Getting A New Computer.

Discussion in 'Gaming' started by Jynx_, Aug 29, 2008.

1. Jynx_

Jynx_ Banned from GR

So I've got about €1000\£800\$1500 (sucks2b american) to spend on a new computer. Mostly for gaming.

Whut do I get?

2. White B O I

White B O I Well-Known Member

Haha Why does it suck to be American?
    Although, playing COD4 online has proven to me that the English hates us :D
    besides the fact,

Hows this for starters?

A nice little mobo for ya :D
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx...N82E16813188028

edit:

okay, since you have about $1500 (american) you might want to price that mobo down,
    but i suggest this Corsair XMS Ram, they have heatsinks on the sticks themselves and are SLI supported
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx...N82E16820145209

And i assume you'd want something with SLI since you will be using it for gaming, so this is a nice little card, but it requires a full sized ATX case
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx...N82E16814143142

You'd need something around 750w or more to power all this though,

but good luck,

I suggest not making a decision until XLINK answers, he's good at this stuff :D

3. xlink

xlink GR's Tech Enthusiast

DIY

think e7200
    p45 board
    4GB RAM
    vista x64

FYI doesn't suck to be american, out computer prices are roughly 2/3rds to a HALF here compared to europe.
    so it's more like €1000\£800\$1000

SLI is equivilent to aids. nVidia based motherboards are somewhat unstable, especially with 4GB RAM and they don't clock so well unless they have abnormally loose strap settings, but that kinda hurts performance. Then there is the SATA data corruption deal...

besides nVidia is loosing now. two 4850s kill a single GTX 280 and cost $50-100 less. a 4870 beats a GTX 260 and a 4870x2 gives SLI GTX280 a run for it's money... and when driver improve 4870x2 CF will give 3way SLI GTX280 a good competition as well..

nvidia more or less can't compete and when they're saying that they're "aiming to be competative" next financial quarter... in a stock holders meeting... well that normally means you ------ed up. And they did.RV770 is less than HALF the size of GT200. I've heard people estimate that AMD is getting around 10 times the yields of nvidia(so it costs about 1/10th as much to get the chip that goes in a 4870 than in a GTX 280) on their highend chips. then factor in the simple fact that AMD is pricing aggressively. As it stands nvidia is selling their chips at more or less break even pricing and AMD is making a HUGE profit and are selling more cards and they're doing this at a lower price since they have the more effective design.

RV770 is only around 10% slower than GT200. TWO RV770s are A LOT FASTER and CHEAPER. and 4... once drivers get some work well nVidia is fubar.
    I can't recomend anything nvidia has outside of the 8800GS and the 8800GT(both of which are great bang/$)

4. Jynx_

Jynx_ Banned from GR

Bear in mind, I have NO idea what any of this techno garble is about.

At all.

I'm a noob when it comes to actual computer hardware.

5. White B O I

White B O I Well-Known Member

and this is why i said wait for you :D

last time i looked into this stuff was about 7 months ago, I'm not up to date :D

6. WWIII

WWIII Well-Known Member

With $1,500 you can get just about as high end as it gets for your needs...

4GB of high end ram (DDR3, Corsair has some really nice stuff)
    C2D would probably be best, but a Quad Core could be an option.
    Video card is probably ATI at the moment with their 4000 series as it is cheaper and has about the same power as the GTX 260 (I have the 260, I flippin love it) a 280 is too much for so little in return.
    Make sure you get a good power supply, probably at least 750 for future upgrades and no worries about use.
    Software you can DL for free (i.e. OS) But you are going to want vista, and it will have to be x64... [Windows 7 is nice, but you can't have that ;)]

But you can get basically anything you want and have an absolutely amazing PC.

7. Jynx_

Jynx_ Banned from GR

Sure, we've to take delivery costs into this as well.
    Delivery from USA to Ireland is WAY to expensive.
    I was looking atttt This.
    Pros\Cons?