Faster Windows Xp

Discussion in 'Gaming' started by Mathijs.Design, Jan 22, 2008.

1. Mathijs.Design

Mathijs.Design Well-Known Member

Greetings,

I caught myself reformatting my laptop quite often. I was wondering if you guys have some tips which make my computer faster, as in; turning off some useless windows programs or other random crap?
    I myself usually turn of the graphics of windows xp, that quickens my computer quite a lot. Further more I would like to know if its worth to install a virus scanner. I know it protects you from viruses, but is it really that necessary? I mean, if you keep away from weird sites and stuff and format as often as I do (once a month or more) I don't see the use of a virus scanner, or can you tell me otherwise?
    Last but not least, is it worth and really necessary to update your windows or does that slow down your computer as well? Oh and one more thing; which windows xp is the best? I thought there were quite a few versions of it.

Thanks in advance!

2. .ZERO

.ZERO Nig┬Łga wit a PSD

Defrag, I use diskeeper and keep it on a defrag cycle of 1/hour

3. frontmill

frontmill Senior Member

Defragging is highly overrated, it doesn't give you any advantage noticable by human eye. Think of it this way: a harddisk spins several 1000's times per minute, what defragging does is putting all "sectors" that belong to one file in the same area of the harddisk, so that the harddisk only has to make 1/3rd spin instead of 2/3rd (to read the whole file). As you may understand: it doesn't matter if the harddisk has to spin 1 or two rounds extra, since (as I said) a HDD is able to make several thousands of rounds per minute.

If your computer knowledge is good enough, I believe that a virusscanner is not necessary (as long as you are extremely careful). In that occasion a firewall should do. If you want to use a virusscanner anyway, use nod32, its one of the best scanners and it only uses a quite small part of your system's recources.

There are 2 XP versions: home and ---. --- is the best, but I don't think the ordinary computer user would notice a diffrence between the two. For vista: the most expensive is the best. The more expensive, the more options and features.

Windows updates are sometimes necessary, but yes they do slow down your pc. In this case though, I would recommend you to choose for your pc's security and not for it's speed.

Futhermore you could go to start>Run and type 'msconfig' (without the ' ') in that menu you can choose which programs are started @ windows boot. Just remove everything that doesn't need to be started.

Good luck! Feel free to ask any more questions

4. Hadouken

Hadouken Well-Known Member

Basically, just use the computer with the classic windows desktop, disable system restore/automatic updates.

5. xlink

xlink GR's Tech Enthusiast

or 20 spins per item for 50 items because they're located in completely different areas.