*emergency*

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Limjoco, Apr 21, 2005.

1. Limjoco

Limjoco Well-Known Member

Sorry to do this guys but someone out there must know.. SO PLEASE ANSWER

How does a barcode sensor work?

Please give a decent answer if you are not just
    'it senses barcodes.'

2. Limjoco

if someone gives me a decent answer I will give you all my credits.

3. Michael

Michael Well-Known Member

Pen type readers consist of a light source and a photo diode that are placed next to each other in the tip of a pen or wand. To read a bar code, you drag the tip of the pen across all the bars in a steady even motion. The photo diode measures the intensity of the light reflected back from the light source and generates a waveform that is used to measure the widths of the bars and spaces in the bar code. Dark bars in the bar code absorb light and white spaces reflect light so that the voltage waveform generated by the photo diode is an exact duplicate of the bar and space pattern in the bar code. This waveform is decoded by the scanner in a manner similar to the way Morse code dots and dashes are decoded.

Laser scanners work the same way as pen type readers except that they use a laser beam as the light source and typically employ either a reciprocating mirror or a rotating prism to scan the laser beam back and forth across the bar code. Just the same as with the pen type reader, a photo diode is used to measure the intensity of the light reflected back from the bar code. In both pen readers and laser scanners, the light emitted by the reader is tuned to a specific frequency and the photo diode is designed to detect only this same frequency light.

for for your viewing pleasure go http://www.taltech.com/TALtech_web/resourc..._bc/bcbascs.htm

Pen type readers and laser scanners can be purchased with different resolutions to enable them to read bar codes of different sizes. The scanner resolution is measured by the size of the dot of light emitted by the reader. The dot of light should be equal to or slightly smaller than the narrowest element width ("X" dimension). If the dot is wider than the width of the narrowest bar or space, then the dot will overlap two or more bars at a time thereby causing the scanner to not be able to distinguish clear transitions between bars and spaces. If the dot is too small, then any spots or voids in the bars can be misinterpreted as light areas also making a bar code unreadable. The most commonly used X dimension is 13 mils (roughly 4 printer dots on a 300 DPI printer). Because this X dimension is so small, it is extremely important that the bar code is created with a program that creates high resolution graphics (like B-Coder). For a good description of the different graphic file formats that are commonly used to create bar codes see: Raster vs. Vector Graphics
    CCD Readers

CCD (Charge Coupled Device) readers use an array of hundreds of tiny light sensors lined up in a row in the head of the reader. Each sensor can be thought of as a single photo diode that measures the intensity of the light immediately in front of it. Each individual light sensor in the CCD reader is extremely small and because there are hundreds of sensors lined up in a row, a voltage pattern identical to the pattern in a bar code is generated in the reader by sequentially measuring the voltages across each sensor in the row. The important difference between a CCD reader and a pen or laser scanner is that the CCD reader is measuring emitted ambient light from the bar code whereas pen or laser scanners are measuring reflected light of a specific frequency originating from the scanner itself.
    Camera-Based Readers

The fourth and newest type of bar code reader currently available are camera-based readers that use a small video camera to capture an image of a bar code. The reader then uses sophisticated digital image processing techniques to decode the bar code. Video cameras use the same CCD technology as in a CCD bar code reader except that instead of having a single row of sensors, a video camera has hundreds of rows of sensors arranged in a two dimensional array so that they can generate an image.

The factors that make a bar code readable are: an adequate print contrast between the light and dark bars and having all bar and space dimensions within the tolerances for the symbology. It is also helpful to have sharp bar edges, few or no spots or voids, a smooth surface and clear margins or "quiet zones" at either end of the printed symbol.
    Interfacing a bar code reader to a PC

All application programs support bar code reading as long as you have the right equipment. Bar code readers are available with two types of output - either "keyboard wedge" output or RS232 output. The bar code readers with keyboard wedge output plug directly into the keyboard port on your PC and they also provide a pigtail connector so that you can plug in your keyboard at the same time. When you scan a bar code with the keyboard wedge bar code reader, the data goes into the computer just as if it were typed in on the keyboard. This makes it extremely easy to interface the bar code reader to any application that is written to accept keyboard data.

The keyboard wedge interface is extremely simple however it has a few drawbacks. If you swipe a bar code, the cursor has to be in the correct input field in the correct application otherwise you end up reading bar code data into whatever application has the focus. This can cause all sorts of potential problems as you can imagine. The keyboard output also is limited in that you cannot modify the data in any way before sending it into the program that is to receive the data. For example, if you needed to parse a bar code message into multiple pieces or remove some of a bar code message or add in a date or time stamp you would not be able to with a normal keyboard wedge reader.

The other possible output option is to get a bar code reader with an RS232 or "Serial" interface. With these types of bar code readers, you connect the reader to an available serial port on the back of your PC. You would then need a program called a "Software Wedge" to take the data from the bar code reader and feed it to the application where you want the data to go. The disadvantage to this approach is that it is a little more complex however you gain much more control over how and where your data ends up when you read a bar code.

Our WinWedge product line is designed just for this purpose. WinWedge is an executable program that can pass serial data back and forth to other programs using either DDE (Dynamic Data Exchange) or by converting incoming serial data to keystrokes (i.e. it stuffs the keyboard buffer with the incoming serial data). With WinWedge, you can control exactly where the data goes in the target application and you can also perform all sorts of modifications on the data before it is sent to the application including parsing or translating the data as well as adding additional keystrokes or date and time stamps to the data.

WinWedge is extremely easy to use and is designed to have you up and running sending and receiving serial data directly from within your application in just a few minutes. Because WinWedge can pass data using DDE, you can set your application up to insure that the bar code data always goes where it is supposed to go and you can also have your application running in the background and still accept bar code input while you run some other program in the foreground. WinWedge is without question the most robust way to interface a bar code reader to a PC with the least amount of effort.

4. =[Beast]=™

=[Beast]=™ Well-Known Member

A reader is connected through software that reads off the barcode on an item that it is tagged with...all the codes are recorded on a main computer for inventory purposes...THats just a basic answer

5. MaynardsTOOL

MaynardsTOOL Well-Known Member

Nice copy/paste Hydro, I think you've well over-answered his question. :lol:

6. Limjoco

HydrogeN i don't know what ur on, but damn!!
    --

beast thx that a believable answer, you get my creds

7. Michael

I just googled how a barcode reader works and found the website on "how it works". Only thing I am on right now is Caffeine.

He didnt ask for our version of how it works, I figured it was for school or something.

8. Limjoco

it is for school, but did u even read what u copied n pasted?? half the stuff is not even irellevant. I asked for a decent answer. DECENT not perfect and a page long

9. Michael

thats why I added the site so you could choose what you wanted.

10. MaynardsTOOL

MaynardsTOOL Well-Known Member

It's better than decent, so what's the problem? He did what you asked, IMO....just better than you expected.

11. Limjoco

fine fine this man has been told I will give you 400 as well..

12. Michael

WOW, I wasnt complaining or anything. Thanks for the creds. I try to find what I can when people ask, even if it is for free. You are very generous, +rep.

13. Limjoco

lol thx, i said if you help u get all my creds ;)

thx again. its nice to find helpful ppl like u