Heath Ledger R.i.p

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Pulse., Jan 22, 2008.

1. Semper-Fi

Semper-Fi Well-Known Member

umm if that was directed towards mee i wasn't putting him down im saying to not b dumb. plain and simple. no arguments there.

2. [-PE-] Ghost

[-PE-] Ghost Well-Known Member

Agreed but, we all make mistakes, some bigger than others.

3. Broken

Broken Well-Known Member

End of the day.
    It's not good when someone dies, ever.
    Ok maybe a couple of exceptions.

The fact it was suicide is putting me on a edgier state with it, because I can't feel remorse for someone who commits suicide...

Just can't.

However, liked him as a Actor.

4. [-PE-] Ghost

Idk if it was on purpose, I know he was in a bad state of mind but it was sleeping pills, if he wanted to die I'm sure he would use something else.

5. suprneb

suprneb Well-Known Member

the dark knight is going to be even more epic for me now :(

6. dementia

dementia Well-Known Member

The fact remains in my statement I have seen kids die in my own eyes from things they could not prevent and not because of their personal faults and not a single person here would bother to help fight against the causes of their deaths, or even remotely shed a tear unless some public broadcast was made. I hold a lot of personal value to them because I have personal experience with them, and in their world, the difference is so minimal between them for everyones death its like it was someone I spoke with just the day before. Also, the term directly related is not directly proportional to being of family relation, it means of or being within a close relationship, and after my experiences first hand with seeing people die of malnutrition when they fight harder than anyone I have ever met to live, that shows something. This asshole took his life for granted and committed suicide, undoubtedly the single most selfish act one can conceive of.

You guys wouldn't care unless the media stated it. You wouldn't know about it, and you likely wouldn't share your feelings unless it was what everyone else was doing, and you all know that as well.

As far as the people living in a modern society, to think we don't live in an EXTREMELY narcissistic society is naive. He died of drug overdose. He, whether directly, or not, killed himself due to his personal choice. I am sure that if he was a drug user (which he was) that he would have the common sense (as most people do) to realize mass amount of substances placed inside a human body will result in death, even with things such as water its capable to die of absorbing too much.

7. [-PE-] Ghost

Right, and you're the only one ever to care about less fortunate people, you are the shining hope of the people...puhlease. Yeah, it's unfortunate, the reason we don't all make topics and posts all day because they have been dying like that for so long, they aren't expected to live that long.

8. bluefalcon_ad

bluefalcon_ad Well-Known Member

I respect Dementia's opinion. The only problem I have is the intertwining with mixed up facts. Not even the NYPD said it was suicide. It wasn't. Like I said in the other thread, every single body is different, etc. etc. (I'm not typing the entire thing up twice, sorry)

Thing that's getting thrown around is that everyone's saying it's suicide. He had no reason to commit suicide. There was no suicide note around, or anything related to suicide.

All I wish is that people will get the story right. Argue all you want on the value of death. It's fine, we all hold our personal values towards death in a different fashion. My only wish is that you do so knowing the real happenings of Ledger's death. The only reason I'm trying to straighten up the story here is because, well, a lot of you are using this death as a backbone to throw out a rant about suicide.

He was simply, an actor doing his job (without the OTC drug for staying awake). I honestly can't say anymore than that. People do die every day, it's true, yes, I personally can't run around giving condolences to everyone. I've suffered with death myself on numerous occasions. It happens.

I'm sure it's more likely that we wouldn't have found out about it being that he wasn't in a bunch of movies to begin with, though. Just saying.

9. dementia

As I said, indirectly he committed suicide. He placed unknown substances within his own body knowing the risk, and that has been proven. I never stated he directly overdosed for the purpose of killing himself, just that he committed suicide, which can be said for most people. If you put unhealthy objects into your body willingly, your voluntarily killing your body.

10. Nasuul

Nasuul Well-Known Member

I think your position on suicide is wrong.

I dont beleive a person SHOULD commit suicide, but at the same time, i can understand the feeling.

Death is nothing new. And to be honest hes just another ------ed up corpse in my opinion. But i respected his acting, which means i owe him at least a RIP.

No one knows when, where or how we are going to die. Who the ------ are you to critiscise someone for having the balls to decide when their time is over?

11. dementia

As a psychology major I could answer that question pretty deeply, with enough backing up my claims and reasoning behind why I am indeed capable of criticizing people for it, as well as from personal experience both with attempted suicide and friends / family committing suicide, but I don't feel that type of response would be quite goal oriented in this topic.

12. aznramenboi

aznramenboi Well-Known Member

You cannot indirectly commit suicide. That in itself would be contradiction in terms. The fact that we wouldn't care unless the media stated it is correct. How are we supposed to have feelings for something when we are not made aware of it. Yes, the majority, of society may be extremely narcissistic, but you can't say that everyone is. However, I don't think having sympathy for someone we don't know can be categorized as being narcissistic. I can't have sympathy for a homeless person on the streets without being selfish?

Okay, maybe there are better things that could use our sympathy but saying anyone who feels sorry for him is only looking for attention is quite ridiculous, in my opinion, that is.

13. .Bao

.Bao Well-Known Member

He was a good young actor in his prime...and then this happens.

It just goes to show that stuff happens and life isn't fair. :\

14. pianoman0723

pianoman0723 Well-Known Member

I may not be a precocious psychology major, but I don't think you can call self-destruction and suicide the same thing. He was openly on sleeping pills since filming the Dylan movie. Now, I'm pretty sure that taking sleeping pills to get some rest and purposely overdosing on painkillers to end your life are different. He just made a mistake. A big one, admittedly, but a mistake nonetheless. I do understand that you've built yourself a barricade of syntax with that last post, but I will say this: the man was trying to get some sleep. He was looking for the best way to help his body. Unfortunately, he picked the wrong option...

Oh. Quick question. When you went to Bangladesh, what did you do when you saw the dying children? Take them to the nonexistent local hospital? My point with that issue is that we can say "Oh. That's sad", but that doesn't get anything done. That's an issue. It's not just a dead kid.

Also, don't accuse all of us of moral impropriety just because we aren't as Victorian as you. That's just annoying.

15. .Bao

.Bao Well-Known Member

I don't think this thread was meant to debate how Heath Ledger died. That isn't our job, which doesn't mean we can't discuss it, but at least respect the fact that there is no solid fact yet knowing whether he intentionally killed himself, or accidentally overdosed.

Until then, let's let the professionals figure that one out, and just leave it at that I say.