer. It has a fairly good camera, which can record once jail broken. The way the text messaging setup is awesome, it doesn't display individual messages, but the persons name and once clicked it shows the entire log of messages sent unless the convo was reset.. The iPod on it is very cool and neat. You can listen to music and have your iPod locked at the same time, when someone calls you, theres a special button/mic hybrid that once pressed lets you pick up your phone and talk without literally picking it up. It has a surface that cannot be scratched, unless you really try with a hard object, but for normal items like keys and such, it won't scratch. The E-mail service is nice, but only offers support for Exchange, POP3, or IMAP.

One thing that is very irritating about it is it's Wi-Fi setup. Especially if a password is needed to use your home connection.

If you want extra apps, you could jailbreak it, but your warranty will be voided obviously. Another thing, don't buy one if you're going to unlock it for other networks.