Ipb Help Topic

Discussion in 'Gaming' started by Andrew, Jun 6, 2005.

1. Andrew

Andrew Well-Known Member

IPB Help Topic
    .:. Where the smart people come to look.:.

1. Installing a skin
    2. Remove (Powered by Invision Power Board), and no its not illegal!
    3. Where to get skins
    4. Where to get mods
    5. Add a donate button if you have IBStore
    6. Backing up & Restoring a MySQL Database using PHPMyAdmin/SSH
    7. What MySQL database/files to save in order to transfer a board members, post, and topics to another board. *Updated*
    8. Run a Query
    9. FTP Errors/and #’s
    10. InvisionFree
    11. Legal boards, and illegal boards.
    12. IPB End Links
    13. How do I get the "latest news" thing?
    14. How do I add a copyright notice at the bottom of every forum page?
    15. I'm trying to edit my skin's CSS but I don't know what things correspond to what?
    16. Add Icons at the top of the board
    17. The guide goes through various moderation functions like pin, close, split, merge etc. and also shows how to use the inline moderation. (Must be a IPS Customer to view this, i'm working on fixing this problem)
    18. Still need help?

19. & 20. Reputation System & IBStore

Why do this? Most of these questions are questions I have been asked frequently, and I think its best I post these for people to look through. If you still need help, feel free to PM me or check out my IPB Shop, and we will see what I offer. If you see anything you would like added here, feel free to also PM, or add me on MSN IM at: [email protected]

Will try to keep it updated as much as possible.

BFTP, IPB God

1. Installing a Skin by BFTP
    Here is the easiest way to install a skin for a 2.0.3 or 2.0.4 board.
    Get the skin files, and look for the .xml files. You should have one for the actual skin, and one for images. Upload these into your root folder, where you find index.php, admin.php, etc. Then go to AdminCP -> Skins & Templates->Skins Import/Export-> Enter the filename of the XML Template Set: Put the file name here and remember the following: make sure it starts it ipb_ and ends with .xml. Import it, and follow the same instructions for the images. Then Skin Manager, click the new skinedit settings, and change it to the correct image file.

2. Remove (Powered by Invision Power Board), and no its not illegal! by BFTP
    When saving a link into your favorites, you get the name of your board(can be changed in AdminCP) and then that annoying long word…(Powered by Invision Power Board), this is how you can change it, or get rid of it all together: Open sources/boards.php -> look for, $cp = " (Powered by Invision Power Board)"; and change it to whatever you want, and re-upload it to server!

3. Where to get skins
    http://www.IFSkinZone.net
    http://www.extremepixels.com
    http://www.transversestyles.com
    http://www.invisionthings.com/
    http://www.skinblizzards.net/skinstudios/f....php?act=portal

Some of these sites are just CSS, others give em out free, and some are paid sites.

4. Where to get mods
    http://www.invisionize.com
    or check out the developer’s website for even more information

5. Add a donate button if you have IBStore by Gareth
    AdminCP >> skin manager >> {select Skin} >> Root Skin Html >> TopicView >> RenderRow >> and then beneath '{$author['member_points']}
    '
    and add: Donate CFX Creds</br>

Exchanging the link for your own.

6. Backing Up & Restoring a MySQL Database using PHPMyAdmin / SSH by Sully
    ==========================================================================
    This is just a short mini-tutorial explaining how to backup parts of
    the MySQL Database using PHPMyAdmin & also via SSH (Secure Shell) access.
    This tutorial should be of use to most people, as its an important part
    of any website/forum maintenance!

So, lets get started....

