Harry Potter

Discussion in 'Movies' started by Gaspo, Apr 16, 2009.

1. Gaspo

Gaspo Member

I cant wait for teh new harry potter to come out.

who else cant?

do you even like harry potter?

2. FreshWaterHippo

FreshWaterHippo Well-Known Member

For some reason i really do like them but some peopel really really dont like Harry Potter at all

I saw the new trailer today pretty sweet likes

The books are awesome too!

3. Broken

Broken Well-Known Member

Films, got bored after Prisoner of Azkaban. Watched Goblet of Fire, haven't seen Order of the Phoenix.

Books are over-rated, JK's not even a very good writer, she's just been a bit lucky, re-hashed the same format that's been used for years and years now and appealed to a wider range, primarily by dumbing down the books or just knowing how to play people. She's good at creating characters, not much else.

It was all blown out of proportion from the start, JK's wealth shows that at least.

4. Mxsuperfly

Mxsuperfly Senior Member

I like the books, but as always, movies aren't like the books. I'll probably see the movie when it comes out on DVD, which will be a long time. Maybe if I am bored, I'll see it when it comes out.

5. Mortified Penguin

Mortified Penguin Senior Member

I like the movies but that's about it. The books are good if you have absolutely nothing to do...

6. dementia

dementia Well-Known Member

'She's good at creating characters, not much else.'

You are aware that the personalities of a storyline are basically the entire structure of how the book plays out, correct? Characters add perspective, definition, adventures, trains of thought, etc. that everything else fails to provide. Saying she's 'just' good at creating characters is completely downplaying her abilities as a writer. That is like saying a carpenter 'only' is good at fashioning wood, or that an auto mechanic is 'only' good at repairing motors. i can't imagine a book without solid characters to guide the book. Surroundings are based around the characters and their mindset and how they do things, especially in the world of fantasy fiction, which Harry Potter is a major culprit of.

Also, she had a way of creating new things easy to understand but with eye catching names, like most of the candies, or the names of some of the mythological beasts, or interesting things about how characters did certain things. She also attached some pretty unique names to spells if you look back into latin aged texts, which is where a large portion of her spell names came from.

She didn't use the typical medieval hero saves the day during the dark ages type thing. She took a modern world that most people can relate to, added some minor amounts of magic to it (realistically, how many casts did you even see in the entire series?), added likable characters, and threw in a fairly non-standard antagonist, most of that revolves around character design. So, once again, stating a writer is 'just' good at character design is like telling a mechanic hes 'only' good at fixing motors.

7. dinges

dinges Senior Member

I like them, movies and books, read/watched them all way too many times
    can't wait for the new movie

8. kovan

kovan Senior Member

I've never read an harry potter book, but I've watched every movie till now .. can't wait for the new one to come out

9. dinges

dinges Senior Member

kovan, you damn stereotype
    go read the books :P

10. ebolagod

ebolagod Well-Known Member

Hopefully the movie will be good... all the little actors have had time to learn how to actually act by now :P

11. scarletham

scarletham Well-Known Member

Although yes, she is not an astounding writer who hides all sort of enigmas and metaphors in the text, she writes well for her audience by using an everyday kid who gets taken into an extraordinary scenario.

12. ebolagod

ebolagod Well-Known Member

To be honest what she did was quite basic... it's how she carried it out that made it worthwhile.

13. time4death2day

time4death2day Active Member

iv read the books watch the movies and for u who dont know dumbledore dies in this one o_O

he just knew too much

14. Itwasurmom

Itwasurmom Member

God yeah... I loved all of the books. I plan on going to the midnights to see this one too(midnights are awesome, you see some crazy people)

15. Broken

Broken Well-Known Member

Character's do not add adventures, or definition (aside from of course, the definition of the character's). You can have well developed characters among poor settings and scenario's, in JK's case both are unimaginative. Her knack for naming things is about the only original aspect of the book. She did nothing that hasn't been done before.

Typical Medi------ Hero isn't even relevant, there's a lot of books that do the same thing, she hardly invented the concept of "Magic in a modern setting", it'd been done for years. Don't see how that's relevant to character design either. JK makes a handful of characters that children particularly fell in love with, it doesn't make her a good writer, it makes her a good judge of human psychology.