Fitness

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by kovan, Apr 28, 2009.

1. kovan

kovan Senior Member

i don't know if there are people who might know something about this, but some might do
    like most of the people that work out know that how higher the weight and how higher the reps you will be gaining size ( in muscles and mass )
    and if you do Lower weight and lower reps you will be gaining strength and minimum size

now here's my question , i have been training about 1 year now .. a bit more
    i have always been doing reps starting high .. like 10 with lower weights and then 8 with higher weight and then 6 with the maximum i can
    now my question to this is .. what sets and reps would be the best to be in between size and strength ?

i hope everyone understands what i mean xD

2. ebolagod

ebolagod Well-Known Member

Um, I take it you want to the in-between of the two..

What I do and have found successful is just alternate. Some days I do a lot of reps with little weights and others I max out. It's worked out well, I'm not that huge but im pretty tone and strong.

3. Tweak.x

Tweak.x Well-Known Member

As you progress do heavier weights and less reps.

4. steez

steez Banned from GR

you need an
    [​IMG]

5. ChunkyGerbil

ChunkyGerbil Well-Known Member

I can do bout 2 pushups den im done niggy

6. iPro

iPro Senior Member

To gain definition, you do low weight with high rep; To gain muscle, you do high weight as much as you can.

As for a workout tip, for each workout, follow this for 2 weeks:
    Start set, half of normal weight 15-20 reps
    Next set will be max -20 lbs, going for 12 reps
    Third set will be max, aiming for 8.
    Last set is a dropset with a superset going into the next workout: Again, go for half the weight, aiming for the biggest burn you can get, immediately going into the next set of weights (preferrably something to deal with the same object)

Workouts shouldn't last more then 45 mins.

The next two weeks should go as follows:
    First set: Max -10 lbs, 12 reps
    Second set: Max -25 lbs, 15 reps
    Third set: Max -15 lbs, 10 reps
    Fourth: Max -30 lbs, 15 reps or until burn.

If -30 lbs obviously can't work, try taking off 30% from your max. Get 8 different motions for each muscle, doing 4 of the 8 each week, alternating constantly. That is the point, or else you'll plateau constantly.
    One more tip I can give you is to do short reps, i.e. benching: Do a full one up, go down, go half way up, go down, and then all the way up. This causes the pek muscles move a little more.

tl;dr just faucking read it.

7. xlink

xlink GR's Tech Enthusiast

ehh depends on what you mean by "low and high reps"
    power lifters are generally smaller but stronger than body builders. they often do upper body exercises in the 3-6 range.

body builders do upper body exercises in the 6-8 range.

general fitness idiots(and sports people) and models go more for 10-50. These guys are smaller than either body builders or power lifters, they do usually have better endurance though

the above however assumes that the body builder and power lifter are genetically predispositioned towards having A LOT of fast twitch muscle fiber. the power lifter does everything he can to ensure that he targets fast twitch muscle fiber and neglects slow and medium twitch fiber since that's taking away resources from the fast twitch(remember you get diminishing returns at higher levels, it will take 10 times as much effort to put on 1lb fast twitch fiber than it will 1lb of medium twitch fiber at the upper levels and medium twitch fiber is for these purposes almost worthless) while the body builder just wants a lot of big muscle and prioritizes fast twitch muscle fiber, but also wants a bit of medium and slow twitch fiber since even though they aren't as big they're easier to gain at the higher levels.

though I will say part of size for your average person depends on genetics. lower reps tend to target fast twitch muscle which is huge and not as dense as medium and slow twitch muscle. Slow twitch muscle is very small and very dense. Higher reps tend to target slow twitch muscle more.

for size it generally depends on your bodies muscle composition. if you have a lot of slow twitch muscle fiber in you just by genetics, you'll get to be the biggest by doing high reps, and some medium here and there, and the occasional bit of high intensity low rep exercises.

so basically it depends on genetics. for strength 2-6 reps, depending on your genetic capacity. Also do isometric holds. for size... this varies. really it does. I suggest doing a lot of everything and seeing how your body responds. The typical person is fairly balanced when it comes to fast, medium and slow twitch muscle, so if you're like most prioritize fast twitch and medium twitch and do a little bit of work to bring up the slow twitch muscle fibers every so often(this will be of detriment if you plan on bodybuilding or power lifting, but it doesn't sound like you are so it's a good way to get more on you with relatively little effort in the short term and it's still good for you.)

so, 1 session low reps, 2 sessions low-mediumish reps, 2 sessions medium reps, 1 session low-medium reps. experiment as necessary.

not true at all, to gain definition you loose fat. the whole lower weight, higher rep thing comes from bodybuilding. When a 300lb body builder cuts down to 250lbs in a few months he looses strength and as such he looses strength. If asked why he's using lighter weights than normal, he'd respond that he's cutting. His rep range is the same as before however. You loose 20lbs of muscle, you're going to be weaker. It's a fact.

let me reiterate this. If you take a 500lb slob who is morbidly obese and you have him doing high reps... you'll end up with a fat slob with small muscles that are hidden under layers of fat. He would have looked more cut if he did lower reps and had bigger muscles which could have stood out a bit more.

8. kovan

kovan Senior Member

well i have been training for a year now with 4 sets and every set higher weight but lower reps and last set i do low weight but higher reps

example
    first set : 154lb 10 reps
    second set : 176lb 8 reps
    third set: 198lb 6reps
    fourth set : 110lb 12-15 reps

^just an example, those weights are usually the ones i do .. some exercises are higher some lower, but these are the most common i do on each exercise/workout

and i and everyone else has noticed that i have grown really REALLY big in muscles and size .. but i have noticed that i could have more strength for the type of body i have.
    I have strength but in my opinion not enough, and i also have some fat covering my muscles , muscles are not visible enough cause i know i have more muscle under the fat
    the fat covers it all, very frustrating to be honest

i wanna gain more strength but in the meantime still gain a bit of muscle, should i stick with the weights and reps i'm doing now or completely change it??

thanks for your help iPoo and Xlink , that helped me out

9. Zohair

Zohair Formerly zohBOT

Stole the words right off my keyboard!

10. xlink

just do power lifting, you'll still gain SOME size.

11. nFx

nFx Well-Known Member

i recommend supersetting. you'd double and def. gain more mass.

12. REclusion

REclusion Senior Member

it all really depends on the workout...

but i usually do a med heavy weight for 8-12 reps for 3 sets.

13. Sock

Sock Well-Known Member

I can hold my breath for two minutes and ten seconds.

That's my record at least.

According to one guy on the internet that makes me "in shape!"

Huzzah!

14. kovan

kovan Senior Member

Xlink, if i do power lifting .. will that help me to loose fat also ?? ..
    and could you maybe make a easy workout schedule for power lifting ?
    I'd appreciate that

I'm 203 pounds and 180cm ( 5'9 ) maybe that will help you a bit more of what i'm capable of so it's easier for you to make the workout schedule
    if you want offcourse :wub:

15. xlink

not really any more than other weight lifting schemes
    fat loss mostly comes down to calories in vs. calories out. Eat less, do more cardio and train hard.

and if you're loosing fat... expect muscle loss and strength loss to follow as well. Take your pick you can either put your body in a highly anabolic state(this would be growth) or a highly catabolic state(as in breaking down fat) but you can't really do both optimally at the same time. Trying to get muscle gains AND fat loss while breaking even calorie wise usually results in very mediocre progress. VERY. The exception to this being if youre in very poor shape, or are on steroids and even then the gains would still be better if you focused on one thing or another.