Half Height Graphics Cards

Discussion in 'Gaming' started by aznsushiguy, Dec 16, 2007.

1. aznsushiguy

aznsushiguy Well-Known Member

So yea, got my Dell Dimension 4600c I dunno how many years ago, but it was back when I didn't know anything about computers and didn't care. Anyways, since it's compact, it can only hold a half-height/low-profile graphics card or w/e. What are some good ones that are under $100? I googled it and just clicked the first one which was the XFX nVidia, GeForce 6200 256MB. Any good for it's price? Are there better ones? I have no idea what the heck AGP or PCI means, but it says it works with the 4600c. Just looking for other options.
    Also, what does it mean when it says "Provides best-of-class TV-out functionality for resolutions up to 1024x768." does that mean I have to run my games at 1024 x 768 for it to work? What if I have a different resolution for my desktop, but use 1024 x 768 for games?

Thanks.

2. inverse

inverse Banned from GR

Uh, so much explaining to do.

What graphics card do you currently have? The 6200 may not be a huge increase in performance.

3. xlink

xlink GR's Tech Enthusiast

I'll leave you at this, the 6200s suck and while vastly better than typical onboard solutions, still aren't too good.

I want to say look into getting an x1550

I'd really need to know what you have though.
    read the pinned threads

4. aznsushiguy

aznsushiguy Well-Known Member

haha, sorry, I really have no idea about graphics cards at all.

I'm pretty sure I just have the integrated graphics card or whatever (I forgot how to look) but nothing's been done to the computer, and that's what I remember my parents selecting, so it's pretty much garbage.

If it helps, the game I'm primarily trying to run smoother is Age of Empires 3. I already turned down all the settings to low, but I still want better performance...