Desktop problem

Discussion in 'Gaming' started by kalebaha, Aug 9, 2010.

1. kalebaha

kalebaha New Member

Im pretty stupid when it comes to things about computers.
    i know a little bit but this is just beyond me i dont know if its a hardware problem software problem or what.

But i reformatted and reinstalled Windows xp Home SP2 due to virus problem, sumhow got a virus and it $#@^#@ over my computer and i wasnt able to access internet, download nearly anything, or even system restore... so i reinstalled the windows and thought that i will just start all over again,

but wen i tried to set up internet nothing would work...still... i went to device manager and said that everything was working except: Ethernet Controller, Multimedia Audio Controller, RAID Controller, RAID Controller.

They all show yellow bubble with exclamation mark in them and i try update, reinstall and watever but i cant cause no internet... i have no othr CDs other than the windows xp home SP2 disk.

i know my computer works with my internet cause it was working... before the virus.
    i dont know much about the desktop because my dad is the person who gave it to me and always messed with it.

2. epik-designs

epik-designs Banned from GR

The SP2 is almost like an add-on correct? you might need to get the XP disk. also maybe you need to find a disk for the internet driver. I dont know what raid controller is. but possibly you still have virus problem

3. Clash

Clash The Go-To Guy

The XP SP2 disk is just XP including SP2 so you don't need to download it.

What Virus did you have? Did you catch the name of it?

It SOUNDS like some serious malware that may have done damage to your network card. You'll have to open the case and check the card for any physical damage.

BEFORE you go play doctor with you computer...
    In the device menu, try and reinstall the drivers for your network card. (your Ethernet controller)

If neither solution works, try smearing peanut butter on the card and take it to get serviced.

4. epik-designs

epik-designs Banned from GR

Actually now that i think of it.... i believe my old computer (i redownloaded xp also) had the same problem. i believe what clash said will work, redownload the drivers. i think thats what i did. but im not sure. i did alot lol to that computer anyways.

5. Ravr

Ravr _______________

its clearly that you need to install drivers. because in windows xp the drivers dont automaticly install like in vista/7.

6. Kay87

Kay87 Well-Known Member

also do you have to download drivers for the RAID controller (i have no idea about raid controllers but i guess that youd need em reinstalled after reinstalling xp)

7. Clash

Clash The Go-To Guy

Let me know how the peanut butter works out.

8. Kay87

Kay87 Well-Known Member

does it matter which peanut butter is used?
    chunky or smooth?

9. Clash

Clash The Go-To Guy

chunky actually increases your CPU performance.