How Do U Install Windows?

Discussion in 'Gaming' started by slacker, Jan 24, 2006.

1. slacker

slacker Well-Known Member

i just got hold of windows XP proffesional and i was wondering whow to install it? i insert the disk and it says reboot ur com with it in the drive, so i did and nothing happens.... please help me.

2. 1337BPM

1337BPM Well-Known Member

I would just re-arrange the boot process to make the CD come first before the HD. Just press F8 at the boot and press over until you see the process list. Take the CD Drive and hit "U" to bring it to the top. Hope I helped.

3. OceanMan

OceanMan Well-Known Member

That can be different for your motherboard. What I would do is at your bootscreen at sometime it will say "Press FX to enter setup" where X is the number of the F key. Then you will get into your BIOS. From there you can select one of the menus. Find the menu that has something in it that says "Boot Sequence". You will then see something such as "C, CDROM, A". Or something along those lines. Depending on how your BIOS works set it so that the boot sequence reads from the CDROM first. So it would look like "CDROM, C, A" (The stuff after CDROM doesn't matter. As long as it is first.) Then you put in your CD. And reboot. It should say Press Any Key to continue and then it will take you through the full setup! Hope that helps.

4. -=DaRKSTaR=-

-=DaRKSTaR=- Senior Member

Here you go I think this will help :)

A tut i made for formatting/Installing windows

Its quite long but bear with me :D

[​IMG]

5. XMasterX

XMasterX Well-Known Member

wow, I remember that one. Nice of you to drop in, Dark

6. Tonic

Tonic Well-Known Member

Wow, this is useful, thanks.

7. Carnival Reject

Carnival Reject Well-Known Member

thanx a great tut good idea

8. Spectre257

Spectre257 Well-Known Member

Remember that the key you have to hit to get into the BIOS varies from manufacture to manufacture, like I have to to hit delete to get into the BIOS.
    Installing windows is rather straight forward just follow the instuctions as they come up ^_^
    Rule of thumb when formating your hard drive, it is best to have a dedicated partition for the OS alone the size you make the partition is up to you just keep in mind that you should leave enough space on the OS partition to provide for drivers and so on, the reason for having at least two partitions is to prevent data loss so if windows crashes and you have to reformat you wont kill you data as you reformat the hard drive instead you only have to reformat the OS drive.

Heres an example of how a layout a hard drive

- C. OS (windows partition) - Size should be at least 10 Gigs
    - D. Programs - size is up to you
    - E. Linux - Optional - size up to you
    - F. Archives - Store all your work - Size is again up to you - but nothing beats backing up you stuff to DVDs, CDs or an external hard drive
    - G. Buffer - store all your isos, and so on - size up to you - I usually make this the largest partition
    - H. Temp - All the temporary junk such as interweb cache - size up to you

Oh BTW reformating the OS partition is to be the last resort, you should always try and re-install Windows before having to resort to a re-format.

Hope this was useful ^_^

9. -=DaRKSTaR=-

-=DaRKSTaR=- Senior Member

hehe ty :D There are some people who appreciated it :D It was my first and quite decent :wub:

Nice HD layout once i get another HD might try that :D

SO far i got 2 partitions on 1 HDrive & 1 partition on my other HD [this one sux coz its old IDE - it was a last resort :( ]