Gg Nvidia...

Discussion in 'Gaming' started by RedNara, Mar 3, 2009.

1. RedNara

RedNara Well-Known Member

Okay Nvidia officially lost in the mobile graphics wars. They just announced the M Radeon HD 4860 and the 4830 which are both 40nm. First off Nvidia has no 40nm cards to offer and these two cards will be mainstream and will not only out preform any Nvidia cards but will also use a lot less energy and stay cool. :)

Also here is some more good needs. The HD 4860 will be a 128bit card; however, it will be running on a GDDR5 which will actually top the HD 4850 and the 9800m GT which are both 256bit.

This is just amazing because with the 128bit with 40nm will use a lot less heat than the HD 4850 and the 9800m GT and will be a lot cheaper and preform better! Also the best part is that the 4860 will be in 15" laptop which are the best size for carrying around. Seriously you can't even put a 17" laptop in a backpack.

-1 Nvidia
    +1 ATI
    :)

source
    http://www.engadget.com/2009/03/03/amds-ne...chew-pixels-wi/

2. scarletham

scarletham Well-Known Member

And the Nvidia fans bow their heads.

Thankfully, Nvidia still kicks ass for desktop cards ;)

3. inverse

inverse Banned from GR

Oh yeah, because there's no way that nvidia could ever come back from ATi having superior cards for a few months...

Srsly. Have you considered the fact that one side will always pull an advantage at some point. Give it six months and there won't even be a difference in sales.

Also, I read the link you posted, and it says absolutely nothing about performance, price, or whether or not the 40nm chips will even actually reduce heat and power consumption. It looks like you're just jumping on the first bit of tech news you understand.

Considering nVidia had the entire high end market under their thumb for about a year and a half before AMD released the 38** range, I'm not at all worried for nVidia.

Until I see benchmarks, reviews, anything that says more than that these cards are coming out, then maybe I'll be interested.

Stop making up bullsh*t speculation.

4. BetaMerc

BetaMerc Well-Known Member

Walk in the Street, go to the sewer, go down, to t
    You mean Nvidia 0 Ati 2

I still like Nvidia. :P

5. RedNara

Chill mate... Specs are already out... Look them up yourself. Also 40nm in general will reduce the heat by a considerable amount. This is just true across the board for any kinds of hardware. Not only that the 4850 already beats the 9800m GT in benchmark and the 4860 is suppose to out preform the 4850. And when I say it will dominate I'm talking about mainstream, as in a laptop which normal people will buy. Seriously I'm spending 3g on some Clevo laptop or anything of that sort. Also with Nvidia not having any 40nm models out there I would say ATi has an advantage in the mainstream market.

6. scarletham

Understand that in terms of laptops, all the big name companies will more likely get the card that is most available at the moment for their high performance ranges. So at the moment, ATI has 'won'. Yes, Nvidia can bounce back. However, ATI has it for the moment.

7. inverse

inverse Banned from GR

Specs dont always work out to be in line with real world performance. I mean, honestly what is the point in high bandwidth GDDR5 if you restrict it with a 128bit bus? Making any claims saying "omfg ati bought out some nice cards. nvidia is DOOOOOOOOOOOOMED" is just plain stupid. nvidia and ati have both had big leads over each other at different times, just like AMD and Intel. Doesn't mean we should speculate about how amazing their newest products are. When Intel released Conroe everyone was saying about how AMD is going to be wiped out to the point where they no longer have a place in the high end consumer market, but now PhenomII is offering performance/dollar to match Intels offerings.

Also, the mobile consumer market accounts for a relatively small part of the industry. successes here are somewhat irrelevent considering the competitive nature of the current desktop and commericial markets.

8. scarletham

True :)

The point I see being driven home here is that this doesn't spell the end for Nvidia, just something to celebrate about for ------y ATI fans ;O

9. RedNara

I personally don't think you understand GDDR5.

GDDR3 effective = 2x Memory clock
    GDDR5 effective = 4x Memory clock

256-bit HD 4850 GDDR3 @ 993 MHz = 1986 MHz effective (Desktop card)
    256-bit HD 4870 GDDR5 @ 900 MHz = 3600 MHz effective (Desktop card)

That means that you can do 2 things with GDDR5:

-Get twice the memory bandwidth on the same bus (Performance cards go this route, and it's cheaper - See HD 4870)
    -Get the same memory bandwidth on half the bus (High end / Mid-range / low end - see RV740 for mid-range, and HD 4870 for high end, manufacturing costs are much much less)

Also you are right. Nvidia did announce new cards like GTX 280M which are is better than the M HD 4870; however, the 40nm HD 4860 will consume a lot less power thus generating less heat, and will probably be just an amazing card all around. Not only that 40nm is pretty darn amazing by itself.

Specs don't always work out as you say; however, if you have not noticed Nvidias mobility cards are not even close to its desktop counterpart. In the other hand ATi's cards are a much closer representation.

Finally I'm going to stop replying to you're comments because its just pointless and you took my comment about "gg" way out of perspective. I obviously don't mean that Nvidia is going to get thrown out of the laptop GPU market. I mean that it seems pretty obvious that ATi will has an edge on his years market. And this is big considering the fact Nvidia pretty much owns the whole freaking market. Not only that its good for the consumers who are educated. I would admit one down side, ATi needs better driver support. However, I'm sure someone will make a better driver than ATi just like how there is one for Nvidia.

Edit: To clarify things I'm not an ATi fan. I'm just someone who likes a better deal and not spend 2g on my laptop. And this announcement was just big for me because it shows that I will more likely get a laptop this summer for a cheaper price.

10. Escoda

Escoda Well-Known Member

Nvidia will hopefully stay on the top of desktop cards for quite a while. ^^

Six months? Could probably give it a bit less. ;]

Last part is pretty hateful.. Nvidia had the entire high end market under their thumb, and now they get competition so they will have it again sometime soon..

11. inverse

inverse Banned from GR

Wait... what?

I'm not trying to be hateful, it's simply that this is the same type of hype that so much of the consumer grade stuff is getting.

IMO, one of the main reason the pressure is on video card developers to release so many seemingly similar releases in such a short time is the fact that people are so easily drawn in to all this marketing. Sure, it's good to keep an eye open if you're in the market for a new PC, but I still think that we're seeing way too much activity, and far too little progression. The competition is good in the fact it pushes prices down, but it's very tiring to try and keep up with it all. My 1 year old 8800GT still performs perfectly fine in every game I've thrown at it (even at 1920x1200 resolution), despite the fact nvidia has since released the 9800GT, 9800GTX, 9800GTX+, 9800GX2, GTX260, GTX265, GTX280, GTX285, and the GTX295, not to mention they've been pushing TriSLi.