English Homework

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by ZeRo-, Nov 5, 2008.

1. ZeRo-

ZeRo- Well-Known Member

I don't understand how to write a sentence in the active form.

So i have a couple of sentences here so maybe you guys could help me out.

1. Many accidents are caused by careless driving.
    2. I'm not often invited to parties.
    3. How much money was stolen in the robbery?
    4. We where being followed. (this doesnt make sense so im guessing We are being followed? or We were being followed.)
    I guess 4. would be Are we being followed.? or Were we being followed?

5. The room is cleaned everyday.
    So how would this be? Everyday the room is cleaned. or They clean the room everyday?
    6. This road isn't used much.
    7. The room will be cleaned later.
    8. Magazines can be bought on the train.

It would be nice if someone could help me out they are fairly easy but i dont really get them that much.

and when writing sentences in the passive form do we leave out the doer of the action? for example

The director has cancelled the meeting.
    so in passive it would be like this.
    The meeting has been cancelled by the director. or The meeting has been cancelled?

so which one of these is correct?

and can anyone help me make out what it says on this picture. It is also part of my homework.
    Code:
    http://img76.imageshack.us/my.php?image=dsc00070su9.jpg
    So it would be nice if you guys could help. I will also will be giving out credits to the people that help me out if your person helps me i will give them all my credits.
    thanks

2. Sanity Penguin

Sanity Penguin My sex is on fire

Passive is formed by "to be" + part participle (are caused in the 1st sentence)

Active is just using a plain tense so to speak
    So that first sentence would become then: Careless driving causes many accidents

3. pianoman0723

pianoman0723 Well-Known Member

Passive Voice:
    Things were done by the subject.

Active Voice:
    The subject did things.

4. }SoC{SainT

}SoC{SainT Well-Known Member

Wow, so let's all refuse to teach people so they grow up ignorant. Gee, you guys sure are nice. So what if he's trying to get help on a message board. That doesn't mean you need to be jerks.

Did you take that photo, or did your teacher decide to be a pain intentionally? I've tried a number of things, but I can't get what's not there.

This website explains pretty well what you're asking for. It also has other pages that you might want to look at over the course of your English class.

To answer your last question:
    It seems that they're both right.

Zero, this is really negative advice, but I wouldn't ask for academic help on here. I've watched other people do it in the past. People aren't willing to help, either because they themselves don't know it and won't admit to it, or they're just being stupid. Every single person who posted in here had time to type "active form" "passive form" in their google search bar and find that website, which happened to be the first result. Does your school offer tutoring at all? It can be extremely helpful, and they generally try to explain concepts instead of give answers. (as well as help you instead of insult you...)

I can't say if this site is any good, but http://www.studentquestions.com/ is for asking questions about homework. There are other sites out there, but I can't seem to find them right now. I ran into a message board a few years ago where teachers and students both frequented it and offered assistance, I just wish I remembered what it was called.

Hope you do well on your test. I'd do a bit of cramming just before, so write up some notes and take them to class with you ;)