Day Of Defeat: Source Review

Discussion in 'Movies' started by Scooby.05, Feb 22, 2006.

1. Scooby.05

Scooby.05 Senior Member

[​IMG]
    Breaking away from my sports reviews, here’s a review of another HL2 mod. Made popular on the weekend before Valentine’s Day with Steam’s free weekend promotion, Day of Defeat: Source (DoD:S) is another exciting modification brought over to the Source engine. It’s Valve’s WW2 game for those of you who never played the original. Teams compete to capture control points on a map in a game that can swing in momentum at any given time behind a single player.

From my playing time, I haven’t really seen as big of a hacking problem as the Counter-Strike series has. Sure, there’s some roaming around ruining the play of clean players but most of the time there’s an admin in the servers to take care of it. Going along with the types of people in the game, there’s a larger population of older more mature players. Of course you still have those immature people who think it’s a good time to wound teammates trying to play the game correctly and win the round. Unfortunately, those types of players seem to hang around longer than hackers. But what can you do, people will be people regardless.

The maps are a bit smaller than I’d like to see, but there’s another mod being released (Red Orchestra, some might know it from being a uT2K4 mod) next month which promises to have larger maps and a more realistic war feel to it. All in all, DoD:S is one of the more exciting games I’ve played recently on the PC. As I said earlier, the momentum of this game can switch on a dime all because of one player which adds to that excitement. The problems that plague Counter-Strike Source, E.g. hit boxes, didn’t follow suit surprisingly. There are a few problems due to lag, but that’ll happen with any game really. If you’re growing tired of CS:S or any other Steam game, I highly suggest giving DoD:S a try. You’ll find a more friendly atmosphere online with more mature players in most cases from what I’ve seen.

Overall score: 9/10
    Graphics: 8/10
    Sound: 10/10
    Fun Factor: 10/10
    Replay Value: 9/10

2. Radium

Radium Well-Known Member

Nice review... I really want this game... and I wasn't there to be part of the free weekend. :(

3. osfa

osfa Member

nice review i played it on the free weekend and i thought it was a really good game and i liked how you didn't have to wait till the end of the round you just re appeared back up after a little while :) i reckon lots of people should buy it