Dual Moniters Arrghh

Discussion in 'Gaming' started by .infinite, Apr 20, 2008.

1. .infinite

.infinite Senior Member

Ok, I do have two VGA ports, one built-in to my eMachines tower (Model: T2824) and one on my added on video card (nVidia GeForce FX 5500). I was rearranging my set-up and I plugged my monitor into the built-in port, but the screen wouldn't come on. So I plugged it into my video card port and it worked. That was yesterday but now I'm trying to run dual monitors and the set-up for dual monitors isn't picking up my attached monitor.

Main monitor I've been using is an eMachines, the secondary is a CTX monitor.

How do I enable both slots, eh?

2. Bleak

Bleak Well-Known Member

I believe you can't use them both at the same time.

If you installed your GFX card yourself, and followed the directions; the on board GFX should be disabled, leading you to not be able to use it. If you have both enabled you will most likely have a conflict of both working.

What type of graphics card do you have? If it has a DVI and VGA or even an S-Video out, you can use those for a dual monitor setup, since it is something you setup with the software that came with the card.

3. rueterj

rueterj Certified IT Professional

You cannot use onboard gfx and a seperate gfx card....the BIOS disables onboard gfx as soon as it recognizes a seperate card installed......you will need to buy a card with multiple outputs.....most new cards have them now.

4. AKW

AKW Senior Member

If you enable both you will get an unavoidable IRQ error. Nothing you can do. You need a card capable of doing it. Sorry man.