Cs Connections...

Discussion in 'Gaming' started by Equivalent Exchange, Jun 5, 2006.

1. Equivalent Exchange

Equivalent Exchange Well-Known Member

Its a technical Issue, so that I assume this should go in Computing rather than games.

I'll get straight to the point. I cant connect to any CS servers. Just a few days ago, it was working fine, but now it just fails everytime I try and connect.

Have tried multiple servers, and both 1.6 and Source. Neither work. Steam connects fine.

Tried Steams "support" forum, didnt get me anywhere...

Edit:

My joyous error
    [​IMG]

2. .eclipse

.eclipse Senior Member

I am more of a 1.6 dude.. so I wouldin't really know what to say. All I would do is make sure:

A ) Your connection is working.
    B ) Make sure you have 27015 port open
    C ) Install any new firewalls or anything? Check if thats blocking anything

Other than that, im sorry, I don't know..

3. Equivalent Exchange

I tried forwarding 27015, but no help. I've always been able to run it without doing that anyways.

4. longhornfreak

longhornfreak Well-Known Member

if you have a lynksys or what ever router update your firmware, and can you open console after being kicked so maybe you will find a better error message, and post the screen shot here

5. Equivalent Exchange

my awesome error...
    [​IMG]

6. BTK

BTK Well-Known Member

So you can see the master server list in steam. Because Steam retreives the master server list with port 27015

Have you installed any new anti virus software lately?

So you can get this right?

[​IMG]

I assume you can because you try to connect to a single server.

Here are some solutuions from the steam site

---------------------------------------------------

Here are some ports steam uses

UDP 1200 (used for friends service)
    UDP 27000 to 27015 inclusive
    TCP 27020 to 27039 inclusive

-----------------

Router Problems

Routers can cause connectivity problems. Linksys routers and Wireless routers especially can cause this. Dual WAN Routers are not compatible with Steam. If you have a stand-alone router and you are having connection problems, you can always bypass the router and plug your computer directly into your modem to see if the router is the problem

----------------------------

Security and Firewall and Anti-Virus Software

If you're using security or firewall or anti-virus software, train them to recognize Steam.exe and all instances of HL.exe and HL2.exe as trusted programs. Consult your program manuals for how to do this.

Typically, if you have a connection problem immediately after a Steam update it is being caused by your firewall.

The best solution is to go to the firewall permissions and remove all references to Steam.exe, HL.exe and HL2.exe and let them be relearned again. Just because there are existing permissions does NOT mean they are correct permissions!

You should also only be running one firewall at a time. Never run two or more firewall programs, they can conflict with each other and cause many different connection problems.

After making any changes to your A/V or software firewall settings please EXIT STEAM AND RESTART before attempting to connect to a secure server. Once you have restarted you should be able to connect to VAC servers.

----------------

Try those things maybe it's your anti virus?

7. Equivalent Exchange

Yeah, I can see the server lists fine and the refresh and retreive server stats like how many people playing fine.

And I;ve never needed to forward those ports before, so I doubt I'll need to. I'll trty anyways though

Merged Post:

Ok, I've come to the assertion it must be a port issue.

I stuck my computer out on the DMZ Host using my router and it connected fine.

I tried the above ports though, didnt work, plus port 1200 which is mentioned on portforward.com.

I guess I can just use the DMZ every time i wanna play cs, but thats a pain and a big security threat =/

8. ale_jrb

ale_jrb Senior Member

Yeah, I wouldn't do that.

Are you sure your forwarding is set up right? Even if you didn't used to have to do it, something might have changed that requires it, and if it isn't set up right, then it won't work.

Well... good luck.

9. Equivalent Exchange

[​IMG]

Also, ended up just using the DMZ to play. Dont see any virus's yet...

10. longhornfreak

longhornfreak Well-Known Member

k since you have a router, try this, if you can. Connect the main internet cord into your computer, and see if it works. if it does.. you deffinatly have a router issue, and i sugges you contact linksys.