Step.I -- Backing up using PhpMyAdmin
    ======================================
    Note: Most good hosts provide PhpMyAdmin (MySQL Administration). If you do not know where it is or even if it exists on your server, just get in touch with your host!
    1. Login to PHPMyAdmin.
    2. Select the database you wish to use.
    3. On the nav bar on the top select "Export" (besides SQL, Structure, Search, Query etc.)
    4. You should now be presented with a nifty little page which shows all the tables in the database, SQL Options and Save types.
    Note: Yes the tables of the database will be shown to the far left in a frame, but they will also be displayed in a different form on this new page to the right in PhpMyAdmin.
    5. To backup the whole database click "Select All" under the list of tables in the page.
    6. To backup a selected few, just hold down CTRL on your keyboard and select the tables you wish to backup (release the Key when all selecting is done!)
    7. SQL Options can be left as default, but I suggest ticking the "Add DROP TABLE" option as if you are restoring a backup on a database that already exsists and has the table in it - you will get a lot of errors! This way, by ticking the "Add DROP TABLE" you will avoid the errors. For more information on the options just click the little "?" icon after SQL Options.
    8. If you want to save the backup as a file (Recommended) then tick "Save as file" - Leave file name as is or edit for your needs. Select "gzipped" as compression. Now click "Go". If asked, choose "Save to disk" and save it wherever on your computer (It may take sometime depending on the size)!
    9. If you want to show the whole backup SQL on your browser window, don't tick "Save as file" - once you have selected the tables you wish to backup (explained in Step 5/6) click "Go". The page will now change and should show the SQL information. (It may take sometime depending on the size). Copy and paste it to a text file or do whatever you want with it!

Congratulations! You have successfully backed up your database / selected tables!

Step.II -- Restoring your database using PhpMyAdmin
    ===================================================
    Note: Most good hosts provide PhpMyAdmin (MySQL Administration). If you do not know where it is or even if it exists on your server, just get in touch with your host!
    1. Login to PHPMyAdmin.
    2. Select the database you wish to use.
    3. On the nav bar on the top select "SQL" (besides Export, Structure, Search, Query etc.)
    4. You should now be presented with a little page which allows you to run SQL query/queries on the database -- Either by inputting the query/queries to the input box or by locating a text file on your computer.
    5. You now have 2 options: 1) Paste the SQL which you backed up earlier in the "Input Box" and click "Go". OR 2) If you saved the file on your PC then use the option below the first one; Click Browse > Locate the File > Click "Go". (Note: Most servers set a "Max File Size" for uploading the SQL, the size appears beside the Browse button.)
    6. It may take sometime for the file to be uploaded and fully run, so give it a chance! Once it worked, it will bring you back to the same page and should confirm if all went well "Your SQL-query has been executed successfully : The content of your file has been inserted."

Congratulations! If all went well, you have successfully restored your backed up database!

Step.III -- Backing up using SSH
    =================================
    Note: Some hosts do not offer SSH access, I suggest contacting your host and asking him/her if SSH access is enabled and if so the details. A good program to use for connecting via SSH is PuTTY (Get it at: http://www.chiark.greenend.org.uk/~sgtatha.../download.html) <http://www.chiark.greenend.org.uk/~sgtatham/putty/download.html)>. Don't know how to use it? Search google for a tutorial
    1. Connect to your host via SSH, login & run: mysqldump --opt -u user -p dbname > {path}/backup.sql
    2. You will be asked to type out your password once you run that command, do so & click enter. It may take some time for it to respond, but once completed you should be brought back to where you started (bash/command line).

Congratulations! You sucesfully backed up your database using SSH

Step.IV -- Restoring using SSH
    ===============================
    Note: Some hosts do not offer SSH access, I suggest contacting your host and asking him/her if SSH access is enabled and if so the details. A good program to use for connecting via SSH is PuTTY (Get it at: http://www.chiark.greenend.org.uk/~sgtatha.../download.html) <http://www.chiark.greenend.org.uk/~sgtatham/putty/download.html)>. Don't know how to use it? Search google for a tutorial
    1. Connect to your host via SSH, login & run: mysql -u user -p dbname < {path}/backup.sql
    2. You will be asked to type out your password once you run that command, do so & click enter. It may take some time for it to respond, but once completed you should be brought back to where you started (bash/command line).

Congratulations! You successfully restored your database using SSH

Conclusion
    ===========
    Thats basically it I think, I believe I have covered everything? Anything I missed? Comments or Suggestions? Just let me know! Hope this tutorial was as useful to you as it is to me!

Update: A suggestion for the PhpMyAdmin Backup was made by Rockee - Just selecting an option for the SQL Properties when backing up. The topic has been updated to reflect these changes!

