Graphic Designing As A Job

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Goku, Jun 22, 2009.

1. Goku

Goku Well-Known Member

I know most of the people here design graphics simply as a hobby, but I'm sure there's a couple people who make a living out of it. I can't find much information searching on the topic. So, for the people that make a living out of this, could I ask about your degree level, salary and years of work experience?

2. inverse

inverse Banned from GR

Can't find much information?!

http://www.freelanceswitch.com/
    http://www.gomediazine.com/
    http://www.abduzeedo.com
    http://www.smashingmagazine.com

I'd also recommend you take a look at http://gomedia.us/forum/. I'm the administrator there, and almost every member is either a working pr.ofessional, or studying at university.

Right now I'm studying for my Bachelor of Arts in Graphic Design, but I also freelance. My going rate is $125NZ per hour, but I also offer set prices for things such as web design and logo design, and then my going rate takes over for any work I do beyond what's part of the design package. Since I'm only doing it part-time, I can't take on large projects, but I make decent enough money doing what I'm doing.

3. .ZERO

.ZERO Nigga wit a PSD

better off becoming a printer than a GD.

4. Zohair

Zohair Formerly zohBOT

I've always wanted to study and get a degree in Graphic Designing but due to lack of colleges and financial problems I wasn't able to accomplish what I desired. But I am glad that at least I could learn to design on my own to a good level. Today, when I look back at the work I used to do, a warm feeling rises inside me and I feel proud of myself.

I'm happy that some of you have been blessed with everything that you have today, that includes but is not limited to - Education -. I hope that I will also find myself in a position to achieve what I've always wanted to; Get a degree in graphic designing and take it up as a ---.fession.

5. inverse

inverse Banned from GR

3rd world much?

6. JaeTM

JaeTM Senior Member

Pretty sure GD don't make that much money. Probably around 60-70kish. Google it dude.

If you really want to do something with GD, maybe a school teacher that teaches GD?

7. inverse

inverse Banned from GR

Graphic designers typically aren't rich. You'll make a good living if you're good at what you do, but most aren't rich. If you get into the corporate side of things, then there is substantial money involved, but that's a really lucrative part of the industry, so you need to be the best of the best.

8. Zohair

Zohair Formerly zohBOT

Like working in Hollywood eh? Sorry I was being emotional last night.. lol.. I am already earning 2,000+ USD a month working as an executive of local Mall Management.

9. edielflaco

edielflaco Well-Known Member

I made some money drawing some album covers and my Photoshop skills are pretty basic.
    You just need to get the word out and they'll come.

10. dementia

dementia Well-Known Member

Talk about shit pay for a manager, I made more being entry level tech support for internet service lol

Regarding graphic design, I only do web templates, ads, and the occasional banner/logo, my average rate is ~50-80/hr (depends if they need it coded, my friend codes for $20-30/hr, also depends on the style, the above price is for a generic non-flash web page with nothing catchy - ie no vibrant neon colors and majorly artistic designs). Sometimes I agree to do a design not based on an hourly rate, just on a static price if there isn't a major deadline and the person has a good idea of what they want, they just don't have the ability to put it in motion. I usually ask for a minimum of 4 hours pay up front to start. If the design is finished in less than 4 hours, so be it, they are happy and the design is done, I keep my money (painters, construction workers, sprayers, etc. all operate the same way). If it goes over that point in time it becomes the hourly rate, with 15 minutes into an hour becoming a full hour (no mix ups this way).

I've never taken an art class (whether it be pottery, drawing, media design, etc.) - so degree is out of the question, I taught myself through practice.

Average yearly income depends, I prefer having a real job (I'm a freelance designer), and use my web designs to supplement my income. If I were to do *nothing* but web design, and put in solid 40+ hour long weeks and be booked the whole year I could push over $100,000, but I usually break around 20-40k based on how much I do throughout the year (just on web design, not including whatever job I'm working at the time).

11. Bassie_94

Bassie_94 Well-Known Member

Just ontopic: it would be cool to be a graphics designer, but on the other side, i dont want to sit behind my computer all the day long.

12. Zohair

Zohair Formerly zohBOT

I know, America IS different, the rest of the world IS different. Where I live, I think it's enough because I can afford to buy an Infinity FX35 2008 model (on bank finance) and get myself a nice studio apartment on the skyline of the city without having to pay a ---- load of VAT. I find that a lot better than making 3000$+ a month and then paying tax on anything and everything. That said, I live a wonderful life with all the luxury I want, I can own 2 cars and even afford the expense and no one would even question. BTW I said 2,000+ which means that I do not make a constant 2000$ a month, it means that I sometimes get paid around 4,000$ which is round about 3 times an year with a 3,500$ bonus at the end of every year.

Though I would rather love being a Graphic Designer/Game Tester/Game Designer/Programmer.. Something related to computers because then it would be something that I love to do personally.

Oh and I'm not a manager, I may have made a mistake saying that up there, I work with a local Mall Management as a CSO (Customer Services Officer).

13. justincase

justincase Well-Known Member

Holy.
    How much work do you do and about how long do you work on each piece?
    0____o

14. inverse

inverse Banned from GR

I work my ass off. Unfortunately, since I'm freelancing, a significant portion of my daily workload is off the clock. I also have University work to do, so I normally am lucky to make $200-$300 a week (NZ dollars btw) average, and normally it's in bursts. During peak Uni work times (the 1-2 months at the end of each semester), I don't do any work. Sometimes I'm lucky enough to find someone with a large project or two for over the summer. As it is, I've been managing all my university fees and costs purely with the money I make over the summer (normally $4k-$5k).

When I finish university in a few years, I'm hoping to hit the $100k (NZ) per year mark. As far as it goes, though, I'm way ahead of the curve as far as first year design students go. I have made so many ----- connections over the last few years, I find it relatively easy to find intermittant work.

15. justincase

justincase Well-Known Member

Ahh, very very nice. I'm sure you'll find that $100k job :P