File Types

Discussion in 'Gaming' started by Cain, Dec 5, 2004.

1. Cain

Cain Well-Known Member

What's the difference between the .jpg, .gif, and .png . I know that most sigs are done in .jpg , unless they have an invisible part in which case they are .gif's. But I also notice that most renders are preffered to be in .png format. Why?

2. eviltrigun

eviltrigun Well-Known Member

in my exprince png's are used by professional photo labs. They are sort of a lossless type.

3. Gez

Gez Well-Known Member

.gif's tend to be of a lower quality of other photo formats but are used when an image is wanted to be animated, this does not include flash

.jpeg's tend to be the most popular image format as it delivers a good quality with very little file size

.png's are used purly because of the high level of quality to the images but they do tend to be of quite a large file size some times 1mb +

.png's are used for renders because of the quality of them but .jpeg's can be used or .gif's if you want it to have a transapent background

4. eFire

eFire Active Member

.jpg have excellent compression but with a loss in image quality (pixelization) and can't have transparencies

.gifs can be animated, are small, can have transparencies, but are limited to 256 color palette, this can be adjusted through dithering options yet a high quality image will look poorly if saved as gif.

.pngs are lossless as mentioned above, they will retain 24-bit color depth, and can have transparencies. Although file size is larger then both gif and jpg. Their exists an animated PNG file type, but I have yet too see it, and by no means is it compatible with any of the common browsers...

c-ya and happy holidays everyone! :D