Dedicated Gaming Server

Discussion in 'Gaming' started by cochise, Oct 11, 2006.

1. cochise

cochise Well-Known Member

I'm going to be starting a monthly (or bi-monthly) lan party at my university, and my friend and I anticipate that we will turn a large amount of people, enough to justify a dedicated server. I have experience building comps and setting up networks thats not a problem. I'm wondering if anyone can recommend a build for me. A few things I know about setting up servers is that I don't need a expensive video card, and I do need a good processor and a fair amount of ram, more than a gig anyways.

Keep in mind that we probobly wont have a ton of money, maybe we'll have enough for around a grand. The cheaper the better in our situation. Also, I plan on running more than one game on one server, so I may have a CS:S server, a CS 1.6, and a BF2 server going at the same time, if possible.

I was thinking something along the lines of a http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?...N82E16819117102

Can you scavenge through newegg and find a intel mobo with integrated video?

Or something from AMD would be fine too.

Could I even run a server with a low end comp, I'm talking sempron processor and 2 gigs of ram.

Please post your thoughts.