Gesalt Theory

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Sun_Fire, Aug 6, 2005.

1. Sun_Fire

Sun_Fire Senior Member

Ok here was a topic from another forum, I decided to quote and show you guys
    ----

</div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE ("aperson")</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'>Theory behind motion and focus in design:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gestalt_psychology

Breaking things into blocks of motion, or gestalts, is an easy way to create a fluid point of focus and cohesion in graphics. Basically gestalt theory discusses ways to imply direction and force in pieces due to shape, color, weight, and tonal balance.

You see where this is going? Learning gestalt theory will get rid of this '3d blob crap' and actually lead to art with focus and power. If you want a prime example of a piece that consciously uses concepts of Gestalt theory, look at my transit subystem. Notice how the flow and all of the leading lines point to the text at the bottom giving the piece a strong focal point.

I'll break down one of my pieces to explain this concept

[​IMG]

Firstly, the point of focus is at 7. Everything in this piece leads to that point.

1&2: The arrow gives the piece an immediate downward motion. To compliment this with color balance, the gradiation marked by 2 pulls the viewers eyes down.

Similarly, in 4, the vertical pixel stretch implies a vertical flow and brings the readers eyes from the top down. At the very top of the image the piece is already singularly focusing on bringing the viewer's eyes down to the bottom part.

3 is the main leading connection from the top to the bottom. The color contrast (red to green) provides a strong visual cue, and the direct crossover from top to bottom makes it stand out very well in this piece. This is why I chose it to be the piece that points to the main point of focus. Notice how the connecting block, 6, points directly to the main text.

5 is the piece that unifies the piece in the middle from the left hand side. We can consider the top broken into two parts: On the left you have the gradiation bringing the eyes down, and on the right you have the red line and the darker images bringing them down. So, since the right is unified by 3 and 6, the left is unified by 5. 5, like 6, uses the colors and the diagonal direction of the lines as pointers to lead the eyes towards the middle.

See folks, everything in this piece is working to bring you to the point of focus. Things are not all over the place, they have purpose. That's why this piece is aesthetically pleasing, it has a strong since of motion that pulls the eyes to one place.[/b][/quote]

2. Ice Cube

Ice Cube Well-Known Member

Ain't bothered to read it so I have no idea what you are on about. ;)

3. Bona Fide

Bona Fide Well-Known Member

Trippy. It's like trying to manipulate people's minds with your artwork. :blink:

4. Ice Cube

Ice Cube Well-Known Member

So bascially subliminal messages or something of that concept. ;)

5. Sun_Fire

Sun_Fire Senior Member

yes, but not like trying to get people to go kill their parents or anything like that