How To Configure Raid In Windows Vista?

Discussion in 'Gaming' started by //CrazyHorse, May 3, 2008.

1. //CrazyHorse

//CrazyHorse Well-Known Member

title.

I've googled this topic up and down and no one seems to have a straight, no-BS answer on how to do this. I'm installing Vista Ultimate on a brand new desktop (meaning I don't have to worry about backing up data, etc) where I've got 2 150GB SATA drives inside. I want to do a RAID setup and can't for the life of me figure out how to make it work.

Also, any recommendations about whether to go with RAID0 or RAID1? I understand the advantages and disadvantages of both, but I'd like to hear from people who have actually used them.

Hoping one of you technical people has some experience with this... I've never done RAID on a PC, and it's so much easier on a Mac so I'm kinda lost.

2. xlink

xlink GR's Tech Enthusiast

assuming you're using onboard raid...

set it for RAID in BIOS(yes you have to go into BIOS to do this)

insert windows disc
    while isntalling the OS select install drivers.
    install the raid drivers.
    same for XP too.

FYI you loose everything you've done thus far if you go that way, at least with RAID 0. I'm nto entirely sure but I think you cna do RAID1 without wiping the drive though.

as for which to do, what do you value more write speed and capacity or reliability? fi you want to be sure fo your data no matter what go RAID1, if you don't mind a bit if risk and want good performance an d a lot of space, RADI0.