- Sully

7. What MySQL database/files to save in order to transfer a board members, post, and topics to another board.

ibf_announcements, ibf_attachments, ibf_attachments_type, ibf_banfilters, ibf_calendar_events, ibf_forum_perms, ibf_forums, ibf_groups, ibf_members, ibf_moderators, ibf_polls, ibf_posts, ibf_titles, and ibf_topics are some important ones you can transfer, pretty basic on which each one is. I am still trying to figure out this part. If you have anything else to add, just let me know through PM, or posting. I'll add a step by step guide on how to grab these SQL files, and re-upload them in your new database asap!

8. What MySQL database/files to save in order to transfer a board members, post, and topics to another board.

Can be done from ACP > SQL Toolbox

9. FTP Errors/and #’s
    The most common codes:
    421 - often means: too many users logged to the same account.

530 - wrong login:pass, some servers auto-switch to 530 from
    421 when they reach the max # of users. so notice the
    error message attached to the code.

550 - common in Ratio site, If the file exsist it means you have no
    access to the file or dir.
    if you try changing dirs in an FTP and you`re getting a 550
    message, it means you don`t have access to the dir, but,
    It doesn`t mean you don`t have access to a dir
    inside that dir. (meaning when getting a direct path, log into
    the path directly, not 1 dir by 1).

All others:

110 Restart marker reply. In this case, the text is exact and not left to the particular implementation; it must read: MARK yyyy = mmmm Where yyyy is User-process data stream marker, and mmmm server's equivalent marker (note the spaces between markers and "=").
    120 Service ready in nnn minutes.
    125 Data connection already open; transfer starting.
    150 File status okay; about to open data connection.
    200 Command okay.
    202 Command not implemented, superfluous at this site.
    211 System status, or system help reply.
    212 Directory status.
    213 File status.
    214 Help message. On how to use the server or the meaning of a particular non-standard command. This reply is useful only to the human user.
    215 NAME system type. Where NAME is an official system name from the list in the Assigned Numbers document.
    220 Service ready for new user.
    221 Service closing control connection. Logged out if appropriate.
    225 Data connection open; no transfer in progress.
    226 Closing data connection. Requested file action successful (for example, file transfer or file abort).
    227 Entering Passive Mode (h1,h2,h3,h4,p1,p2).
    230 User logged in, proceed.
    250 Requested file action okay, completed.
    257 "PATHNAME" created.
    331 User name okay, need password.
    332 Need account for login.
    350 Requested file action pending further information.
    421 Too many users logged to the same account
    425 Can't open data connection.
    426 Connection closed; transfer aborted.
    450 Requested file action not taken. File unavailable (e.g., file busy).
    451 Requested action aborted: local error in processing.
    452 Requested action not taken. Insufficient storage space in system.
    500 Syntax error, command unrecognized. This may include errors such as command line too long.
    501 Syntax error in parameters or arguments.
    502 Command not implemented.
    503 Bad sequence of commands.
    504 Command not implemented for that parameter.
    530 Not logged in.
    532 Need account for storing files.
    550 Requested action not taken. File unavailable (e.g., file not found, no access).
    551 Requested action aborted: page type unknown.
    552 Requested file action aborted. Exceeded storage allocation (for current directory or dataset).
    553 Requested action not taken. File name not allowed.

10. InvisionFree
    NO , you cannot have mods installed on InvisionFree, nor have skins installed. Stop asking, get your own space, and a domain, and install IPB.

11. Legal boards, and illegal boards.
    How can you tell? Add ?ipsreport=1 to the end of the index.php link, and see if it legal or not.
    If it shows a number, or refreshes the page, it’s a legal version.

Only legal board versions without a license: V1.3(U) and 2.0.1(U) – not given out anymore.

