Favourite Book

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by bismic01, Oct 3, 2005.

1. SM Ciel

SM Ciel Well-Known Member

come on no one else liked teh gunslinger besides me... this book is kick ass its like trigun.... witch is a kick ass anime show...

2. shortfusewar

shortfusewar Well-Known Member

House of the Scorpion - I forogot ill get the book later tho its a good book tho!

3. Andrew

Andrew Well-Known Member

While looking through the few post here, i can see a few people just either 1) grab the biggest author's name they know ...2) copied others. Pretty sad, IMO. Reading is however you make it, its just a matter of finding the right book.

Here are a few books i've read that i would recommend to others(i'll do one or two per author i've read):
    - The Client by John Grisham, and A Time to Kill(----in' amazing..his first book, and he has yet to top it.) He was the first author got me wanting to read, and i haven't stopped since. The Client was the first one i read by him, and i absolutely loved it.

- Rainbow Six is a good book, i can see why its a popular game as well(yes for you geeks, it was a book first). I like any of his Jack Ryan novels, their all good..and always detailed. John Clark is my hero as well! :P The first book i read by his was The Teeth of the Tiger, and i have to admit..i didn't like it that much. It pushed me off from T.C. and more into Robert Ludlum, until i met Jack Ryan in another novel of his.

- Watchers by Dean Koontz, no doubt. Its what made him a mainstream author, and continues to sell his books today. I like him and S.K, but Dean Koontz is often the more..wilder, and imaginative themes, where S.K. is more horror and suspense(why his books are often good movies as well).

- Stephen King. I still am trying to read all his books, their all simply amazing. The first one i read i think, was The Green Mile. Just as a good book, as the movie. If you haven't read his Dark Tower series, you should. Its Lord of the Rings meets Western, and its great. Long, detailed, even alittle adultish in some parts..its just, wow. The final book(book 7)..ending, is something only Stephen King could pull off. The series was written over a span of 30 something odd years, real life..not the actual novel. The Gunslinger, the book in the first series, was something he wrote before writing his more popular first novels. You can see the difference in writing style, and his personal experiences take shape in the book, its indeed going to go down as one of his best books. The Talisman & Black House are pretty damn good to, and also have a connection with the Dark Tower series.

- Robert Ludlum. The best author of his time, and its sad his books never really picked up as movies as well. Bourne series is the best, no doubt..but he has alot of other novels i like. The only one i can think of right now is The Holocroft Covenant, and the Scorpio. I slowly moved away from his books, since after his death, his publishers started whoring and trying to keep alive The Bourne series. Really ticked me off.

If your into fantasy, then theirs two series you have to read:

Lord of the Rings & Harry Potter. Say what you want, but if you haven't actually read them, don't say anything negative. Just like anything in life, give it a chance. I'm the proud owner of all 3 LOTR books, and all 6 HP books.

Before i start naming off the classics, i'll leave one section for one book that suprised me: The DaVinci code. I picked the book up way after it first came out(earlier this year actually) when i was in England. Not sure why, it had a cool cover, i knew it was popular, and it sounded interested. The book opened my mind to other thoughts, and still is a favorite. Going to be a "classic" of this century, IMO.

Some good classics every high school or COLLEGE student should read:
    - Huckleberry Finn
    - Tom Sawyer
    - Uncle Tom's Cabin
    - The Count of Monte Cristo
    - Lord of the Flies
    - Scarlet Letter
    - The Catcher in the Rye
    - any Ray Bradbury books
    - "Night" by Eli Wiesel
    - The Call of the Wild
    - Texas by James A. Michener
    - Kaffir Boy
    - Rain of Gold
    - Made in America(not really a classic, but still a good book :P) by Bill Bryson
    - David Copperfield, or any other Dickens novels. (Tale of two cities, Oliver Twist, etc)
    - Schindler's List

ok, i'm bored..i might edit my list with a few other authors i read, or good books i like.

BFTP

4. Toybox

Toybox Well-Known Member

heh, im not much of a reader but the illiad and the odyssey are the best by far ;)

5. Toybox

Toybox Well-Known Member

another book that i also read back in elementary school is summer of the monkeys, don't know why, just liked that book :D

whoops sry for the double post i clicked on wrong button :(

6. Gothic Surge

Gothic Surge Well-Known Member

Has to be both the classic Hardy Boyz and Harry Potter series

those books rock

7. Andrew

Andrew Well-Known Member

LMAO..Summer of the Monkeys..i remember that book actually. Don't remember the author's name, just the books plot.

8. FfX-Amp

FfX-Amp Well-Known Member

3rd step from the bottom of Dr. Seuss's staircase.
    Enders Game
    Speaker of the Dead
    Xenocide
    all by orson scott card.

Redwall series.
    potter series
    The Dreamcatcher

9. Andrew

Andrew Well-Known Member

Dreamcatcher was the first S.K. novel i read, just remembered :P Confused the hell out of me, at first. I had to read it twice, wasn't use to that sort of novel. Even today, some parts are still fuzzy for me. The movie helped put some things into perspective.

10. IPhenolI

IPhenolI Well-Known Member

my favorite book is the whole harry potter series

11. Gothic Surge

Gothic Surge Well-Known Member

o ya potter fan

o ya great expectations that was a book

also i read about 4 war books let me go get them i'll update the post

12. Toybox

Toybox Well-Known Member

ya ahaha i just remember being a sad book and all the monkeys die, i think, :P was way too far back to remember all details

13. Comatosis

Comatosis Well-Known Member

Harry Potter series
    LOTR series
    Pretty much everything written by Michael Crichton
    The Hot Zone

14. Andrew

Andrew Well-Known Member

You read the Timeline by him? I read it around 4 years ago, i believe. The movie was decent, but the book is still better :)

Its the only book i own by him, lol

15. bismic01

bismic01 Well-Known Member

wow really pick up in the last hour... glad to see im not the only computer geek that reads tons. keep em coming guys this is good