Fried +4400 = Q6600 Goodness! :)

Discussion in 'Gaming' started by evermotion, Sep 14, 2007.

1. evermotion

evermotion Well-Known Member

So, I've been oc'ing my watercooled +4400 for awhile now, unfortunately the pump in my loop started to leek. And in the process of removing the wc loop I somehow fried my +4400 and Mobo. Leaving me on the market for a cpu and mobo, along with a quite cooling solution....

I currently have this case...
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx...N82E16811165016

With a 7950GT CO Superclocked and 2 sticks of Corsair LED Memory

New parts?

Q6600 Seems like the way to go, for roughly 269.99
    This combo?
    http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/Se...MBM-680I-Q6600A

Possibly this external loop?
    Exos 2...
    http://www.xoxide.com/koolance-exos-2-black.html

Gamerenders members have been informative before, so I look forward to you suggestions and opinions.

2. xlink

xlink GR's Tech Enthusiast

I've always heard that coolance was overrated, but I'm not the best of WC experts and that IS external.

heard good things about a "waterkeg III" though. Have fun though, I want a quad and it looks like 680i is a decent platform for it, though x38 is out on the 24th if that's something you want to consider.

3. dylan5102

dylan5102 Senior Member

I wouldn't take the mobo If I were you its hard to find compatible ram, look at the forums of EVGA to see if you have compatible ram ;)

4. evermotion

What exactly is x38? I've heard the term a few times recently...

5. xlink

intel's next generation chipset.

from my understanding it's 975X performance/clock but 965s scaling.
    if that makes any sense to you. should support crossfire and it has rumoured official SLI support. with anyluck we'll also have cracked GeForce 8 SLI drivers by then too.

680 isn't a bad chipset either though. Admittedly nVidia's always had better southbridges(as far as harrdrive controllers go, their PCI/PCI-e is poor. in that regard you get better SLI performance on intel chipsets but that's negligible and remember that when it comes to stuff like this "suck" is being 2% slower) than the competition, though up until now their northbridges sucked.

6. xX ParaDox

xX ParaDox Well-Known Member

imho try to get the g0 version of the q6600 it overclocks a lot better, tankguys has it and its only 10 bucks more for a garuenteed one, that case looks pretty big and you could get a mostly internal wc system, just mount the radatior on a rad box.

What I would go with
    D-TEK FuZion Universal CPU Waterblock - 1/2"
    D-Tek FuZion Accelerator Nozzle Kit
    Thermochill 120.3
    Laing D5 Pump
    1/2 Tygon Tubing
    Swiftech Res or EK
    Swiftech Radbox

Im guessing it would be around $350 ish

7. xlink

I think he's talking about a second loop, it sounds liek he's WC like everything and is worried about the q6600s heatdump.

from my understanding it's not THAT much hungrier than the 4400 FYI 120W TDP vs. 89W TDP

8. xX ParaDox

i think the 120.3 can handle a q6600 and a 8800 gtx, but if he wants to go dual loops, id get dual 120.2's

9. evermotion

I have an internal 1/2in custom loop in right now. Black Ice III mounted to 3 120mm holes drilled in the top of the case. It's just somewhat inconvenient.... And for the performance drop from the exos 2 to a custom loop wouldn't be that much.

edit: atleast i don't think to much?

10. xlink

if you're really worried about performance, just buy a scythe kama bay add it to the front with a PA120.1 and add in another pump say something with a good flow(and OK head pressure) rate since you would have sufficient headpressure given that you already have a pump.

just a thought... IMO it would eb ebtter/cheaper since you'de have really high flow rate/head and the heat diference between a OCed4400 and a OCed q6600 would likely be disapatable by a single 120mm rad.

just something to consider

11. xX ParaDox

Meh that radiator isnt very good, i think the swiftech 320mcp beats that and its really cheap, the 120.3 is wayy better [best radiator out on the market] . Also koolance uses aluminum in thier watercooling loop with copper and eventually cause corrasion if the plating comes off. A quote from xtremesystems "the pa102.3 is a monster truck and the black ice is a toy car in terms of preformance"

12. xlink

actually that rad is decent from what I understand, it's just not good bang/$

and the "best" rads are heatcores to eb honest, it's just that they require a lot of end user work, work that I for one am not personally willing to give. the PA120s are damned good though largely the "best" mainstreme WCing rads

FYI the BIs are good if you're pushing high CFM fans, if you're going for quieter fans then the PAs are definately above and beyond.

http://www.xtremesystems.org/forums/showthread.php?t=158843

13. evermotion

Due to the fact that I got my blackice 3 --- about a year and a half ago for 35 bucks (xoxide sale).... makes it a better cost to performance than anything. :)

14. Blooper008

Blooper008 Well-Known Member

I'd say wait for X38, shouldn't take to long. If you don't wanna wait P35 all the way. Are you 100% sure your mobo and CPU are fried? Tried RMA? I have no expierence in watercooling so i'll pass that one.

15. evermotion

Well I'm rma'ing my graphics card today. I think that it might actually be the problem. Bad thing is, in my spare time I was redoing my wc loop and broke my pump. :) So now I have to fix that also.