Good Video Card?

Discussion in 'Gaming' started by Joe, Dec 30, 2007.

1. Joe

Joe Well-Known Member

I'm looking for a new video card & was wondering if this one was good? http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/Se...p;Sku=P450-8642. The only game I really play is Counter-Strike 1.6 & CZ. I also want it because my current video card doesn't have a DVI input and I heard that makes a pretty noticable difference with that instead of VGA. Good video card or no?

2. xlink

xlink GR's Tech Enthusiast

for the money it's not the best of cards

also for 1.6 and Cz you could get by with a rather cheap card to be honest.

3. logic L

logic L Member

4. Joe

Joe Well-Known Member

Well yeah I could get by with what I have now but I want better and I do plan on playing other games once I find something I like. But if that's not one of the better ones for the price, mind showing me better ones for around that price range?

5. cosine

cosine Well-Known Member

The one you want from TD would be fine for CS. CS doesn't require the greatest graphics card. I use a Geforce 7600 and CS 1.6 and CS:S work fine for me!

6. xlink

currently nVidia is on the 8 series

8 series
    7 series
    6 series
    FX5 series
    4series
    3series
    etc.

the FX5500 was considered an underperforming card when it was new. 3 generations of graphics cards later... it's still mediorce and at that price point, you can find cards which are around 5 times as powerful and offer better image quality.

x1950pro is overall the best card in the range(asside from the fact that it uses a fair bit of electricity and as such dissipates a bit of heat)
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx...N82E16814241038 (256mb usually close in performance though)
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx...N82E16814131055 (512mb usually close in performance but has edge in games with higher resolution textures)

overall 2nd best is 7900GS but the prices on those have gone up since they went EoA.

3rd best choice is the 8600GTS, which you have. It uses less power than the x1950 if that's a concern and it has a free game to boot.

7. Joe

Joe Well-Known Member

In that second link you gave me it comes with that HDTV to s-video, so does that mean I could watch TV on my computer?

8. xlink

you can...

but svideo si a horrible horrible horrible excuse for an interface.

just buy a DVI to HDMI covnerter, they're cheap, or atleast they should be considering how simple they'de be.