Crysis, Anyone Play It ?

Discussion in 'Gaming' started by .crimeFX, Jan 2, 2008.

1. .crimeFX

.crimeFX Well-Known Member

Well i got myself game called crysis since i beta tested it and it was amazing. Any of you guys play it ? what do you think of it ?

2. PhanE

PhanE Well-Known Member

I know there are a few people here that play it. Wish i could >.>

3. .crimeFX

kewl, why arent you playing it ? It doesnt need a beasty computer, well kind of... But i cant run it very high/high on multiplayer because i got 8600GTS 512MB. So i stick to playing 1920x1200 on low execpt object quality is on medium.

4. PhanE

PhanE Well-Known Member

Well my computer is about 2 years old and the best it can do now is BF2. Its not that i don't have the money to upgrade either its just i don't have a credit card to order the parts...yet >.> have to wait by the beginning of summer until i get my life together.

5. .crimeFX

hey thats cool, anyway by that time new gpus will come out and 8800 series should drop a bit, so you will save nice buck. I am planning on getting gpu in around summer time.

6. xlink

xlink GR's Tech Enthusiast

I'm playing crysis
    mostly high/vhigh @ 1600*900
    running an overclocked 8800GTS.

supriised you can run it so well though crime, since the 8600GTS is basically half the card the 8800s are.

FYI for anyone wondering, 2600XT does crysis reasonably well @ medium 1680*1050/1600*1200 and it's a reasonably cheap card often being found for under $100

as for me... I'm waiting until D9P and R700(the next gen products from ATI and nVidia)
    I know nothing about how the two will compare, but I'm willing to bet that R700 will Fix R600 and will basically dominate. We'll see. Either way I'll likely have a new card within a year.

anyone want to buy a G80 based 8800GTS 640?

7. Hadouken

Hadouken Well-Known Member

Is this game coming to 360 anytime soon?

8. xlink

nope.

PC side, crysis can use around 2000mb RAM between the video card and the main system
    the 360 has only 512mb. Same with the PS3

if it came to the 360 or the PS3 it'd be horrid, think bad load times, poor frame rates and the game being vastly limited.

if the Xbox 360 has 1GB of cheep DDR2 RAM embedded within it(this would only raise the systems manufacturing cost by around $10-15 USD FYI) then it wouldn't be an issue
    unfortunately M$ cheeped out and you guys have to suffer for it.

Crysis is a game which pushes technological boundaries. The xbox 360 and PS3 are using tech from around 3 years ago. TBH the most up to date system GPU wise is the 360 since Xenon(the video processing chp in it) was designed especially for the 360 and is very much like ATis current video card the HD 2900(aka R600) in design, whereas the PS3 basically uses G70(the design isn't even manufactured in any any or form now, G80 and G90 replaced it) on a smaller manufacturing node. PS3 side, 80nm G70 is referred to as RSX.

also crysis is designed basically for systems with a lot of RAM, fast single and dual threaded CPUs, and for a lot of memory, albeit slow memory
    the CPU in the xbox 360 could basically be thought of as 6 very weak CPUs which work together. Of These only about 3 threads would be utilized adequately and the rest would sit idle. That's a programing issue. PC side people are pissed too since their quad core CPUs are only about 1% faster than dual core CPUs.

consoles basically have cheap scalable CPUs with no high speed cache and really fast system memory. PC CPUs have a little bit fo really really really fast onboard cache(thnk around 4mb worth) which gets accessed A LOT, and then relatively slow(but a TON OF IT) system RAM. Different designs, different pros and cons. In the past, assuming one was willing to sacrifice texture quality(not an issue since TVs were only SD at the time) it worked damn well for gaming console side. PC side, the system needed to be good overall and not just at gaming hence the extra RAM.

again lots of pros and cons to the designs, just know that crysis was designed in a manner which would cripple it console side, and PC side it's still pushing boundaries. While the game looks and plays sweet today on a $500 PC, we won't eb seeing it like how the developers intended for another year or so.

9. .crimeFX

xlink, i see you sometimes on steam forums, anyway i run crysis at 25-35 fps at 1920x1200 low/medium on mp. It works really well, i mean in doesnt lag at all. I dont know, maybe its because i am using vista 64 ? I was going to dual boot between windows xp and vista but after i installed vista i decided to use vista since it worked really well. And all these people kept telling that you need 4gb :/ well i run 2gb and no porblem.

10. xlink

anyone saying you need 4GB is full of t.

and FYI runs best n 32bt XP(under which no app can use more than 2GB RAM aside form using work arounds), largely due to drivers and reduced OS overhead. Runs better in vsta 64 than vista 32 though

11. LostUchiha

LostUchiha Well-Known Member

I have 2gb of RAM as well and I can run it just fine. I also have a 8600 GT and I can run on medium. Crysis is a good game. Beat it already. Now I play it with cheats on just to scare the enemy AI :P

12. alexd

alexd Well-Known Member

Could they not modify the game to make it playable on the PS3 and xbox?

13. much

much Well-Known Member

If that does happen I would believe it would be a downgrade from the PC version, lose lose situation. Great game though.

14. Joe

Joe Well-Known Member

Sure they probably could, but think about it, it would just be like any other shooting game out there and wouldn't be anything special like it is on computer. It would just probably be a less popular Halo.

15. LostUchiha

LostUchiha Well-Known Member

I think that the only thing that brought up so much hype was the graphics engine. If it weren't for it's awesome graphics, it would be considered a spin-off of Halo, Half-Life, etc.