George Best

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by stupidjawa, Nov 26, 2005.

1. stupidjawa

stupidjawa Well-Known Member

Born on 22nd May 1946 , George Best grew up on the Cregagh estate and played football for Cregagh Boys Club. After joining United as an amateur in 1961, George made his professional debut for the club as a 17 year old against West Bromwich Albion in September 1963. He was a vital member of the Manchester United side that won the league championship in 1965 and 1967, and the European Cup in 1968, when he was voted both English and European Footballer of the Year. He also famously scored 6 goals in an FA Cup fifth-round tie against Northampton.

Best won the first of his 37 international caps in 1964 against Wales. Later that year he scored his first goal for Northern Ireland in a 1-2 away defeat to Switzerland and in 1967 he played what many believed to be his finest game for Northern Ireland in a 1-0 win against Scotland.

Sometimes nicknamed "the fifth Beatle", George was the first pop-star footballer, receiving thousands of fan letters a week and regularly finding himself the focus of intense media attention. As his rock 'n' roll lifestyle began to take its toll, his football career deteriorated during the 1970s. He announced his retirement in 1972, but returned to football the following year, playing for numerous clubs until he finally hung up his boots in 1983.

He passed away due to multipul organ failure around noon time (GMT) on the 25th of November. He was truely a great and shall be missed by all football fans, and not just Manchester United supporters.

R.I.P George

2. -Loki-

-Loki- Well-Known Member

R.I.P. George :(

3. kirbir

kirbir Senior Member

Its been posted somewhere on here, further down i think hun. :)

r.i.p again

4. .Nirvana

.Nirvana Well-Known Member

Yeah its been posted before but w/e its still a big lost he was an awesome footballer..R.I.P George :(

5. stupidjawa

stupidjawa Well-Known Member

i am sorry if it has been posted before...but i looked and did not see...so i posted it...and regardless...it is a major loss to football

R.I.P George

6. KingLeoric

KingLeoric Well-Known Member

i didnt really get to know him but

RIP Goerge.

7. Vyshus

Vyshus Well-Known Member

if you followed the sport youd know...R.I.P.

8. Prodigy

Prodigy Well-Known Member

who is this? im sorry i dont know how to read big paragraphs B)

9. pengu1ns

pengu1ns Well-Known Member

It is shame his life after football turned out the way it did, although no one can say his life in football wasnt inspiring.
    R.I.P