12. IPB End Links

What are IPB links? Each board often has mods, or default stuff added to it, such as calender, search, FAQ or help, store, downloads, arcade, etc that are not advertised via buttons or links on the board. Here is the end links to get around a board faster, or to places that aren't advertised on the board(no button on the top or something similar.) I'll add a few other major ones as I remember/see them.

index page = ?act=idx
    gallery = ?act=module&module=gallery (or ?act=gallery i think)
    store =?act=store
    search =?act=Search
    Members =?act=Members
    Portal if installed will be index.php
    Tutorials Mod = ?act=tutorials
    Toplist mod =?act=toplist
    arcade =?act=arcade
    Help/FAQ = ?act=Help
    Get a forum = ?showforum=(forum # here...rollover a forum to get the #)
    Get a topic = ?showtopic=(don't bother trying to get a topic #=P)
    Check a board = ?ipsreport=1

13. How do I get the "latest news" thing?

ACP -> System Settings -> View All General Settings -> News Set-up. Just pick the forum and you're done!

14. How do I add a copyright notice at the bottom of every forum page?

ACP -> Skin Manager -> Your Skin -> Edit Root Skin Board Header & Footer Wrapper. Under <% COPYRIGHT %> but before </div>, add your copyright notice

15. I'm trying to edit my skin's CSS but I don't know what things correspond to what?

Board Index
    Forum Index
    Topic View

16. Add Icons at the top of the board

The Search, Members, Help, and Calendar should be there by default, but if you want those specific icons, or others, this is how:

Code:
    [url="{ipb.script_url}act=Help"]{ipb.lang['tb_help']}[/url]< href="{ipb.script_url}act=Help">{ipb.lang['tb_help']}</a>
    Just change out each part with what you want, and you can now add an logo at the top of the board.

17. The guide goes through various moderation functions like pin, close, split, merge etc. and also shows how to use the inline moderation.

HERE

18. Still need help?
    Contact me via PM or msn im, or post under computers, and see if someone can help.

19. & 20...requested to be added by Mayur :P

Q. Is there a reputation mod like the one here on GameRenders?
    A. Yes there is for some versions. (Look below)
    IPB v1.1 | IPB v1.2 | IPB v1.3 |

2.0.x - Will update with a link to it, made by Dean(d-scripting)

Q. Where can I find the store mod for IPB?
    A. Due to the requests of the creator, it is no longer available to the public. Their is still one for v1.3x, called IBShop that can still be found at Invisionize.
    BFTP

2. KrazyNick

KrazyNick Well-Known Member

Wow this helps so much pm llama and ask him if he will pin it up top this could help alot of others

3. TripleX

TripleX Well-Known Member

Thanks man this is really helpful considering how I am getting invision.
    + rep

4. Sensi

Sensi Well-Known Member

*Pinned*

Very helpful

(posttoshort)

5. KoRuPT

KoRuPT Senior Member

Thanks this helped me alot. Great post. *Bookmarks* :D

6. Mute.

Mute. Well-Known Member

this was very helpfull, +rep for you man

7. madmav

madmav Well-Known Member

:eek: a mod avoiding spam mod
    BAN HIM!!!!!!!!

heh nice guide

8. skandalouz

skandalouz Well-Known Member

9. Andrew

Andrew Well-Known Member

If it sends you to the main page like that, it also makes it legal. Llam just made it so you can't view the License # ;)

10. tsj5j

tsj5j Well-Known Member

Perhaps you can post a topic like that for PHPBB,
    cos its a free and good alternative...

And isn't removing copyright illegal, unless you buy another copyright removal license?

11. Andrew

Andrew Well-Known Member

I don't do phpBB, maybe you can get Albemit to do something like that. Read above, its not illegal to remove the Powered by invision Power board. I'll add an screenshot to that part to show ya what i'm talking bout.

BFTP

12. Fate

Fate Well-Known Member

No he hasnt, IPB 1.3 doesnt have ipsreport=1, it was only introduced in version 2.

And all this stuff in this thread is basic common sense that i thought everyone would know, if you consider yourself and IPB God for knowing this basic stuff then i'm way beyond an IPB God lol.

13. Andrew

Andrew Well-Known Member

There simple stuff for you and I Gareth, but half the people who deal with IPB most likely don't know half of it. I know at least 4 or 5 people that submitted a request to work in my IPB shop, didn't even know how to run a query.

BFTP

14. .:[r]:.

.:[r]:. Well-Known Member

I know quite a lot about IPB, too, but this refreshed my memory. Thanks.

15. -John

-John Well-Known Member

nice resource, pretty helpful :)