Help With Psu Choice

Discussion in 'Gaming' started by darkshine, Jul 15, 2008.

1. darkshine

darkshine Well-Known Member

Hi, just wondering if this PSU would be good enough for my needs:
    http://www.ebuyer.com/product/124922/show_product_overview

I'm trying to run an Intel Dual Core processor, 8800GT GPU, mid-range mobo, 2gb ram set up and will be looking to OC the CPU. I'm pretty much trying to get the cheapest PSU possible so I can afford the 8800GT (lol) and I keep being recommended to buy this wherever else I ask but just thought i'd get some more expert opinions :P

~ Dark Shine

2. sedative

sedative Member

If you're looking for low-pricies, try the brands Sweex and Trust.

imo you better take a HD 3850 graphics card (same chipset usuability, little less in framerates) and with a more expensive PSU. It's quite important you pick a relatively good brand like X-gear, Zalman or Coolermaster. My mom also thought she could handle it with a cheap PSU, her €160 Gigabyte mainboard was ruined because of the static electricity.

Now I remember, X-gear is quite cheap as well, and they have a good name. (I once bought an X-gear 350W PSU for €20).

Mind you, 500W for your system is quite overkill. Look for 450W PSU's

3. .ZERO

.ZERO Nigga wit a PSD

ew trust ew

if you want reliable power that will last you a long time go for thermaltake toughpowers plus they come with a 5 year warranty which is nice

4. sedative

sedative Member

I said trust and sweex are low-pricies, not that they were reliable. I'm not even buying an external numpad from trust.

And @.ZERO: I think your maddie-signature is spiteful, it shows no respect at all.

5. Leetsauce

Leetsauce Well-Known Member

Not to mention you're not allowed more thn one external link in your signature. Ex. gifts.

Also, i would try and spend more money on the PSU, as you will achieve much more stable results with a moderatly sized mid-range PSU, rather than a cheap psu.